IGNORED

Brake fluid warning light

This morning on my way in to work, my low fluid indicator light came on, on my 89. At lunch I checked the front fluid level and it was fine. I have no visible signs of fluid seepage at the front calipers and the rear is dry also. Is the indicator light also tied into the rear brake reservoir? I hope that there is a simple fix, I'm not looking forward to chasing wires! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

89 VR

01 V-star

There is a sensor on the rear brake and it might be nothing more than the brake pads wearing which moves the caliper pucks closer to the rotor which in turn uses more fluid which makes the res. Lower. I find that because of the location, i have a tendency to not check the rear res. Very often. I would try this first befor ripping into any wires. The only other thing i have happen is there are two wire plugs just below the handlebars that come from the front res. I got the brake alarm, i unplugged the two wires, cleaned them greased them and replugged them. All was well after that.

Hope this helps,

earl

when my light came on, yes it is for the rear linked brakes and your resevoir is low. check your pads and replace if needed. if you top up the fluid resevoir the light will go out if your pads still have some life left in them.

cheers, Scott

I would fill both resevoirs just to make sure...Over the years I've had situations where I thought one or the other resevoir was full when it wasn't..

Also, when you have the front resevoir cap off move the float up and down a couple of times to make sure its working..

when my light came on, yes it is for the rear linked brakes and your resevoir is low. check your pads and replace if needed. if you top up the fluid resevoir the light will go out if your pads still have some life left in them.

cheers, Scott

I don't think whether your pads are worn out or not has any effect on the warning light. This is only tied into the reservoir level.

RandyA

I don't think whether your pads are worn out or not has any effect on the warning light. This is only tied into the reservoir level.

RandyA

if your pads are worn down, then the 4 brake pistons will be out further, thus more brake fluid will be needed to make up the difference. the resevoir level would be lower and the light will come on. i have experienced this on my 86 already.

Scott

I had this happen earlier this year too. It was my neglected rear res. Topped it up and haven't heard a word from it since (touching wood now).

I am due for a rear tire so I'll check the pad thickness then.

Hope this helps,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Edited by 6m459
spelling & grammer

Guest ezornes

when my light came on , after checking a few things the left front pads were shot, after replacing the light went out. hope it works for you.:missingtooth:

I had the the same problem on my '83. Checked all the levels and they were perfect. Then I started looking at the diagram of the rear master and noticed that, like the reserves on the bars, there was a rubber baffle gasket under the lid, and when the baffle was fully extended it pushed the sensor float down a tad like the fluid was low...and it wasn't. I got in there with a probe and pushed it back up a bit and the low fluid warning disappeared. I probably didn't get it out of the way totally but enough to make a difference, and taking the lid off the rear reserve is a PITA. So if you're gettin false low fluid warnings this may be something to look into...??

Thanks for all of the input.

I just had new tires put on both front and rear. The brake pads were fine.

I agree with Scott, pad wear will affect reservoir level.

I took the cover off of the rear brake reservoir (the window is useless) and the level was fine. I had to top it due to spillage on my part. Condor was not kidding about it being a PITA! I also took the cover off of the front to make sure that it was full

Neither diaphragm had “sucked in”.

Both the front and rear brake feel firm not soft and my braking has not diminished. I parked the bike over clean cardboard for the weekend to see if there are any drips, nothing noted!

Still leaning in the electrical direction...

• 2 months later...

if I might throw my similar problem in here? I recently re-purchased a '83 After dsriving it back from Ohio I learned that the entire breaksystem was basically shot. After e new rear disk (missing shim) new pads, re-plumbing and cleaning of the reservoirs, I still have the brake indicator come on every so often. It will come on for a while and go back of. Since all but the main cylinder is replaced, I am wondering if it is the sensor itself that is messing up?

The same question could actually be applied to the oil light and fuel light.

thanks in advance.

if your pads are worn down, then the 4 brake pistons will be out further, thus more brake fluid will be needed to make up the difference. the resevoir level would be lower and the light will come on. i have experienced this on my 86 already.

Scott

Hey Mother,you are right on the money.......:thumbsup2: :canada:

Andrew, Skydoc mentioned a sensor for the rear brake resivoir. This sensor can go bad and give false readings, i.e. flashing/solid red light on computer monitor. The guy that I bought my '93 said that if that is the case and you feel comfortable doing this, you can bypass the sensor easily. Under the seat on the right side there are a siamesed pair of wires going to a connector. At the connector disconnect them and make a "u-turn" back into the connector and the light won't come on again. You have basiclly disconnected the wires coming from the resivoir and completed the circut by making the "u-turn". The reason I believe this is the guy that I bought the bike from has been a Venture mech since they came out in '83 and knows the Venture inside out upside down, etc.

As I said, if you feel comfortable doing this it can be easily done.

Don H.

Andrew, Skydoc mentioned a sensor for the rear brake resivoir. This sensor can go bad and give false readings, i.e. flashing/solid red light on computer monitor. The guy that I bought my '93 said that if that is the case and you feel comfortable doing this, you can bypass the sensor easily. Under the seat on the right side there are a siamesed pair of wires going to a connector. At the connector disconnect them and make a "u-turn" back into the connector and the light won't come on again. You have basiclly disconnected the wires coming from the resivoir and completed the circut by making the "u-turn". The reason I believe this is the guy that I bought the bike from has been a Venture mech since they came out in '83 and knows the Venture inside out upside down, etc.

As I said, if you feel comfortable doing this it can be easily done.

Don H.

Mine has said jumper in it until I get to servicing the switch. It's on the right side, under the side cover along the frame rail near the front of the seat. Pair of bullet connectors.