IGNORED

New Kawasaki Voyager..

seforeman

Sort of looks like they stoled the looks of the Venture, I guess we have a good looking bike. The throttle by wire sounds interesting. But we smooth V-4 riders would probably have a hard time going over to a vibrating V-twin. They say the trunk holds two large??? helmets, but doesn't look any bigger than the Venture trunk which doesn't hold two large helmets?? Can't figure belt drive either?? I guess I'll look for now, but I think it will be just like the RSV and take a couple of years to take off if it does?????? :confused24: Then there's always the cost :mo money:?

I get two full face helmets in my Venture trunk??

Wheel base is only .5 inch less, so probably has more room than an HD.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If no CB, just get a J+M Handle bar mount CB, comes with intercom, FM ,and MP-3 input. Cheaper then paying for Factory Electronics, lot cheaper, probably just as good .

...every one I've heard sounds like crap.

I LIKE the looks of the fairing...better than the big single boob look of the current Yama...although the signal lights look like an after thought. However, it does boggle my mind why the non-Hondas don't come out with a touring engine that beats the performance of the early V4 so we can chase down a Wing or two.

...every one I've heard sounds like crap.

I LIKE the looks of the fairing...better than the big single boob look of the current Yama...although the signal lights look like an after thought. However, it does boggle my mind why the non-Hondas don't come out with a touring engine that beats the performance of the early V4 so we can chase down a Wing or two.

i think the 3rd gen yammer may just do that with a new detuned version of the vmax engine. going to be hard to beat that opposed 6 turbine smoothness though. :)

i think the 3rd gen yammer may just do that with a new detuned version of the vmax engine. going to be hard to beat that opposed 6 turbine smoothness though. :)

If BMW can come up with a high horsepower, low weight engine it proves that it can be done. Without all that extra width and bulkyness look to it.

The way Yamaha does things I wouldn't hold my breath. Second largest MC manufacturer in the world and they can't get off the dime... I heard that when you're #2 you have to try harder. I can see they ain't gonna to be second much longer. :backinmyday:

The way Yamaha does things I wouldn't hold my breath. Second largest MC manufacturer in the world and they can't get off the dime... I heard that when you're #2 you have to try harder. I can see they ain't gonna to be second much longer. :backinmyday:
now how can you knock yamaha. they make a mean guitar and piano. seriously i love the venture. as dated as it may seem it is still up with the times, and one of the best looking touring bikes around. they are a bargain at the price compared to the ultra. if yamaha really went with a new bike and look and made it look like a wing or victory everyone would be po'd. you just ain't going to get the venture look with new upgrades. times and styles change, and i think the new venture if thats what they continue to call it is going to be a shocker in the appearance department. don't think the old conservatives are going to approve. like i said times change and they are going for a different generation than us old timers. everyone picks at the wing. don't knock it till you try it. i mean like a couple of thousand miles, not just a spin around the block. would'nt trade mine for any touring bike made, it towers over all the rest. still love my two yammers too. bill :stirthepot::2133:

. you just ain't going to get the venture look with new upgrades. times and styles change, and i think the new venture if thats what they continue to call it is going to be a shocker in the appearance department. :stirthepot::2133:

Sorry Bill I beg to differ on that. Kawi just built it. Honestly tell me that that the Voyager doesnt scream RSV. Only thing really different than the RSV is it is a Vtwin and that the fairing is frame mounted. Other than that it is very much alike. It was aimed to take on the Ultra and the RSV. Now that is just in the appearance area. EFI, Upgraded sound system and they even went after the old Chevy dash look. That is a direct idea copy from the RSV that uses a old car dash look. I think they felt that they were not gonna get the wing crowd so they went after the Ultra and RSV. Funny thing is that is the same thing that Yama did when they built the 2nd Gen after a few years of no bike in that catagory.

I don't know what Yamaha is going to do with the Venture. In fact, I'm not sure they'll do anything at all, which would be a shame. With Kawa's introduction of this new Voyager, you'd think the brains at Yamaha would see the threat to future Venture sales and at least make it public that they're redesigning the Venture if that's what they are in the process of doing. No specifics necessary - knowing a redesign is coming would be enough to delay the purchase of the Kawa if one is a true lover of the Venture.

On the other hand, I'm not sure Yamaha can top this bike. From every angle, this Voyager is one of the best looking touring bikes I've ever seen. It obvious that the designers and engineers at Kawasaki spent a lot of time and effort on this bike. They seem to have forgotten nothing, and I'm amazed at what they've done here. It's almost like they came on this site, studied our posts about what we want the next Venture to be, then went out and built it.

In my opinion, even Honda's Goldwing will suffer sales losses to this bike. If this 1700 V-twin is as smooth as some of Kawa's other powerplants, this bike spells big trouble for every touring bike manufacturer that can't (or won't) keep up.

I'm not in the market, but if I ever get a chance to test ride one, and if it rides as good as it looks, I just might find myself parking one of these in my garage.

Sorry Bill I beg to differ on that. Kawi just built it. Honestly tell me that that the Voyager doesnt scream RSV. Only thing really different than the RSV is it is a Vtwin and that the fairing is frame mounted. Other than that it is very much alike. It was aimed to take on the Ultra and the RSV. Now that is just in the appearance area. EFI, Upgraded sound system and they even went after the old Chevy dash look. That is a direct idea copy from the RSV that uses a old car dash look. I think they felt that they were not gonna get the wing crowd so they went after the Ultra and RSV. Funny thing is that is the same thing that Yama did when they built the 2nd Gen after a few years of no bike in that catagory.
scott, i like the kaw, but i think the 3rd gen venture is going to be a shocker, a step into the future. we'll just have to wait and see. i think i am right on this. it will be like the difference between the old max and the new one totally different from the ground up. aluminum frame, injection, frame mounted fairing (a big plus), engine a stressed member, sportbike handling, throttle by wire, abs, could have an air bag, and a big, big price tag. they don't care about us old farts. they have to go where the future money is. by the way those that are ultra conservative and anti throttle by wire, it is the cats meow. very high tech, and the throttle is controlled completely by the computor. my r-6 had it and it is the only way to go for maximum mileage and performance. kind of like an electronic cv carb. no matter how fast you open the throttle the motor tells the computor how much fuel and air it can handle efficiently. this its going to be a whole new ball game in high tech bikes. those who don't keep up in technology lose. bill :2133:

I agree with Bill...the updated RSV will be a pleasant surprise. I truly believe that it will come back as a de-tuned VMAX tourer. I just hope that they keep the forward controls and not go back to the 1st gen leg position. They just have to do it.....im sure of it.....you listening Yamaha?????:backinmyday:

Can you say 5 year unlimited mileage warranty?

Actually they forgot to include rear speakers for the stereo and a CB as standard equipment also.

Yep, they forgot the tape deck too....huh??? :whistling: I know everyone just loves their RSV's and TD's, but let's face it, you buy a 2009 RSV, with it's 10 year old technology, and your getting a 10 year old bike. Would you pay that kind of money for a 10 year old bike??? Another thing that sorta ticks me off is they did all this reasearch on a new V4 motor, and then stick it in a bike with low unit sales potential. At least the older Yamaha leaders had some foresight and stuck the V4 into something that would sell, and then built a muscle bike around it. I think the new leadership has it bass ackwards... And their marketing department has fallen asleep and the wheel.

Unless they have changed the engine significantly - the Nomad I had (1500cc) was not a thumper. Ran very smooth. My biggest complaint was the seat and ride not as smooth as I would have liked.

I've test ridden 3 Nomads ... 1st one was a 1500... other 2 were 1600. Definately smooth for a V-twin but very under-powered compared to Venture & HD IMHO ... never rode them long enuf to comment on the seat other than to say I liked the positioning relative to handlebars.

I've test ridden 3 Nomads ... 1st one was a 1500... other 2 were 1600. Definately smooth for a V-twin but very under-powered compared to Venture & HD IMHO ... never rode them long enuf to comment on the seat other than to say I liked the positioning relative to handlebars.

I owned one for 4 years and have the tired backside to prove it :-). The ride was my biggest complaint - the nomad was definitely a cruiser not a tourer. Not a smooth ride. I thought the bike had power until I bought my Ultra and now have to agree with your comment on underpowered. That said, I am not one that needs a lot of power the Nomad got me there as quickly as I wanted. I heard that the 1600 was considerably better, but have never be on one so do not know.

In any case, it certainly looks good from the pictures.

I got excited at first, looked like something to replace the Venture whine with. It's a shame its belt drive. For a long distance bike it's nothing but a shaft for me. For shorter distances I'd rather have a chain.

Looks like I'll be keeping winey till I see something better for me. As far as 10 year old technology, it works. I'd like injection but these carb work very well. Style, I could never tell what is in style anyway. I just do my own thing. It is a lot more modern then my '75 CZ.

Jerry :Venture:

Yep, they forgot the tape deck too....huh??? :whistling:

Ha,, that's funny!!:big-grin-emoticon:

but seriously, 10 year old technology is not the same as a 10 year old bike. HD Ultras go for $21k and they have an air cooled pushrod engine. that is 100+ year old technology.

If and when Yamaha does finally upgrade the Venture it will cost as much as the rest of them. Will it really be worth it? Not to me as long as my bike is still under warranty, and maybe not even after it is not on warranty if it is still running good.

Did you use the right sizing chart, for the helmet...... Or did you figure, that I use a size XXL (or whatever) & it dosen't fit right????????

:stirthepot::canada:

What's this hi tech, I said it just doesn't fit. :confused24: I bought the same helmet from the same manufacture but it doesn't look like a regular helmet any more, they had to make it look a little Bat Mandlish, and that's the reason it doesn't fit. :whistling: Kind of looks like they made more room for the ears. :o

I just found out from an other sight that the curb weight is 761 Lbs. Seat height is 28.4 in. And the wheel bace is 65.6 in. So it is short, low and heavy. TERRY :fingers-crossed-emo

761 lbs? I'm sure I saw somewhere it was more like 830 or so...??

here it is....

Overall Length: 98.4 in / TBD Voyager

Overall Width: 40.4 in / TBD Voyager

Overall Height: 45.5 in Classic / 57.7 in LT / 56.7 Nomad / TBD Voyager

Ground Clearance: 5.1 in.

Seat Height: 28.4 in. / TBD Voyager

Wheelbase: 65.6 in. / 66.5 Nomad / TBD Voyager

Curb Weight: 760.7 lb Classic / 804.8 lb LT / 822.5 lb Nomad / TBD Voyager