IGNORED

Cold Engine / Exhaust

New to the forum and I have a question about my 2005 Midnight Venture. I have a 2005 Roadstar as well but these are totally different bikes! I've had the Venture for about a week now.

When the Venture is cold it smokes a little out of the left exhaust pipe for about 1-2 minutes but as soon as it heats up its fine. The right side exhaust does not smoke but also does not warm up for almost 8-10 minutes. I can keep my hand at the exhaust pipe after 10 minutes and it is still not hot. I cannot do this on the left side exhaust.

I also tried touching the exhaust pipe and I can do it on the right side but not on the left (after 10 minutes of run time). Should I be concerned?

I am taking it to the dealer next week so they can transfer my warranty - I don't expect they will be much help.

I'll try to check the manual when i get home and verify. I'm just guessing at the moment. If the carb is like the Mikuni on my Road Star then it's actually an enrichener that doesn't "choke" but instead adds gas... which is why that side would smoke and be warmer.

Not enough info here to solve your problem, but I CAN assure you that you have a significant problem. May or may not be expensive, but must be addressed. The smoke you see from one side is actually steam and normal. The fact the other side is not getting hot for a while is proof that at least one cylinder is not firing (actually sounds like both are dead). Lots of possibilities for this problem, so you need to isolate the cause to fuel, ignition, or compression. Most probably an ignition problem. If it was just bad compression you would still be getting heat.

Start by checking for spark on each plug.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well the dealer says it is clogged carbs on the right side and wants $600 to clean them. He could not do it for another week so I told him to forget it.

I took off the tank and air box yesterday and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb throat, put some fuel treatment in the tank and rode it today - no fix. I am trying the Seafoam sucked into the fuel line tonight and letting it sit overnight.

If that doesn't work I am going to pull all the carbs out of the bike. Can the whole thing (carb rack) be left in one peice and flipped over to get to the float bowl etc. or does all the linkage and crap need to be stripped off the carbs?

There are way too many parts for me to be taking the whole thing apart.

It is under warrantee but the cause is old fuel sitting in the carbs - of course thats what they say. I am the second owner and it only had 9,000 miles when I bought it last month so it wasn't ridden very much so the "stealer" may be right about the old gas sitting in the carbs.

I would Drain the Gas Tank, Completly. Drain it dry.

Also, Drain Each of the 4 Carb Bowls. Each has a drain hose, and a #2 phillips head screw to open the Drain.

Put in about 1/2 tank of fresh fuel, add 1/2 can of " SEA-FOAM " fuel conditioner, and about 1/2 can of HEET.

Now run it every day, and drain the bowls again in a couple of days.

Give the Sea Foam about 4 or 5 days to clean out the Carbs.

Now Re-Evaluate the Situation.

Check the Plug wires on Each Spark Plug, make sure they are in Place.

You might also have some bad plugs on the right side.

Also, pull the Two Plugs from the TCI unit, and clean the Pins with Electrical Contact Cleaner.

Well I spent the whole day taking the carbs off. Opened the float bowl and cleaned the jets. The pilot jet was clogged on the right side carbs and the bowl had some crud in it. Looked like the bike may have been put up for a while and not ridden. It runs like a top now. :cool10:

Thanks for everyones input.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure it's on the forums somewhere...so call me lazy for not looking too long....can anyone point me to the "BEST" winterizing routine they've come across?

I'm in Southern Ontario......and, as much as I'd like to think I'm gonna ride at least once a week all winter.......I gotta feeling it's not gonna happen.

So, today put 190 ml of Sta-bil in the gastank. Shook the bike around and then idled it for 5 minutes. Then I drained the oil. Will install new filter and refill with new oil tomorrow.

Now what?

Oil in cylinders? Do I HAVE TO? Please say no. I really don't wanna take off the tank.

Exhaust pipes? Wrap with baggies and elastic bands?

Drain carbs? Again, do I have to? How big a pain is this?

Thanks for the info, guys. (I'm depressed by having to put the baby into cryogenic state.....please don't ask too much of me!!)

Mike

Mike,

Many of us just make sure the tank is full and either Seafoam or Stabil is in the tank. I have never heard of anyone fogging the cylinders and I personally never have. I wouldn't put a cover over it either unless it was being stored outside and in the weather. A cover will build condensation and could start corrosion if it's in a garage.

I'm new here but have had a 1983,2000,and now 2003 Venture. It's well known for plugs not firing right away if it's cool or cold out or been setting for a while. When that plug gets in the mood that cycle will warm and be fine. The 2003 I have now was running on 3 cyl. when I picked it up with 7200 mile on it. The guy thought he had a problem when I told him I came from Ohio to Tn. to buy this bike and it's running on 3 cyl......he started studdering and saying it's OK been that way and I had him touch the cold pipe....he was in a panic.....I was laughing inside and ask him for a D tag and a little open road.......A 5 min ride and all was well. I had the bike started today........It started on 2 cyl and in a few seconds went to 3 cyl then after about aminute later then right rear cyl picked up.

My friend you have a very normal bike and need plugs maybe but no worry's OK?

Jerryk:Venture:

I'm sure it's on the forums somewhere...so call me lazy for not looking too long....can anyone point me to the "BEST" winterizing routine they've come across?

I'm in Southern Ontario......and, as much as I'd like to think I'm gonna ride at least once a week all winter.......I gotta feeling it's not gonna happen.

So, today put 190 ml of Sta-bil in the gastank. Shook the bike around and then idled it for 5 minutes. Then I drained the oil. Will install new filter and refill with new oil tomorrow.

Now what?

Oil in cylinders? Do I HAVE TO? Please say no. I really don't wanna take off the tank.

Exhaust pipes? Wrap with baggies and elastic bands?

Drain carbs? Again, do I have to? How big a pain is this?

Thanks for the info, guys. (I'm depressed by having to put the baby into cryogenic state.....please don't ask too much of me!!)

Mike

I don't know where I posted this, but on the whole I do nothing, maybe just because I'm lazy, but I don't do anything to it. Just let it sit til spring. The worst I could suggest is to start it every once in a while. If you do this you need to warm the scoot up thoroughly, and that would take about 1\2 hour to do it right. Best just to leave it sit and stay dry.

Just let it sit til spring.

Ah haaaaaah!!!

Just the answer I was looking for! No fuss, no muss.

AND I have international concensus: Carl, from the land of ice and snow......and Brad, from the land of.......well, er, more ice and snow!

Thanks guys. (I'm assuming that you KNOW I have enough sense to bring my battery inside and charge it gently once a month or so....right?)

One last question, though...if we just happen to get a Winter like we did 3 or 4 years ago (when I golfed on Boxing Day), is there any harm in driving the bike with that Sta-bil crap in the tank? I'm assuming not....otherwise we'd all have to hold our bikes by the heels in the Spring and shake 'em upside down!!)

Thanks again,

Mike

It might smoke a little burning off that stabil or seafoam. No harm done. And thats a good tip about washing it if you ride during the winter....I hear that Ontario really like the salt on the roads....kinda like here!

A full tank is always good to prevent corrosion as well.

Our are stored with seafoam in and the batteries out......somewhere I read that icy cold concrete isnt good for the rubber so I make sure that there is wood under the tires.

Well I spent the whole day taking the carbs off. Opened the float bowl and cleaned the jets. The pilot jet was clogged on the right side carbs and the bowl had some crud in it. Looked like the bike may have been put up for a while and not ridden. It runs like a top now. :cool10:

Thanks for everyones input.

Your post went south after we heard about the good news! Glad it worked out.....bet it didnt cost 600 bucks either! Dealers.....gotta watch em!