IGNORED

New Idea for Air Filters

geep,

I did consider those at first. Those are just like the ones I had on my Road Star. Those are the same ones that MAXAIR sells for there "Big air kit" for Yamaha. The porblem was that with the limited research I was able to do/find they would let too much air in. Like most that I found that have done air filter mods to the RSV if the filter is to large then to much air gets in and then everyone had to "re-jet and shim the needle valve or something". Just started getting to complicated. My goal was to simply dress up the air filter area, Not to gain great horse power or anything like that. Thats why I went with the "Pancake" type air filter. From what I could gather they would not let excessive amounts of air in and no re-jeting. Just good looks!! But if you followed along with my post I did go have my fuel air mixture checked and adjusted due to the fact that it had never been done and most commented that the RSV does run lean from the factory. I posted what the findings were and how they were corrected. Sence then my bike has run great without any problems. As for fuel mileage, well I confess I really have not crunched the numbers but I don't seem to have any problems with the bike getting low mileage. I think it has improved but again, just haven't needed to check!!!

Dennis

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made this modification over a year and 20,000 +- miles ago! Love the look and consider it a vast improvement over the stock, coffin looking, air boxes.

I used aluminum vinyl soffit material for my brackets and 1 1/2" pvc sewer drain line since the bell shaped end fit perfectly in the air intake tube. Unfortunately over time my bracket has worn off some of the black paint I sprayed on the white pvc. So while working yesterday in Lowe's I realized the ABS black pipe might be the ticket since it is black through the plastic pipe. I experimented with two different type fittings.

The first was a 1 1/2" abs male adapter (item# 22793 at Lowe's) This abs fitting is snug, like a tight glove, in the air intake tube and in the pancake filter ( http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.732/.f ). Actually did not bother putting the band clamp back on. I installed this fitting on the left side of the bike.

Trying for creativity I then installed a 1 1/2" abs 22 1/2 degree street elbow (item# 74078 at Lowe's) onto the right side. Again, like a glove!

Of the two I like the angled look best (right side). I'm gonna experiment with a full 45 degree street elbow just for grins and giggles tonight!

OK here are some pictures with the filter at a 45 degree angle. I think it is to much! Also considered that the filter at the angle is more susceptible to rain and not as well protected by the cowling! Of the 3 looks I'm leaning toward the 22 1/2 degree on the right side! Love to hear others opinion!

OK here are some pictures with the filter at a 45 degree angle. I think it is to much! Also considered that the filter at the angle is more susceptible to rain and not as well protected by the cowling! Of the 3 looks I'm leaning toward the 22 1/2 degree on the right side! Love to hear others opinion!

Ray,

Have you thought about simply turning the 45 degree angle forward to protect the filter better?

Good idea, I'll go try that! OK here here are the pictures Great protection hate the look, though!

Oh, sorry everyone for my messy looking bike. I usually take better care of her.

I honestly think that straight out to the side is the best 'look' for this and closer to the engine as possible so it looks more like it's part of the bike instead of a Elmer Fudd add-on buckshee job like the 45' forward one looks like (sorry, just an honest opinion as requested lol)..

Erhm.. time to clean the bike up, say wot? egads man... you can't pretend to tell us you ride it so much you haven't time to clean it.. do you? ;) hehe

Thanks for sharing such a neat project.. looks quite interesting indeed!!

looks really good..... how 'bout someone on this site who is a fabricator, come up with something to make the two cowling openings (where original air box sat) into storage units ? just a thought.......

You must have been reading my mind. I was looking at how the filters could be moved back and lower to accommodate some storage there. I am wondering if some could be retro-fit from a wing or HD lowers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FLH-ULTRA-LOWER-FAIRING-GLOVE-BOXES-/140495365571?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b62d25c3#ht_500wt_1070

http://www.sunharleystore.com/Items/58687-89?sck=10880611&caSKU=58687-89&caTitle=HD%20Touring%20FLT%20%26%20FLHT%20Fairing%20Lower%20Glove%20Box%2058687-89

Edited by ragtop69gs

I've been watching this.

Gator06 has gone a step beyond this. He did away with the intake boxes and intake lines. his filters sit up on top of the carburetors under the gas tank. He has a small chrome filter on his oil breather? on the right side. I'll see if I can get him to post some pics of it. He did some rejetting on his carburetors. The look is wide open and he's looking for some kind of storage bags to fit behind the lowers.

I run K&N filters in stock boxes and still get better mileage than he does, frustrates him to no end.

I honestly think that straight out to the side is the best 'look' for this and closer to the engine as possible so it looks more like it's part of the bike instead of a Elmer Fudd add-on buckshee job like the 45' forward one looks like (sorry, just an honest opinion as requested lol)..

Erhm.. time to clean the bike up, say wot? egads man... you can't pretend to tell us you ride it so much you haven't time to clean it.. do you? ;) hehe

Thanks for sharing such a neat project.. looks quite interesting indeed!!

Yep I agree 45 look takes away from the bike. And the forward facing 45, yep I think I would rather chrome a turd! I do like the 22.5 look and the tight look but I think I go with the 22.5 look for the next 20,000 plus miles! Not concerned with the rain. The oil on these filters has done its job over the last year or so and I have been in some serious downpours!

Truly am sorry about the filthy bike! Please don't have me thrown off the website!!

OK Dennis,

I'm in. Would love a little more specifics on what you used - you listed 4 sources but not sure which one you have on your bike (which looks great). Also what it would take to make the K&N work. I know there was some question on how it would work and filling in the blanks.

Love your ingenuity - winter is here so the best time for me to make the mod.

Thanks

Dal

• 1 month later...
Guest msegelle

Dennis, it looks to be a about a year ago you changed your air filters over to the pancakes?

Did you keep them on or have any problems?

I think I am going to do your mod on my06 Venture if you tell me you had no issues I think the mod looks realy good!

:)

Thanks............Mark

For those who missed the formula. 1 cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches. So bikes cubic inches / 2 (because it is 4 cycle) X RPM /1728 (to convert cubic inches to cubic feet) times the expected efficiency of the engine. Most street vehicles, 85%. Turbo and superchargers can push this over 100%.

Expected air flow in CFM, cubic feet per minute.

79.326 / 2 X 8000 / 1728 X .85 = 156.08 CFM @8,000 RPM and 126.81@ 6,500 rpm

Sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes.

Mike

Guest msegelle

OK Dennis I ordered my two 4.5 Pan Cake filters tonight I'll try and post pictures on my 06 Venture once installed.

Thanks..........Mark

To be honest, that does concern me a bit. Changing the air going in could certainly mess up your mixture. That is also why I'm reluctant at this time to add it to the tech library, I would hate to put it there with no good readings on what it does to the air/fuel mixture. I don't THINK you are hurting anything but I'm just not 100% sure.

What I am wondering is what is wrong with the orginal filter system and the looks of the orginal filter cover. I guess chrome is better for some. Is that what this is all about, THE CHROME, or am I missing something here. DanC:cool10:

What I am wondering is what is wrong with the orginal filter system and the looks of the orginal filter cover. I guess chrome is better for some. Is that what this is all about, THE CHROME, or am I missing something here. DanC

Why do people climb mountains? Because...

Why do people change stuff on their bikes? Because it looks cool (most times)..

the pancake filters discussed here are more cosmetic change than anything else.. I have them also.. I'll ride with them locally, but swap out to the OEMs when I go on road trips..

Looks cool.. ;)

Guest msegelle

Ray, I ordered the same pancake filter earlier this week after seeing Dennis's post on the air filter mod.

I like the Lowes idea for your parts for the mod.

Once I get it all put together I'll post my pictures.

Thanks for the great idea!

Mark

A few questions.....I'm not familiar with these oil-charged air filters....What type of oil do you use and what is the correct procedure for application of the oil for the filter?

the typical method is the K&N recharger kit.. it comes with a cleaner agent and an oil charger agent..

You take a clean filter and spray the oil (usually red) onto the element.. the trick is to get it just right, not too much as to clog it up and not too little as the oil is what traps the smaller particles. Usually you go by the colour of the oil onto the filter.. light red means you have enough on there..

When the oil gets dirty, starts looking grey and let red then it's time to clean it.. You spray the cleaner onto it.. let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then run it under HOT water from the inside out to flush the dirt off the filter surface.. Let it all air dry natural and 'recharge' it with the red oil spray when it's completely dry..

Very simple.. I have the K&N filters in the bike and it's more of a chore to remove the filters than it is to recharge them once or twice a year..

the typical method is the K&N recharger kit.. it comes with a cleaner agent and an oil charger agent..

You take a clean filter and spray the oil (usually red) onto the element.. the trick is to get it just right, not too much as to clog it up and not too little as the oil is what traps the smaller particles. Usually you go by the colour of the oil onto the filter.. light red means you have enough on there..

When the oil gets dirty, starts looking grey and let red then it's time to clean it.. You spray the cleaner onto it.. let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then run it under HOT water from the inside out to flush the dirt off the filter surface.. Let it all air dry natural and 'recharge' it with the red oil spray when it's completely dry..

Very simple.. I have the K&N filters in the bike and it's more of a chore to remove the filters than it is to recharge them once or twice a year..[/quote

Thanks much for the info!!!

Boomer