Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: motorcycle trailer swivel hitch coupler

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default motorcycle trailer swivel hitch coupler

Has anyone tried one of these yet?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motor...spagenameZWDVW
    Looks like a good idea and with the trailer weight being low at 500lbs the only issue I can see is after a while the pin or the mount wearing out. I think the only thing I would add is some kind of fill under the pin to keep it from rattling when not in use.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PGunn View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these yet?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-trailer-swivel-hitch-coupler-goldwing-CHROME_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQihZ016QQi temZ260273626629QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    Looks like a good idea and with the trailer weight being low at 500lbs the only issue I can see is after a while the pin or the mount wearing out. I think the only thing I would add is some kind of fill under the pin to keep it from rattling when not in use.

Do not buy this! I bought one in June, then they "recalled" them because one fell apart on someone. They refunded my money and did not want the item back, I still have it. If you welded the pin in place or put a longer pin with cotter pins on it it might be alright. It was sold before by EZhitches, now I see it's under a different name.
    Kevin

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thats all I need to hear... Thanks!!!

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm wrong, having never pulled a trailer with a bike before, but I fail to see the neccessity of having a ball pivot in this fashion to begin with. I've pulled trailers of various shapes and sizes professionally for the last 20 years. It has been my experience that the ball already pivots to a certain degree within the hitch, that's why it's round. Surely with a standard rigid ball setup there is enough "play" for a rider to still be able to lean into turns half way comfortably. Am I wrong on this?

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schlepporello View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, having never pulled a trailer with a bike before, but I fail to see the neccessity of having a ball pivot in this fashion to begin with. I've pulled trailers of various shapes and sizes professionally for the last 20 years. It has been my experience that the ball already pivots to a certain degree within the hitch, that's why it's round. Surely with a standard rigid ball setup there is enough "play" for a rider to still be able to lean into turns half way comfortably. Am I wrong on this?

I do not ride real aggressive but when by myself and pulling my trailer I lean WAYYYY over in curves and it has never been a problem with the standard ball hitch. That being said I try and not make a habit of it as I realize if a deer runs out in front of me pulling the trailer especially in a hard curve I have 0 chance of getting it stopped.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought. I knew that by design the ball had to rotate within the hitch to a point. If it didn't, the hitch would pop loose every time you hit a dip. Not only does the hitch have to allow for rotation front and back, but on a bike would have to allow from side to side as well.

United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like

As you stated the hitch is to rotate some on the ball, what is to keep that thing from flopping back and forth at will and causing the trailer to "wag the dog"?

95 Goldwing/Champion sidecar
    86 1300 Royale'

Iron Butt Association #34911
    N4RWM

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default if you drop

your bike, like in a parking lot or at a sudden bad stop, the standard hitch will probably not allow for enough movement to avoid doing damage to the trailer hitch or to the trailer tong. Trailer setting upright and the bike on its side, is more than what would be able to move with just a standard connection. As has been stated many times, it is not if you will drop your bike, it is when.

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well having my bike fall off the kick stand once while idleing in the driveway, yea I was in a hurry and "thought" it would be ok to do, I can see why you would want it to rotate more then the ball will allow. And the little stunt of leaving it idleing in the driveway well I now have a new outer faring shell and chrome trim and the rest of the "minor" damage is going to be slowly replaced.

Dandy1 Guest

Having pulled a trailer for several years now I highly recommend a swivel coupler. You can lean over more then a standard coupler will allow and it will actually keep you from leaning over far enough to be able to make your turn. In other words my hitch has bottomed out on the ball before. Also If for some reason your bike falls over it will either screw up your hitch or your trailer tongue or both. You can buy a swivel coupler from Noesho trailers in Mo. for about $80.
    Ride Safe!

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree that having a swivel coupler is a must. I did pull my camper to the Canada rally without one and it did ok but if the bike would go over it would either tip the trailer over or damage the hitch and tongue. I'll be buying the regular swivel coupler for it.
    Kevin

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've pulled my trailer quite a bit, first trip out, I actually bottomed out the ball to the hitch and almost got pushed into the shoulder of the oncoming lane. As hard as I tried, I simply could not get the bike to lean far enough to turn all the way through. This was at about 35 MPH in a 60 or 70 degree turn. Not overly aggressive but everyone riding behind me thought I was losing it. Luck was with me and I was able to pull out of it.
    The day we got back, I ordered my swivel hitch and will NOT pull a trailer without it.

United States
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

swivel hitch is the way to go. I can lay my bike over in turns like I'm riding a rice rocket

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like

Started pulling trailer in 86. Just before I started, I talked with a guy who actually watched his friends bike get pulled over in a hard curve in the rockies. He said it was not a pretty sight and that the outside tire on the trailer lifted off the road and continued to lift higher the more his friend leaned into the curve,untill the bike went down. He said they just misjudged the curve, but was not going overly fast. His friend just leaned the bike over more than the hitch could swivel on the ball. Remember,this all took place before cell phone's and help was a long time coming. They were fortunate that no-one was hurt seriously, just a lot of road rash. Ruined a nice vacation though. I had a mishap one time where I had to lean the bike over hard in a hairpin turn to miss a large pothole in the middle of my lane on a 2 lane state route. The trailer tire hit the pothole and my friend said that tire bounced and went about 3 foot in the air and when it came down the whole trailer(both wheels) came off the road about 2 foot and bounced again and again, each time leaveing the road,but at smaller heights untill everything settled down. I felt the trailer bounce,but did not know how bad untill we stopped for gas. He said it scared him half to death. I credit the swivel hitch. I would not pull without one.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. (James Dean)

United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Darn straight!!

I have pulled a trailer for about 14 years now and with 3 different bikes. I would tell anyone going to purchase a hitch for a bike to get a "swivel hitch" or a "narrow shank ball".
    I have used the narrow shanked ball and on each bike and (with the help of a friend) lay the bike over to make darn sure I can corner and not have the trailer hold me up! If it ever did I would replace my narrow shanked ball with a swivel hitch before I ever pulled the trailer.
    That narrow shaft or swivel hitch will save your life.
    Idiot out Wondering Around
    So many places to go, so little time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast