IGNORED

Let's have a contest

Freebird

OK folks...a while back...I ran across this hat/lapel pin on Ebay. I thought that it might make a nice prize for a little contest here so I started bidding and ended up with it. Now I assume that this is pretty rare because I've seen a few first gen pins but never one like this. It says "South Daytona" "Lions" on it and then "Bike Week 1992" at the bottom.

Now the cool thing is that I bought it from a seller in Germany so this pin has seen more traveling that a lot of actual riders. :)

Anyway, it's in great shape. I didn't put a ruler next to it but it's a pretty good sized pin...probably 2 1/2" across.

I'm going to make this contest very easy to enter. All you have to do is post to this thread about your first introduction to the Yamaha Venture motorcycle. Whether it was a first gen, second gen...heck even a Royal Star...tell us about it. Was in an '83 that you never owned but always wanted or a new '99 RSV?

Now if you don't WANT the pin....enter anyway. I'm sure you can find somebody that would love to have it.

The winner will be chosen by random selection from all entries one week from today.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My introduction to the RSV was in a showroom. My wife and I wanted a touring bike. I had my eyes on a Wing for a few years. I owned a Suzi Intruder. Whenever I would go into the local dealer, I would go check out the Gold Wings. When new model years came out, I would go on the Honda site and build a Wing. Sometimes at work, I would go ogle the Wing pics on the Honda site. I'm in York County, PA where if you don't own an HD, you don't own a bike. That in itself was enough for me to NOT want an HD. So it had to be a Wing or BMW. We sat on a BMW, wife didn't like it. We were buying for both of us so that eliminated the BMW. So I'm down to a Wing. Anyway, I ordered some new tires for the Suzi one day. My wife saw the RSV hiding behind "my" Wing. "Hey, Hon...check this out." I came on this site and asked some questions and I did some other research. The dealer called to tell me my tires were in. I went back to the dealer and we looked some more at the RSV. I told Mike the Dealer Guy, to keep the Suzi tires, keep the Intruder and give me the RSV. Haven't looked back since. This site and the people here had A LOT to do with our decision. We love this bike!

Nice pin by the way - I would love to have it!!

Edited by halfwitt

I remember when I bought my '83 Aspencade back in '86. I looked at a few bikes, one of which was a 2-tone blue Venture. I think it was an '84...it had no stereo and gawd it seemed big and heavy...sorta awkward in comparison to the Aspencade but it was intrigueing... I bought the Aspencade even though it wasn't in as good condition and had a lot of miles. Never rode the Venture. Then about a year or 2 later, I spotted a brand new Venture at a Dealer...she was 2-tone red/burgundy I think...gawd it was gorgeous and they let me try it out... I loved it!..and I wanted to buy it soooo much...but I couldn't afford a new bike at that time.

That was my first "introduction" to the Venture.

It wasn't until about 1996 or 7 before I actually bought one and that was my '85.

Ron is really the one to tell this story, but he won't so I will. We always wanted a nice motorcycle to go on trips. We thought we wanted a Gold Wing. Ron looked at them and discovered that because he is 6'2" he was not comfortable with the floorboard positioning with the GW. So one night he was at an antique car show near where we live, and saw a Yamaha RSV parked there. He was very interested in it's classic styling and noticed the floorboards are in a more forward position. The owner came over and starting telling Ron all about his bike.

So after that we were looking for a used RSV. Could not find one in Cincinnati. Ron found one on Ebay in Ellentown, New York in 2002.

It only had 4000 miles on it. The owner sold it because his friends were HD riders, so that was the only reason he was selling it.

We love it, and are totally happy with it.

Yama Mama

Well mine is a lot like Halfwitt's. I too was in getting tires on my Honda Shadow Spirit at the local Yamaha / Polaris / Victory dealer. I saw this Midnight RSV, we sat on it and the dealer started it for us to hear. (Sound was good and lots of room). And to me it looked like the "traditional" motorcycle engine, "you know V-twin style." But as usual I didn't want to spend that much $$$$$ so we left with the Honda "again".

Anyway 4 years later my girl friend would not ride anymore cause it hurt her back side to much. Only ones riding with me was her daughter or my granddaughter ( 1 1/2 years old and a great rider, will not let go of my shirt till the motor stops and just says weeeee all the time. LOL)

So our good friends wanted to go for a small ride on the bikes and I started looking for a used RSV cause I knew she would be more comfortable on it. Well I found a "used" if you call 1905 miles on a 2005 in 2008 used with ALL the goodies on it for an un-real price. I called on it in New York and the owner sent pictures so I sent a $500 deposit to hold till I got there. Once again my good friend came to the rescue as he has a diesel pick-up truck that he makes his on fuel for. We put a full tank and a 55 gallon drum in the back and took off for Geneva NY at noon on a Friday test drove it, loaded it and drove back to Iowa. (Out and back with fuel and meals for both of us a grand total cost of trip was $228). We were back Sunday morning and I can not say enough good about this bike!

My girl friend had not been on a bike in 2 years and we went for a "short" ride. I kept asking her if we should head back and she kept saying she was fine. To make a long story short I had to refuel before we got home after dark! Took a trip at the end of summer and did 300+ a day and one day 435 and she is fine! Money well spent in my opinion!

I figured I could use the RSV for both of us and ride the Honda for work?????? Well the Honda has been in the shed since. RSV is just to darn nice of ride not to be ridden!

P.S. Granddaughter and I both love the bike too! And wait till she sees what I got planned for us this summer!:whistling:

I guess my first intro to a venture is the 91 I am presently coigsisting with. This old girl was not what I was looking for. I was actually looking for the bike my wife bought nut she ended up with it. On the same day she bought hers I went bake to the dealor that afternoon because I had looked at a v-star earlier that morning and decided to by it. Just as I had signed the papers on the v-star but not handed over the money my salesman came in the door and asked if I had handed over money yet. Of course the answer was no. So he took me in the back where there stood what I call Brandy on her center stand. She had just been traded in on a new rsv. I still to this day and probably always will say she found me . Brandy was not happy with her previous owner and acted up so he would bring her to me. You know its wright when even though shes not running correctly all you can think about is going out and spending time on the road.

I dont own her, I gave her a home, and she helps me preserve my sanity.It's mutual. So I guess you could say it was destiny.

David.

Ps. I now they are in heaven but we don't mind if they ride along .

My wife & I just returned from a trip with our club, we stopped at at Yamaha shop, to pick up, one of our riders wife's new 1100 V-star. My wife saw this new venture sitting on the floor. she inquired how it road, so one of our members took her for a ride. returning 40 minutes later, and a big smile on her face, I know I was in trouble. She slowly came over to me, and ask in her, questioning tone. "Mike???..... will you trade in your Road Star for this new Venture"? (Why I asked) I like it alot. So after, her song an dance, I went in and talked to the dealer. The following, Friday, I picked up the new bike. the wife is very happy with her, New Bike. (which makes me happy, She loves her new bike)what I like most, It thats She's a back seat driver...........

I can't wait for her to falls in love with the 2010 Dodge Dually:yikes:

My first Encounter with a Venture was at the Times when the Vmax hit European Soil. The Bike was all over the Magazines and i read that Yamaha took the Venture Motor and developed the Vmax. I really wasn't into Touring Bikes at the Time, so i took only a short Glance over the VR and cleared the Memory later. I couldn't afford a Vmax anyway, so this was it and i stuck to my CX500Turbo.

Fast Forward ....

When i got back into serious riding in 2000, i bought a Vmax more or less out of an Accident. I got very involved into the Max and i was shopping for a bigger, touring capable Bike and we took several Test Rides on new Bikes. But they couldn't got me hooked up to their Motor Concepts, BMW, Yamaha FJR, modified Hayabusa and what not else.... I was desperately seeking for the right Bike with the right Motor in it, when my Memory stood up one Time and i remembered the displaced VR Motor Story (thinking about a big Tourer when your deep into the Vmax Crowd is definitely a No-No here).

I figured if i was gonna sink a Lot of Money into a new Bike which i'm not gonna like anyway, i could easily spend a Lot less Money into a Bike, i already have some Knowledge about and spent half the Money to get a decent Ride i'd actually love to ride. So, i cought the '93 from Ebay in 2002 at fairly cheap Money, did the needed Repairs, Clutch Brakes and a complete full Service, and love my VR. My Wife was very pleased with my Decision and she loves to ride since we have been out for the first Time. She was a Bit reluctant about riding before, because she always feared falling off the Max big Time.

Well back in 1997 I was looking for a touring bike and mostly found only a few Honda GoldWings. A friend of mine heard about me looking and he called me. He said he had a Yamaha Venture, and that it was ike a GoldWing, but yamaha's version. So I went and took a test ride and my search was over. This was not my first Yamaha as I had a 1981 Virago (920cc) back around the ealy 1990s. Great little bike and had a lot of fun with it. It was the last year for the 920 before Yamaha made it into a 1100. :2cents:

Did I Win?:sign20:

my , at that time , wife and i had a bike but she had a few to many close calls, she told me to trade in both bikes for a cruiser so she could ride on the back so we loaded both bikes up on the trailer and went shopping at a used m/c where house . there was about 150 bikes in it most of them were cruiser or baggers , most of them were HDs so me and the sales man were working a deal on a very nice hd and the mech. walks up and tells me my wife wants to see me in the back , i told him to tell her that i am dealing with the sales man and when i am done i'll see her . there is a lot of people in this wherehouse a week before daytona bike week and this lady stands up on a m/c seat and yell's out , HAY A$$HOLE , MY B#TT FITS THIS ONE AND NO YOU CAN'T HAVE A HARLEY so 15 mins later i am the owner of a 86 VR with no brakes and no idea how to work on them and a week later i am a member here and i know to work on brakes . don't have wife anymore but still have the VR .

Thom

I was working offshore in the Gulf of Mexico for a drilling company...driving all over the GOM coast week after week to go to work anywhere from 300 to 700 miles. Once in a while I would see some bikes sitting with covers on them that belong to other guys that were doing the same thing - going to work. I thought man that would really make my drive more enjoyable. I was pretty much already brand loyal to the Yamahas. This was about 83-84, I went to the Yamaha place in Jackson MS and looked at some Ventures. Really liked them...but they would not let me test drive them. I had never been on a big bike and was not really sure I could handle what seemed like a beast of a motorcyle. A friend of the family heard what I was thinking and owned a gold wing. I talked to him about the big bikes and he told me I need to ride a big bike a little before I jumped off into a bike that big. I took his GW out and was scared to death of it. I was used to smaller bikes where you just flipped them around in the road...I rode Motocross for many years before this. I soon pushed that idea out of my head out of fear of the bike massive Venture. I was only about 120lbs at the time.

Several years passed, about 25 years I guess. I had got back into Motocross since my son was racing now...and he was wearing me out on the track. I got to where I was of more value coaching from track side than on the track with him during practice...plus I had some pretty good spills and it was a lot harded to get up. I realized I do not bounce like I used to. I got the itch for a street bike. Several of my buddies had big Harley Ultra classic bikes and went on some good trips several times a year. The wife was kinda wanting to ride with them also but we were not real sure we could ride on the street. We were kinda scared of all the cars and somebody running over us. I bought a new VSTAR 650 Midnight for a heck of a deal. Thought we would try it out. The Wife and I loved it. We road that little bike every chance we got. We rode over 400 miles one day and it wore us out...on the way back..we would go 50 miles and have to stop to rest out tails.

Since we like the street scene so much it was time to look for a bigger bike. I rode a couple of Harley's and I guess I had great expectations with the harley. It was OK but not what I expected. I actually thought something was wrong with the first Ultra Class I got on. I just felt funny to me, like the tranny or drive chain was loose or something. My wife wanted a White Screaming Eagle., but I could not force myself to pay that for a bike. I am not bad mouthing the Harley they are very good bikes...beautiful bikes...it just did not fit me. I Lerked on this site...and did a lot of research. I was really hoping for an upgrade for 2009 to the RSV. I was really disappointed when they did not upgrade the 09 bike. I was about to buy a harley. I just could not do it. I would go to the harley shop to look and I did not seem to fit the harley crowd. I do not like real loud pipes.

I decided to buy the Venture but did not like what my wife called fishing lure colors of the 09 or 08. I really wanted a midnight RSV. I thought about buying a gray 08 and have it painted black or even maybe white. Too much trouble. I figured their had to be a 07 midnight some where in this USA of ours. I got the dealer to find one...he found one in Kentucky and I went after it for the dealership. Keep in mind I had never rode a RSV at this point but from all the information I found on this site...It was the bike of choice and it was a Yamaha. I have owned 12 Yamahas, over the years mostly all racing bikes...they were rock solid.

I borrowed a trailer and went after it. I was afraid to ride it up in the trailer since I had never rode one yet... I hauled it home...washed it up real good...got the tag and insurance, took off on it and never looked back. I purchase it 10/30/08. so far I got 3000 miles on it and cannot wait till spring/summer. A 400 mile trip on this bike is like sitting on the couch. The wife loves it and is also looking forward to the summer trips. We are currently preparing the bike for trips with a few accessories needed...fully in anticipation for spring/summer. I hope to see some of you on the road soon.

There was a span of a few years where I didnt have a bike. Once I moved to Florida from NY I decided that its time to find another bike. I bought an 83 wing but I just couldnt get comfy on it and it needed too much work. A friend said that some old guy down in Palatka FL had a stroke and couldnt ride his bike anymore and was selling it for a song. I drove down there and there sat a black standard 83 Venture. It reminded me of someone from work up in NY who bought an 83 when they were new. The left side fairing was cracked where he dropped it while trying to ride it after his stroke. I struck a deal and bought the bike really cheap. It needed some TLC and after several weeks it was back on the road. Had a great time on that bike until 2nd gear took a dump. By then Yamaha had come out with the 99 and I was bitten all over again.

My gain was unfortunately at the loss of another. Husband to wife's friend at work was dying of Cancer. He wanted to sell his 04 RSV before he died since it was in his name only. The wife wanted nothing to do with the bike. He owed a certain amount on the bike (this was 06)and he knew I was looking for a bike. He offered it to me if I'd take over payments. The bike was worth considerably more that what he owed but he refused my repeated offer to pay more. Have been riding in style ever since.

RIP Tex.

Can't resist this one.................

this lady stands up on a m/c seat and yell's out , HAY A$$HOLE , MY B#TT FITS THIS ONE AND NO YOU CAN'T HAVE A HARLEY so 15 mins later i am the owner of a 86 VR with no brakes and no idea how to work on them and a week later i am a member here and i know to work on brakes .

Thom

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :sign back to topic:

What a neat thread.. Don't put me in the running for the pin, but I'll be glad to tell you our story..

Peggy and I Started riding a few yrs. back on a Honda VTX1300R. We took a couple of long trips and with peggy's neck and back problems, we had to look for a different bike. In the group we were riding with there were a few different brands of bikes being ridden. One of the guys was selling his Ultra Classic (I alway wanted a Harley) so I went for a ride and thought it was okay, but it was up to Peggy if we got it or not.

She was very dissatisfied with the ride and comfort. So I was hedging toward a Honda GoldWing..Another guy had a RSV Midnight. Mike took Peggy for a ride, she wanted to compare the RSV and the Harley..

What can I say we went to the local dealer looking for a 2008 RSV Charcoal/Silver The dealer didn't have one but he did have a 2008 RSV Blackcherry/Raven. Peggy fell in love with the color. We made the deal and she's had a smile on her face ever since. Oh Yeah I think it is a great bike too:big-grin-emoticon: Last June we took a vacation and did the BlueRidge Parkway, and the Skyline drive from start to finish and back again. We are loving every mile we ride!!!

My introduction to the RSV was the same as Halfwits introduction...happened in a showroom.

My wife and I left the house to go purchase a brand new wing. At the showroom, I sat on a GW, and began asking the sales rep about this switch and that switch as to what they were for and basic questions about the bike.

In the mean time, my wife was walking around the showroom just looking at other bikes.

My wife was about 40 feet from me and she politely called out: HONEY, "what about this one" ...as she was pointing to an 05 liquid silver RSV.

As I was sitting on the wing, I asked the sales rep; What kind of bike is that one over there?

He said, Ah, thats nothing but a Yamaha Venture. You would be better off buying this one because your sitting on the best touring bike on the road right. I said I wanted to go look at it anyway to check it out, as I walked over to it I said..WOW.. I like it..

It was love at first site...

I asked the sales rep, what does the GW have that this one doesnt have?

He said, well the GW has reverse, and this one doesnt.

I said, ok, what else.

He said the GW has a CD player, this one doesnt.

I said ok, what else.

He said: The GW is an 1800 cc and the RSv is a 1300cc, lot more power with the gw

I said ok, what else.

He said thats about it..

I said well, for 6k in the difference in price, I think I could purcahse a CD player if I really wanted one, and as for reverse, I only need to make sure I park where I dont have to push this one backwards, so I would like to talk about a deal on this RSV.

His price didnt agree with what I had in mind, so I left and the next day purchased an 05 RSV from another Yamaha dealer in Cullman, Al., and it was 3k less that what the first dealer wanted..

I have been very happy with it ever since:thumbsup2:

It's interesting that I'd always had a bike. From a youngster when I had a frame with a lawn mower engine in it until I was in my early 30s and our first child came along.

In 1984 my wife informed me that she was pregnant and in the fall of that year I sold my bike. The intent was that at some future date when the kids grew up and didn't have time for us any more we'd get another one.

It was always in the back of my mind.

In 84 the bike I wanted was the VR and that never left so when the time came some 20 years later the bike I was looking for was already burned into my head.

The trick was to find one in good shape and I didn't know about this club or eBay so I was going around to bike shops and looking in the paper etc. I even knew I wanted the two tone gold.

I seen a few but they were in rough shape or the wrong colour or something just didn't feel right but one day, after 2 years of searching I saw an ad in a scooter shop only a couple of hours away so off I go.

Took the navigator back the next day and we bought her. It was for sure the right choice and I still get a big grin every time we fire her up.

Wayne

First, i have never been big on riding two wheels.

when i found my '86 v.r., i wasn't even LOOKING at buying a bike.

both my brothers had recently re-started riding, so i thought "what the heck".

i spotted this bike in a friend's renter's yard, and asked him to find out how much the guy wanted for it.

the next day, i bought the bike AND a "smitty built" trailer for $5oo.oo !

so far, in the past two years or so, i have ridden it less than 250 miles.

i expect that mileage to increase, now that i don't have anything but time.

just jt

Been riding some sort of motorcycle starting on dirt to when I turned 16 and bought a Honda 550. I remember my mom asking why I bought such a big bike. Told her I wanted to go on trips and this bike was big enough and yet small enough to enjoy around here. Also told her that I didn't want to be sitting in a rocking chair one day on the front porch and watch bikes go by and wish I had rode when I was younger. Few years later I bought a Honda 750 and rode it everywhere. Always got it out when the temps. reached 40 and didn't put it away untill untill the same. Met my wife and our first date was on that 750, which was in the middle of Oct. When spring arrived, she told me that some of her other boy friends had had bikes but she didn't ride much with them. I told her if she wanted to continue to see me, she would be riding because I parked the car for the summer. Going forward , we got married and we had always talked about a full dresser to travel on. Started looking, Wings, Kaws, BMW, Hd's, and Yam. (By the way, my wife's dad was the last acting president of the Throttle Twisters, a Harley club. out of Napoleon, Oh. ) We went with him to the HD shop that a friend owned and I was offered a new FLT for 100.00 over invoice. Just couldn't afford the insurance. New wife and house you know. The wife and I was debating between the wing and yam. when she saw this black and gold 86 VR. I liked the VR better than the wing anyway, and she said that it looked RICH and she loved the color. Bought that bike and we took our honeymoon on it,later we put a sidecar on it for the kids. Now the sidecar is off, my son rides a sportster,my daughter can't wait till her car is paid for so she can by a bike and we are still on that old 86, still in love and in love with the bike. A word to the wise, don't offer me money for it while she is within earshot, unless you have your life insurance paid in full. I quit telling her about offers because she takes it out on me.

Few years back I was riding a Honda CX500 that was saved from the Virgina Mud. My friend Gary was riding a Royal Star at the time and another Friend had a Gold Wing. 2 years later Gary had a Venture and I was ready to step up and was looking for a used Venture or Gold Wing. Found a deal on a GL1800 that was to good to pass up. 2 years later do to money problems had to sell the wing. So this winter the search started again Gold Wing or Venture. Found an 83 Venture at a great price and bought it. Rode it for the first time today on a short test ride. It will do nicely thank You.

After years of not riding ,we decided to get a good used bike.Mostly for ME to ride back and forth to work,or putz around on a nice day.We found a nice '04 VTX 1300c....well...it took a while,but my wife finnally got hooked. 1 Sunday we rode to a mall 1:15 minuites away,then Starved rock park....figured about 4 hours of seat time,then Paducah KY...6 hours away. while in the hotel she tells me she want to see the mountains and the ocean...and I said..........I think we need a bigger bike.So on the way home we stopped at a Yamaha dealer and sat on one.That was IT!!!! The wife said OH My GAWD!!!!This is SOOOOOO comfortable. We did try the Goldwing(my boss has one and let me ride it.....nahh,the wife sat on it.......NOPE.So we save our money sold the VTX ADN my fishing boat and bought an '08 RSV!!!! LOVIN' IT!!!

:7_2_104[1]:I grew up on a farm riding honda's, in 1980 I bought a new 850L Suzuki whoops sold it a few years later, decided to raise my family so I have been without a bike since. or should I say until Wednesday February 4th 2009.

Heres my story. Once you have ridden on two wheels its only a matter of time before you have to get back on two wheels and have been looking for about a year. On January 1st I helped a buddy pickup his 2006 Venture I was quite impressed knowing another friend out of town had just purchase a 2007 Venture late last fall after short visit with him I was hooked on the Venture he told me about this site, I became a member immediately and have read about everythiing I could find about the Venture, and this is the sad part, living in Fargo North Dakota no one is riding a motorcycle around here not even around the block, so I hope you all know what you are talking about, because I now own a 2008 Venture and dare I say I have never ridden one. I don't even have it home to take a picture to add to this thread. This will be the longest 6-8 weeks ever how ever I am having it deliverd on March 10th I am being optimistic hoping it will be warm enough my Mid March to take my first ride on my new Venture.

Hope I don't have this expression:Bunny2:

Shortly after buying a 86 Gold Wing, I stumbled onto a black 83 that was immaculate. Anyway, I thinks I will sell the Wing, and go get the Venture. Sad part is, the Wing didn't sell right away, and when it did, my Venture also had a new owner:crying:. So I keep scouring the motorcycle trader papers for about 6 weeks, and a few frustrating experiences, and had a hit near Cleveland, so I took a fistfull of cash,just in case, along with my wife. After being disapointed 4 or 5 previous times, I figured we'd be driving back together. After finding the obscure address, we talked to the owner. He said it was his Dads, and they rode together, and his Dad died, and he had one too many motorcycles. When we went out to the garage and he opened the door, it was like, yes, a Royale, if this thing runs, its mine. Pristine condition 86 with 15,000 miles and tons of Ventureline accessories. And run it did. It had recently had a tuneup, valve adjustment, carb sync,etc, and the paperwork for said maintenance on hand, as well as scheduled maintenance by the local dealer. Seller said he'd take $2700, so it came to stay with us for 9 years, and close to 70,000 more trouble free miles and many fond memories. I'd still have it, but the legs were getting very weak, so I traded it off on a new FJR.

In 1983 the Cycle Canada October issue did a feature on the Venture Royal and I was in love. I was 17 at the time, dating a cutie who hung on the back of my '81 Yamaha 250.

Fast forward to the summer of 2006, my kawi 750 had a death rattle. I started looking close to home but the financial advisor (re: wife- cutie from 1983) recommended restraint at the dealership. Started checking out the classifieds, the best options were a 3 1/2 hour drive. Taking cash in hand; the financial advisor had squirreled away, we headed south, on the hottest day of the summer. The air conditioning cratered-- but onward soldier. As we drove up the back alley, we saw money change hands on the sale of the VR. Gotta love first come first serve. Pulled out the classifieds again, lo and behold found another for sale...A 1984 with just 80 000km. I left the yard on the biggest bike I had ever ridden, in a city I've never driven, in a downpour, through construction in rush hour. Life is good. :7_2_104[1]:

I still have that October 1983 Cycle Canada issue.