IGNORED

How This Big Old Top-heavy Bike May Have SAVED My LIFE

Aimhigh

Let me begin by saying that, like most men, I visit the doctor as seldom as possible.

That being said, one beautiful day last July, while riding the 07 RSV that I have grown to love, I was within my fence leading to my house. Our land is southwest of San Antonio and anyone familiar with the area knows that the one thing in abundance is SAND. Because I was waiting for the gate to close to ensure the dogs did not go out, I was stopped. I was in very soft sand…and…a very stupid negligence on my behalf; I did not ensure I was in first gear.

As I revved up the engine and released the clutch, the front wheel, in the soft sand, turned. Being in the incorrect gear I did not have the power to get moving forward and the bike started falling. My reaction was, of course, to attempt to hold it up. I am 5’ 7” and weight 175 lbs…so you know the outcome. While attempting to right the bike as it was going down, I hurt my right wrist.

After trying to cope with the injury, I finally gave up and made the doctor’s appointment. While visiting the doc, he noticed it had been a while since I had been in to see him…therefore, he asked me to get the usual tests done that should be accomplished every year…especially for a 60+ yr old man.

Well, the tests revealed a problem with the ole PSA, which most men know is a possible indication of prostate problems. After two biopsies revealing “atypical cells” the third one confirmed prostate cancer. I am scheduled for surgery on the 16th of January to remove the prostate. Although I am nervous about the whole thing, I am very happy to have this situation found early enough to be alleviated…thus avoiding any further, more significant, conditions.

Guys, don’t be foolish like I had been and avoid the doctor…had this not been caught (had I not had the bike incident)…the condition would have continued to worsen and, well, who knows what may have been in my future…assuming I would have had one.

If my posting helps but one of you to have the same good fortune as I have experienced, it will be worthwhile.

Knowing that my health is in good hands will enable me to have a great Christmas…I wish you all the same.

Glad to hear they caught it in time, hope the surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery, I get mine checked every year, cant hurt:whistling: Dr says its no picnic for him either:rotf: I am about your same size, so I guess I should stay the H%%$# outta sand.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Let me begin by saying that, like most men, I visit the doctor as seldom as possible.

That being said, one beautiful day last July, while riding the 07 RSV that I have grown to love, I was within my fence leading to my house. Our land is southwest of San Antonio and anyone familiar with the area knows that the one thing in abundance is SAND. Because I was waiting for the gate to close to ensure the dogs did not go out, I was stopped. I was in very soft sand…and…a very stupid negligence on my behalf; I did not ensure I was in first gear.

As I revved up the engine and released the clutch, the front wheel, in the soft sand, turned. Being in the incorrect gear I did not have the power to get moving forward and the bike started falling. My reaction was, of course, to attempt to hold it up. I am 5’ 7” and weight 175 lbs…so you know the outcome. While attempting to right the bike as it was going down, I hurt my right wrist.

After trying to cope with the injury, I finally gave up and made the doctor’s appointment. While visiting the doc, he noticed it had been a while since I had been in to see him…therefore, he asked me to get the usual tests done that should be accomplished every year…especially for a 60+ yr old man.

Well, the tests revealed a problem with the ole PSA, which most men know is a possible indication of prostate problems. After two biopsies revealing “atypical cells” the third one confirmed prostate cancer. I am scheduled for surgery on the 16th of January to remove the prostate. Although I am nervous about the whole thing, I am very happy to have this situation found early enough to be alleviated…thus avoiding any further, more significant, conditions.

Guys, don’t be foolish like I had been and avoid the doctor…had this not been caught (had I not had the bike incident)…the condition would have continued to worsen and, well, who knows what may have been in my future…assuming I would have had one.

If my posting helps but one of you to have the same good fortune as I have experienced, it will be worthwhile.

Knowing that my health is in good hands will enable me to have a great Christmas…I wish you all the same.

Jim, I wish you all the best and you're right all guys over 50 should get the test done. I recently got a call from my Dr after I had the PSA test and he wants me to have another as it was slightly elevated, so I go on the 10th of this month for the retest and have to see him on the 17th so we'll see how that goes. Good luck to you.

Ian

Hope for a fast recovery so you can get back riding i had a simaler thing happen to me last year but not with my rsv a freind has a hd and would not start so he asked if i would help him push start it after many trys no luck but as i was about to get on the rsv to get a trailer to put it on and my wife was getting on the back i felty faint next thing i knew i passed out and she talked me into going to hospital had i had two blocked arterys going to my hart and had stents put in i was feeling fine but had his hd not broke down i still may not have know i had a problem so get cked it is worth it

kevin wisor

rsv jax fl

Hope for a fast recovery so you can get back riding i had a simaler thing happen to me last year but not with my rsv a freind has a hd and would not start so he asked if i would help him push start it after many trys no luck but as i was about to get on the rsv to get a trailer to put it on and my wife was getting on the back i felty faint next thing i knew i passed out and she talked me into going to hospital had i had two blocked arterys going to my hart and had stents put in i was feeling fine but had his hd not broke down i still may not have know i had a problem so get cked it is worth it

kevin wisor

rsv jax fl

that's exactly how i feel about my ordeal, Kevin.

Good on you for going to the Doc Jim!

I generally avoid Doctors like the plague except when it comes to heart and prostate. 2 years ago at age 56 I had my first thorough exam of the "rear hatch". They removed 6 polyups! All tested clean but my Doc has me go through the whole procedure every 3 years now to be on the safe side.

****Good luck with your surgery and fast recovery.****

And to any man who is 50 and over I say get the prostate exam done. The worst part of the whole procedure is flushing the plumbing good the night before.....and I mixed the "flushing agent" with fruit juice so even that was not too bad.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but I have heard of two aquaintances having a lot of problems (one resuting in death) from the colon-op.

One is in the hospital with a punctured spleen?

I know many go through it with no problems but it seems I am hearing a lot of the negatives lately? I am 51 and not too sure I want to have a 6' tube going where no man has ever gone before:225:

Jim...first of all let me wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Secondly, ... well, let me just say I have been procrastinating for WAYYYY too long now and your post has essentially "kicked mah butt" into gear. I have the appropriate paperwork to go to the lab for tests.... just haven't done it. I WILL ON SATURDAY and I mean this coming Saturday, not "one of the ones next year" like I've been doing.

Thanks!

Jim...first of all let me wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Secondly, ... well, let me just say I have been procrastinating for WAYYYY too long now and your post has essentially "kicked mah butt" into gear. I have the appropriate paperwork to go to the lab for tests.... just haven't done it. I WILL ON SATURDAY and I mean this coming Saturday, not "one of the ones next year" like I've been doing.

Thanks!

thanks for the feedback...it appears a few have gotten the message and i feel my story has been of service...as i said at the onset if only one person gets the message, it will have been worth the posting.

The best of luck..... A cause known to all men but yes... most ignorred. My wife says for my 50th birthday coming up in the new year she is making me see the doctor. Her brother would not see his docor even when he was sure he had a problem.

In Canada we help raise money for Prostate research by riding .... I dont know about where you may live but look and see if you can find something simular in your area. Any time I can ride my motorcycle and help a good cause... sign me up.

Check out The Ride for Dad......

http://www.motorcycleridefordad.org/

west coast (vancouver Island) is my area

The best of luck..... A cause known to all men but yes... most ignorred. My wife says for my 50th birthday coming up in the new year she is making me see the doctor. Her brother would not see his docor even when he was sure he had a problem.

In Canada we help raise money for Prostate research by riding .... I dont know about where you may live but look and see if you can find something simular in your area. Any time I can ride my motorcycle and help a good cause... sign me up.

Good cause Kevin, I have done this ride in Windsor for the last 2 years and this year we had 789 riders, pretty impressive to see that many bikes lined up.

The prostate is the easiest test to have done and there's no reason for putting it off, get past the snap of the Dr's glove for the digital exam and blood for the PSA and its a breeze.

The colonoscopy is not to bad I had it done this summer, you don't feel anything, they put me out for it, the worst part is drinking all that crap to make you "go".:whistling: All guys need to git-ur-dun for peace of mind.

Ian

We had 1027 riders here in Vancouver last year and raised $101,300 ... ya'd think I would have gone and had my checkup then but no, I continued procrastinating..one thing led to another and one tends to forget ... and then a little "reminder" goes off in yer head ... and you say "I'm gonna do it this week" and before ya know it.... it's 2 month's later. (I'm slapping myself here...)

Drinking that "Crap" is the worst part of it. Other is over before you know it. But i work for the state so I'm used to it!!:rotfl:

Dunno what you guys are drinkin but when I had my colonoscopy, I used a 10 oz bottle of "Oral Fleet" ... I don't recall it tasting all that bad ... chug 'er down followed by a glass of water.... 15 minutes later .... BOOOOOMMM!! ...she's all over! LOL

Dunno what you guys are drinkin but when I had my colonoscopy, I used a 10 oz bottle of "Oral Fleet" ... I don't recall it tasting all that bad ... chug 'er down followed by a glass of water.... 15 minutes later .... BOOOOOMMM!! ...she's all over! LOL

I had 3 days where I had to drink this god awefull stuff, man was I cleaned out, then on the day of the procedure had to give myself a Fleet but it wasn't oral, had to stick it you know where!! And like you say ....Booooooommmm..... all over. :8:

Ian

Jim,

It's good to "See" that your spirits are high with this, God works many wonders in the simplest ways. I wish you the best with your procedure and you never know who will read this and spur them on to getting a checkup...2 birds with one stone, so to say. :)

Good timing. I'm in the process of drinking my second bottle of magnesium citrate in preperation for my colonoscopy tomorrow. I've been procrastinating the last 5 years on having it done.

Ooops, gotta go....

DT

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Hey Kevin, were you on last years ride in Victoria? It was great. They were expecting 250 bikes and 500 showed up. Prety good for a first effort.

I had prostate cancer and opted for radiation. So far so good. Prostate cancer now kills more men in North America than lung cancer....and that is a lot. The key to survival is early detection, before it spreads to other organs and your bones. The psa test is a simple blood test and should be done on every guy over 50. The odds of getting it are 1 in 6. If your father had it your odds are 1 in 3. If both you and your father had it your son is almost certain to get it.