IGNORED

Carb Tune

kevin-vic-b.c.

I have a Motion Pro Carb Tune to sync my carbs. I have done this a few times in the past on the two Ventures I have owned.

So I sync the unit to the right rear carb port, it comes with the 5 way Tee to do this as per instructions.... all good.

I then hook all 4 tubes to the 4 intakes to set up carbs.... start the engine and the fluid is pulled up the top of the unit so as it is off the scale. With the fluid up and out there is no way to do the tune. I have the restriction orifices in the tubing although I have replaced the tubing with clear tube it is all as normal.

So...... I drained the blue fluid...... ordered fresh..... the instructions said to put 26 drops per tube.... I put in 20.

Any thoughts as to where I am going wrong? :crying:

I bought a motionpro unit and I got bubbles that interfered with the readings. I called motionpro and they said I'd have to buy more fluid. It didn't have enough fluid. And since I bought it new on ebay, I had bought it from an unauthorized dealer and they wouldn't send the kit to me. I had to buy it. And like the previous poster said, I was losing fluid to the engine. So, I sold it really cheap to a member who obviously knew more about how to use it than I did.

I've tried the Motion Pro and lost fluid also. Was never able to get it to work correctly even with new fluid. Even tried the vacuum gauges but never quite trusted them. Moved on to Morgan Carb Tune and never looked back. 15 minute syncs are the norm now.

Tip: Save the 5 way tee from the Motion Pro to use on the Morgan cause they will go slightly out of sync over time.

A mercury manometer is still best if you have one. Professional-grade mechanical gauges are super. But after using my digital unit for several years I think it outperforms the other consumer-grade options on accuracy, convenience, and cost for bikes with more than two cylinders. I admit I am a little biased. Four cylinders is more competitive than it used to be. There aren't many other options for bikes with three or six cylinders. I've been selling a lot into Europe, Canada, New Zealand and Australia this year. Don't know why. My website gets lots of hits from BMW forums. I get inquiries from guys with the old 6-cylinder sport bikes, especially Lithuania for some reason I haven't figured out. I wonder if there are a lot of old 6 cylinder police bikes around, or something else to explain it. I don't really market it - no Facebook or Google ads or anything like that. It's just a hobby for me.

Another vote here for the Morgan CarbTune. Ordered it from Morgan a couple of years ago, delivered to my door from England in just over a week, easy to hook up and works flawlessly.

Papa Fred.

Lets go ahead and throw me on the pile of happy Morgan CarbTune users. It's everything I need and nothing I dont, it works and works properly with no fuss. It was priced right and got here fast.

+1

Lets go ahead and throw me on the pile of happy Morgan CarbTune users. It's everything I need and nothing I dont, it works and works properly with no fuss. It was priced right and got here fast.

+1

Not to favor any one device over the other since I have a homemade one with a gauge and a Morgan Carb tune as well as an old fashion manometer. But from what I understand of the Motion pro backing the adjusting screws out closes the tubes. and screwing them in opens the tubes, which is backwards to ones normal thought process. So if the screws are turned too far in you would suck out the fluid or may introduce air bubbles. You would actually need to back them out all the way and then just turn them in as little as possible to calibrate the tubes. Also if you approach most any tool dealer that sells water manometer's they can usually supply dye to mix with water which you could then use in your motion pro.

The problem I had with my homemade carb tune is that the vacuum pulses kept the level in the tubes moving quite a bit. The motion pro unit I had did have tiny orifices in the lines to prevent that. And if the carbs are out of sync a lot as mine were after mistakenly turning the wrong screws somehow, the fluid is sucked into the intake. So, maybe the carbtune is the best idea if you have a hundred bucks to spend.

The problem I had with my homemade carb tune is that the vacuum pulses kept the level in the tubes moving quite a bit. The motion pro unit I had did have tiny orifices in the lines to prevent that. And if the carbs are out of sync a lot as mine were after mistakenly turning the wrong screws somehow, the fluid is sucked into the intake. So, maybe the carbtune is the best idea if you have a hundred bucks to spend.

The motion pro is deceiving in that when you think you are closing the screws your actually opening them and visa versa. So you turn in to open and out to close so to speak.

The secret is to connect the bottles with a hose that reaches the bottom of both bottles and the carbs to hoses that reach just past the stoppers. Only use 3/4 of a bottle of fluid, no matter how off you are it can’t suck it in the carbs. I use about a foot of small diameter hose for an orifice on each hose going to the carbs. It’s not that I can’t buy a Carb Tune I’m just stubborn enough to use my creation. Yeah I’m one of those guys but it works for me.

After losing my Twin-Max to a thief and having dealt with Mercury Stix for many years (loved em but mercury got expensive and hard to find) and having issues with sticky slides in the Morgan,,, when I closed the shop years ago I bought cheap set of sync gauges and have really enjoyed them.. One of the things I REALLY like about the set I use is it came with all the adapters for many brands.. I still do an occasional old wing or inline for buddies and the adapters sure come in handy..

Here is a little video of the gauges I use.. Ironically,, this little carb syncing video has almost 7500 views which is kind of strange IMHO cause I would have thought old school carb funning and fixing would have long since gone the way of riding with no radio blaring and 3500 mile oil changes... Pretty neat really