IGNORED

Trying to tie down my RSV on a U-Haul trailer

workerbee13

I'm trying to secure the front ties, but the tie down cords from the handle bars are making contact with the clear plastic pieces under the fairing. The anchors on the trailer are not adjustable. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent damage.

When I traveled across the gulf this summer (7hr ferry ride ) we had to tie our bikes down for the ride. First we got straps or rope in a loop approx 12"-14" long and put them around my rear trunk supports and made a choker, then attached ratchet straps. On the front I locked my steering as well as the front brake with electrical tape. Then attached one to the upper handle bar and one to the passing light support.....not a good idea, on the return trip I attached that one to the fork. And then attached ratchet straps. I also stood on the left side floor board while someone else tightened the closest strap. Bike never moved at all.

Couple of pic's

Good Luck

Keith

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with ratchet tie downs around the crash bars and shorter quick release tie downs on the handle bars secured to the top rail of the trailer to keep the front end straight. The crash bars pull forward with increased tension, but I'll check on them often.

I use a Canyon Dancer for the handlebars just to stabilize the bike for side to side motion , but choke down with a sling I made up . Basically 24" long with loops sewn on the ends . Fold the sling in half , pass it around the handlebars between the risers . Open the fold and pass the 2 end loops through the fold . Then each end to the right and left where I fasten my ratchet straps .

When I load up the scoot where the fastening loops on the trailer do no allow a straight passage where it interferes with the plastic , I made another sling that attaches to two attachment points , finding a point where the main ratchet strap will not interfere , tie a loop knot more or less forming a "Y" , then secure the ratchet straps . I have slings that I attach to the trunk supports to secure the rear of the scoot down as well .

BEER30

I'm trying to secure the front ties, but the tie down cords from the handle bars are making contact with the clear plastic pieces under the fairing. The anchors on the trailer are not adjustable. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent damage.

I use a set of Canyon Dancers.

• 1 year later...
Guest tx2sturgis

I dont have much experience tying down the Venture to a trailer...but I DID have lots of experience tying down the Harley to a trailer! ( watch it guys, this could backfire on you if you say anything! :stirthepot: )

I dont trust the handlebars as a tie-down point on such heavy bikes, so on the HD I always used the triple tree, the highwaybars, and the saddlebag guards on the ElectraGlide.

The one time I DID have to tie my Venture down, it was on a roll-back wrecker after a tire failure. I avoided the handlebars and was able to get the 'softies' in around the triple-tree, the swingarm area, and the rear trunk supports.

I leave my passenger on the bike, and secure the rear straps to her. Then I secure the front around the handle bars with soft cushions and I have a Wheel Dock to lock the front. This works great and when I get to my destination, my wife doesn't speak to me for the entire time. :whistling:

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis
I leave my passenger on the bike, and secure the rear straps to her. Then I secure the front around the handle bars with soft cushions and I have a Wheel Dock to lock the front. This works great and when I get to my destination, my wife doesn't speak to me for the entire time. :whistling:

I CALL BULL SH--!!

I bet she says SOMETHING!

:rotf:

This post is worthless without pics.:stickpoke:

Here are some pics of how I tie a 1st gen down to my trailer that I built specifically for pulling the bikes.

I would add a "D" ring between the front and middle. this way you can go from the triple tree to the new "D" ring and clear the glexi.

to those who like the canyon dancer, i wish you continued luck. i bought a set and used them once. they broke my left Kury ISO handgrip. they will be for sale soon.

anyone have a left Kury ISO handgrip in good shape for sale?

I trailer my 2gen a lot. I use 18" soft ties arount the triple tree and rachet ties to secure it. I never tie down the back of the bike. I don't know what you could do under normal driving conditions to get the back of the bike to move. It is too heavy. I wouldn't be comfortable tieing to the crash bars. The bend too easily.

Got advice from my neighbor when I borrowed his trailer to bring RSV from Florida to Ohio last December. We put a solid block of wood under the frame of the bike. Big block that was about an inch or less from bottom of frame. When we racheted the bike down, compressing the shocks the frame was tight against the bottom of the bike. It was solidly on the trailer. Bike didn't bounce or move on trailer and didn't over compress the shocks initially or during thhe ride back.

Will try to get a better pic if I can find one.

I'll always use tie-downs on the rear.

When I bought the '07 I had to trailer it the 200 miles home. Being that I don't trailer much I didn't do a great job of getting the front tie-downs tight but I did have tie-downs on the rear bag guards. About 20 miles into the trip home I noticed the bike moving more than I liked. One of the front tie-downs had come off of the trailer hook and the rear straps were the only thing keeping it upright... and doing a really good job of it too!

Guest tx2sturgis
We put a solid block of wood under the frame of the bike.

I would worry that the block of wood could shift around and contact the vulnerable parts of the oil pan or shock mount...maybe the kickstand switch....

Good idea tho!

When I tie my bike down on a trailer (after helpful folks get me out from under it :Avatars_Gee_George:) the rear is the 1st thing I tie down. This assures me that the bike will not fall over, while I really secure the front. I just don't trust the H/F front wheel chock to hold it upright very long. Once the front is secured, I pull the rear ones just tight enough to keep the rear from possibly shifting sideways.

Here's some shots of the RSV when I brought it home for the 1st time.