IGNORED

New Kawasaki Voyager..

seforeman

I gotta agree with Bill I think the 3rd Gen will break from the old school look its run its course time for a change. I m more from the sport bike generation Ninja's, Hurricane's etc I was a babe in the sixties didnt ride classic looking bikes then nor do I want to own one. In fact kinda tired of seeing them run through my small town making a ton of noise with their extra loud pipes. Dont want Harley 100 yr old tech with the same tired look. BMW at least goes out there and makes some effort at high tech improvements even more so then Honda (I'm a big fan of Honda own a car, SUV, and watercraft) I'm just hoping Yamaha makes a big change and doesnt come out with the same bike otherwise I'm going to look elsewhere. Everyone has their dislikes and likes and I respect ya'lls love of the old look but I'm really hoping for something different. :soapbox:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Another thing that sorta ticks me off is they did all this reasearch on a new V4 motor, and then stick it in a bike with low unit sales potential. At least the older Yamaha leaders had some foresight and stuck the V4 into something that would sell, and then built a muscle bike around it. I think the new leadership has it bass ackwards... And their marketing department has fallen asleep and the wheel.

I'm almost sure they will come up with a new Venture and the new 65° V4. They're not going to dump almost 10 Years of Motor Development just into the Vmax and let the Venture die. remember the Sketches of the Patent Drawings ? There was a Bike with a Fairing on one Sketch. The 3rd Gen Venture will come, but who knows when. The selling of a '2009' Venture is not a good Sign that this will happen in 2010.

Maybe we need to inform Mr. Starr about our desperate Minds.

btw ...

The german Portion with 300 Bikes of the 2009 VMAX is sold out. The US Portion(2500) isn't sold out yet, but it seems there aren't so much left.

Bill, I hope you are wrong on the radical styling changes. I really want to get another Yamaha. I like my dealer and it would be a pain to buy from a different one around here. They are all terrible in my opinion. If however they do finally make changes and don't keep the cruiser look I will be checking out this Kawi, HD RoadGlide and the Goldwing. My criteria for a new bike will be:

1. Personal Appeal to me
  2. Handling and Comfort
  3. Sound System
  4. Luggage capacity.
  5. Accessory availability
  6. Warranty

The V-Twin doesn't bother me in the least. I had a 1100 V* and never once thought it wasn't smooth. Probably wasn't, but it was never an issue.

I will be ready for a new bike in 2010/11. Should be well over 100K miles by then.

We're living in a golden age of touring bikes. Plenty to choose from, and with different approaches across the manufacturers. Really, there isn't a bad one in the bunch - you just have to find the one that fits you and your budget, and one that trips your trigger. Kawasaki has added a nice one that I'm sure will fit many.

As for me, my '99 RSV is just getting broken in, I have it outfitted just the way I want it, and it is still shiny. While not a perfect bike, everytime I ride it reassures me that it is a quality built, comfy tourer, with a reliable drive-train. And I own it outright. The 3rd gen Venture is not far off, and will be another home-run by Yamaha, given their history with the tour-bike concept. But I'll probably stay with my RSV ('cause I've got 3 kids headed to college during the next 5 years!)

Kelly

Just like Jimbob5 said, not everybody likes the same thing. Personally, I have absolutely NO use at all for sport tourer styling. When I buy a touring bike, it is because I want to TOUR. For me, that means it must be comfortable for someone over 6', it must have room to change positions, and it must have room for my stuff as well as just me. Yamaha already sells the FJR, so why would they want to introduce another bike with similar styling and drop the classic touring market? To me, that would be even dumber than not updating or advertising the RSV for 10 years.

I'm going to have to see the new Kaw in person and watch rider reports for a year or two before I can decide if I am really interested. I thought the first mystery picture we posted here a few weeks ago was quite ugly, but the many different views of the new bike on Kawasaki's site seem pretty attractive. I have a lot of other concerns about the bike, but only time will tell if any might be valid. But it is sure good to see Kawasaki going back after the big tourer market after dropping the Voyager a few years ago. That kind of competition can only be good for those of us who are primarily interested in that kind of bike. I just hope that the new Voyager turns out to be the ideal modern tourer, or that Yamaha introduces the right updates for the Venture soon, as there is no other currently available bike that holds any interest for me!

Goose

hey if Yamaha does something like this with a V-Max engine, trunk, and some Creature Features I'll Beg borrow and steal to buy one.

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.jpg&mode=medium

http://fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.rear.jpg

We're living in a golden age of touring bikes. Plenty to choose from, and with different approaches across the manufacturers. Really, there isn't a bad one in the bunch - you just have to find the one that fits you and your budget, and one that trips your trigger. Kelly

Not to sound like a pesimist, but we may very well be in the golden age of big bikes, as in SUV,s of the bike industry. What has kept the big/luxury market alive is a lot of disposible income. I am afraid that if things in this world does not soon start making a change for the better(this is not a political comment), I feel most motorcycle makers are going to go after the middle size efficent bikes. The buyers will prodominantly be going after gas mileage more than comfort. When the average car starts to get as good or better gas mileage than our bikes get, then the manufacturers will change too.

RandyA

hey if Yamaha does something like this with a V-Max engine, trunk, and some Creature Features I'll Beg borrow and steal to buy one.

I have seen and road the Stratoliner with these Corbin conversions and I would take one even without the V4 Vmax engine. The Strat was very smooth. BTW this is what my money is banking on for the new Venture, but only time will tell :confused24:

Not to sound like a pesimist, but we may very well be in the golden age of big bikes, as in SUV,s of the bike industry. What has kept the big/luxury market alive is a lot of disposible income. I am afraid that if things in this world does not soon start making a change for the better(this is not a political comment), I feel most motorcycle makers are going to go after the middle size efficent bikes. The buyers will prodominantly be going after gas mileage more than comfort. When the average car starts to get as good or better gas mileage than our bikes get, then the manufacturers will change too.

RandyA

You could be right:confused24:, but some how I don't think so. Personally, I never check my mileage. I ride because I enjoy it. Luxuries will always be around. JM2C

We're living in a golden age of touring bikes. Plenty to choose from, and with different approaches across the manufacturers. Really, there isn't a bad one in the bunch - you just have to find the one that fits you and your budget, and one that trips your trigger. Kawasaki has added a nice one that I'm sure will fit many.

As for me, my '99 RSV is just getting broken in, I have it outfitted just the way I want it, and it is still shiny. While not a perfect bike, everytime I ride it reassures me that it is a quality built, comfy tourer, with a reliable drive-train. And I own it outright. The 3rd gen Venture is not far off, and will be another home-run by Yamaha, given their history with the tour-bike concept. But I'll probably stay with my RSV ('cause I've got 3 kids headed to college during the next 5 years!)

Kelly

you hit the nail on the head. i'm going to say the gen 3 will be sleeker, the max engine will be close to 2000 cc, and tuned for lowend torque, throttle by wire, some of the stuff like gps, anti lock, airbag , and cb will be optional to keep the cost down just like the wing. not everyone wants that stuff and it is expensive. thats why i bought the premium sound or the cheapest wing package. i then outfitted it with the things i wanted. it won't even be close to an fjr or a sport touring bike. it will be a full blown 900 lb. tourer , and i doubt it will be as far out as the victory. oh by the way. hope you like a frame mounted fairing. and try 2011 for the year. come back 2 yrs. from now and eat me alive if i'm wrong. sorry yamaha not good with secrets. :rasberry:

http://fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.rear.jpg

I somehow don't see myself doing too much touring with that trunk or these bags. Sorry, but the RSV is a touring bike.

Yo AZ I've seen those bags in person and I think they hold just as much if not more than the RSV bags... I said it needed a trunk... not that queer looking little box on back... Please read the post you're responding to...

Originally Posted by MAINEAC viewpost.gif

A few of the posts in this thread mentioned the benefits of a frame mounted fairing.

Personally, that's one of two things I REALLY dislike about Wings, the skinny bars sticking up through miles of plastic. Reminds me of the new scooters you see these days.

(The other thing is foot pegs and limited leg positioning)

Maybe it's me but, that's part of a Harley and Venture's appeal, the fork mounted fairing, looks and feels like a motorcycle, not a scooter.

Personal preference I spose.

i always prefered a frame mounted fairing. my first one was a vetter windjammer back in the 70's on my 750 honda. one of the best designs ever made. as far as the pegs go. of the 70 or more bikes i've owned all but 3 had pegs. never had a problem with them. i do like highway pegs to stretch out on once in awhile , even with floorboards. :2133: