IGNORED

New Idea for Air Filters

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article Dennis. I think the stock air cleaners on these bikes are so ugly. I don't know why Yamaha hasn't done something to make them look nicer. I think yours look really nice in comparison.

I ordered the Yamaha chrome covers, but haven't put them on yet. I started a kitchen remodel on New years day, and it's taking up all of my time.

Could you advise where you ordered the Chrome Covers, cost and the part number? thanks. I for one am staying with the stock filter system as I feel that the engineers know more about the air intake required for proper performance of the engine. Enjoyed reading the write up concerning changing of the filter but I am not sold on it. DanC :cool10:

The venture is liquid cooled, so this "may" not be a problem but I would definately keep an eye on the spark plugs. Possible early failure...

What is one procedure to aid in cooling an engine that is overheating? Enrich the fuel mixture. Enriched fuel mixtures have a cooling effect on an engine.

If you take an airplane up to say 10,000 ft. you have to lean the fuel/air mix, as the higher you go, the thinner the air gets... Now, If someone forgets to place this fuel/air mix knob back to its origional position "in" you can over heat an engine on takeoff, which is cured by reducing climb rate and increasing speed, along of course with pushing the fuel/air mix knob in. Now these engines are air cooled, but, I'd be very careful modifying fuel air mixes on any engine... Too much air could cause a lean condition...

Rule of thumb is when you mess with the air you gotta mess with the jets...

just my 2 cents...

I'd make sure I had an extra set plugs along with me...

What I am wondering is what is wrong with the orginal filter system and the looks of the orginal filter cover. I guess chrome is better for some. Is that what this is all about, THE CHROME, or am I missing something here. DanC:cool10:

Chrome is good, repeat three times.........perhaps maintenance costs are lessened with this mod since the OEM filters are pricey and the K&N conversion even more so?

OK here are some pictures with the filter at a 45 degree angle. I think it is to much! Also considered that the filter at the angle is more susceptible to rain and not as well protected by the cowling! Of the 3 looks I'm leaning toward the 22 1/2 degree on the right side! Love to hear others opinion!

Can you hear these filters sucking? Or is the road/exhaust noise too great?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What to do with the two rubber 1/4" hoses that where attached to the air pods?

I believe those are the overflow tubes from the top of the carbs.? It has been so long since I did the mod it is hard to remember. They route back into the skirt. Look above my filter in the picture. Hope that helps!!!!

What to do with the two rubber 1/4" hoses that where attached to the air pods?

Holy crap bike does not run worth a crap...in fact it won't run at all without about 1/4+throttle...I applied K&N oil to the filters and let it sit for 3 hours before starting bike, runs like plugs are fouled...is it possible the KN oil is doing this and it just needs to burn it self out?

Holy crap bike does not run worth a crap...in fact it won't run at all without about 1/4+throttle...I applied K&N oil to the filters and let it sit for 3 hours before starting bike, runs like plugs are fouled...is it possible the KN oil is doing this and it just needs to burn it self out?

Ok there is a vacuum on both those hoses, PLUGGING the hoses allows the bike to run more like prior to the filter change out, the bike does not want to idle with or without the hoses being plugged, so what gives....the new filters are having some effect on the carbs action IMO

To much oil on the filters! I did the same thing. Had to clean the filters and re-apply a light coat. That should do it. The hoses should not be plugged but routed into the skirt of the bike. They are overflow tubes coming off the top of the carbs.

To much oil on the filters! I did the same thing. Had to clean the filters and re-apply a light coat. That should do it. The hoses should not be plugged but routed into the skirt of the bike. They are overflow tubes coming off the top of the carbs.

So right! I did nothing but wait a day, some oil dripped out of the filters, started it up and runs like with OEM filters, maybe better since it requires very little if any choke now (temps still in the 40s).....all smiles now....I did install the suggested brackets...fabled out of dollar store cutting boards, plastic works better in my shop than metal, painted textured black...thanks guys for all the leg work on this project :)

• 2 months later...

After returning from the car wash (300 mile run with lots of suicidal yellow butterflies) I went to chamois off the much talked about air filters.....the chrome lid came off in my chamois :(

Obviously this is a problem, the chrome lid is just glued to the filter body as shown in the pictures, the inside of the chrome lid is very smooth and did not give the glue much surface roughness to bond too....I am going to drill some holes in the existing glue, rough up the existing glue and inside of the chrome lid with a Dremel tool and using Gorrilla Glue and rubber bands try to reattach.....I guess you get what you pay for but if this is a failure that could happen on the road and you may not notice....hmmmm one way to scuff up your cylinder walls :(

• 6 months later...

Pretty awsome idea. As far as the rain goes, probably by now you all have worked thru this. On my Kawasaki 900 I had a Barrons Big Air Kit. It was a simular open type element on the side of the bike. It had something they called a "rain bonnet" or somethin glike that. Some of my buddy's have Harley's with open type cleaner like this set up to. They have taken a pair of lady's nylons and cut a section out and slip it over the air filters and it works for keeping the driving rain out. Also some of the bugs and critters.

I'm not a big on chrome kind of guy either shinning all that takes time away from riding. But man the aircleaner gig on these things is ugly. I'll bet given a little time and inginuitive thought someone can figure out how to make some storage puches with velcro closures or something to fit in the void.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Leadwolf56 for opening the door:stirthepot:

My warranty has expired, so

I have replaced the stock air box with Pod Filters fitted to my carbs. I also have Roadking pipes with Fulsack baffles in them. VMax cams and a VMax Final Drive. I have a stage one rejet and looking at going to stage 2. My plugs look good- lite tan color.

The VMax Final Drive swap made my MPG go up. Love it.

My mileage at last check was 39 mpg with 2 up and full bags on a weekend trip. I roll on the throttle hard, the wife likes the acceleration.

We love to ride.:bighug::sign Rock On:

Had to laugh, this post got kicked back up. I have looked a some other simular mods all look better I think. I like the compactness of the OP but also have seen one done with the cone filters with like a flame on them. Sort of a cover looking thing. Well shoot I cant find the one I was looking for but this is sort of the idea.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqZ,!noE-zbG)iGPBPv!OT4)jg~~60_58.JPG