IGNORED

Passing a transport truck

dogman

I want to share a very close call I had as a reminder of the importance of getting past these transport trucks and not riding beside them.

I always lag behind a truck for a bit then gun it to get past them very quickly so as not to be in there blind spot for long.

Well, as I was passing this transport I was doing as I always do when a tire blew out from the truck. For what ever reason I had already moved further over to the left then I normally do. The tire literally exploaded forward, sideways and to the rear of the truck. I was fortunate enough to see the debris and swerve back towards the truck to fit inbetween the debris as I acceleated even faster to fit through the open air that I saw. Rubber went infront of my bike and just behind it. I was very lucky that I didn't slow down or I would have been knocked off my bike.

I was lucky who knows what is best to do, slow down or speed up, it all depends on the circumstance.

In any case I just wanted to air this to remind everyone to pay special attention and get as far away from the trucks when you are passing them.

I'm going back on the highway this afternoon and riding to Niagara on the Lake for the night and I have to say I may not be passing too many trucks.

I generally do the same when passing those 18 wheelers (gun it) but sometimes, on a freeway or other 4-laner, you can get stuck beside them, depending on the traffic in front of you. Unfortunately, situations such as these are part of the risks we take riding a motorcycle. I've always wondered what would happen when riding behind or beside one of these "bad boys" when a tire recap blows off. It's one of those things I try not thinking about coz that thought scares the crap outta me. I certainly don't want to have the opportunity to relay THAT experience! On the other hand, just being able to relay it to us, like you did, is a good thing coz you got through it safely.

Gators are SCARY!!!!! and can kill a biker. Ther is a LOT of energy in all pieces of a retread when it gets flung off!!!!!!

I too spend as little time beside and directly behind a 18 wheeler as possible. On a bike or in a cage.

I am glad to hear that you were not hurt!!!!!!

I own a tire shop and I know that sound all to well. I always instruct my guys to use the remote inflation hose and have the wheel secured on the machine when inflating. Good thing because eventually a tire lets go. lst time I was about 10 ft away and boy I will tell you it took a few hours for the ringing to go away. No damage and no one hurt but how easy it would be fo that to happen!

I have too seen what a tire can do, they are wicked to say the least. I too pass all out when I get past a truck, I never want to be beside them any longer than I have to. Glad to hear that you were unhurt, I have seen what a recap can do....and it is grusome.

Another rider here who passes the trucks as quickly and safely as possible. Never had one blow by me yet, Thank the Lord, but have heard one thumping once. I got outta there as fast as the scoot would haul butt.

As to the gators in the road just this last summer I came up behind a truck, slowed down to wait for a line of cars to pass me and I then swung out behind them. Almost past the truck and I catch a glimpse of a gator laying just left of the centerline. No time to swerve over so hoped for the best. Missed it. Then backed off the throttle cause I was too close to the car in front to see if more were in the road ahead. Lesson learned there to always keep enough distance so you can spot road derbis.

Larry

I will not take chances either . Almost had my head taken off just on a split rim tire .But them Car-Haulers cast a lot of turbulence . This summer going through SC , I patiently waited far enough behind one going slower than myself . Waited till it was safe enough to pass . I was at least 3 semi lengths behind then gunned it to get by . Doing a little under 70 mph at the time and by the time I passed his front bumper , I was doing a hair over 90 mph . That's what the SC State Trooper said he clocked me at !:Avatars_Gee_George: He asked me what was my story and I told him "I ain't going to caught beside one of them semi's , especially with the turbulence and a possible tire blow-out " . Well he said he would buy that story as he was a biker also . :banana::banana::banana: . We talked a bit about the scoots and I was on back on my way , right behind the car-hauler again :doh: .

BEER30

I own a tire shop and I know that sound all to well. I always instruct my guys to use the remote inflation hose and have the wheel secured on the machine when inflating. Good thing because eventually a tire lets go. lst time I was about 10 ft away and boy I will tell you it took a few hours for the ringing to go away. No damage and no one hurt but how easy it would be fo that to happen!

I know that sound all too well also, I grew up in my Dad's gas station garage. I've changed/re-mounted thousands of tires. Every now and again we'd do a spit rim. We did not have the safety cage for doing those. We would lock on the air hose and get away. One day a tire blew and the rim put a ring shape indentation in the garage ceiling. Were talking a high 30+ foot ceiling.

Those things are scary.

As for passing trucks, I always do it as fast as possible.

I know that sound all too well also, I grew up in my Dad's gas station garage. I've changed/re-mounted thousands of tires. Every now and again we'd do a spit rim. We did not have the safety cage for doing those. We would lock on the air hose and get away. One day a tire blew and the rim put a ring shape indentation in the garage ceiling. Were talking a high 30+ foot ceiling.

Those things are scary.

As for passing trucks, I always do it as fast as possible.

Had one of those rings in the roof of my old shop too. Many years ago a coworker of my father was killed. Dumb guy was sitting on the tire while he was filling a split ring tire. Got him in the head.

We were on the I 5 just in the passing lane just behind a semi in our cage & a "road gator" was released, scared the you know what out of us & left a 6 inch gash in the hood of the car & a dint at the top of the windshield. Would have cut a rider in half. I pay semis there due, and pass as quick as possable. :canada::canada::canada:

• 7 months later...
This is one of the reasons I get nervous on highways... I do not want my epitaphe to read ...killed by flying rubber. What would my mother think! and would there be an open casket?

Brandy

Brandy, I just read this for the 1st time a minute ago while sitting here at my desk eating a sandwich. I got so choked up laughing that I thought I was going to die. Had people come check on me. :rotfl:

RandyA

Gators are SCARY!!!!! and can kill a biker. Ther is a LOT of energy in all pieces of a retread when it gets flung off!!!!!!

The TV program MythBusters did a segment on this. Yes it is scary.

Kinda along this same line, there was a lady here in Jackson killed in her cage by a Bush Hog blade that came off of a road maintenance tractor mower. She was driving along minding here own business when it came through her windshield and hit her in the throat. So get away from the mowers on the road as quickly as you can too.

My son and I were following a concrete truck today on our bikes. He was hauling tail, and We didn't want to go fast enough to stay in front of him. We just laid back, and kept an eye out. Sure enough, we hear what sounded like a loud shotgun blast, and small pieces were flying everywhere. The gator was still on the tire, flapping around, but small pieces went all over the road. My son got hit with a small piece, but no damage. The truck pulled over on the shoulder, and we were outta there!

• 8 months later...

... and he heard a tread start to go. Son was adult on the back and he said, Dad,a get away from this guy. I said hang on AFTER I went to 4th or 3rd and opened the Venture up, full throttle. We never saw anything come off, so it might have been another something.

Son is now an 18 wheeler, and I've ridden with him. Add to the gators, mud flaps, air hoses, storage behind the cab (brooms, shovels, etc) coming off; all were and are in his stories.

Yup, I keep away from them to the far left when passing, wait to pass till he sees me moving out, and then fly past. A prayer helps.

Glad all who had incidents came out of them OK.

JackZ

Recaps should be outlawed. There are too many of them laying on the road we could run into. And, they sure don't go back to pick up the pieces. They should be charged with something when they leave that stuff on the road.

Not all road gaters are the fault of recaps. As a matter of fact you will be suprised to find that most actually come from 1st time casings that have suffered what is known as tread separation. This is usually the result of a tire that has been run low on air, overloaded, or improperly plugged allowing air to leak between the belting material and the tread. For the most part a quality recap is as sound as an original tire.

Wow!! All these stories about blown truck tires while riding next to a semi. I've put on several million road miles in company and personal cars over the years and have only been near one decapping. Lots of tread laying all over the place on the major roads, but only one blowout in real time. I used to think the chances of experiencing one was rare, but now after all these reports I think I've just been lucky. Same thing goes for traveling next to a semi. It's the luck of the draw, and it doesn't make any difference how fast or how slow you pass one. One can get caught in the crossfire at any time, fast or slow. So make sure your guardian bell is polished up....:whistling: