IGNORED

Front tire hum.

Noticed it today on way home from work. It leans and sweeping curves a noticed what can only be described as humming. It's either tires, which look good, or are my bearings going out. Hopefully tires, but I got a lot of tread left. Gonna check pressure before next ride, bricks tone front Metzler 888 back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Noticed it today on way home from work. It leans and sweeping curves a noticed what can only be described as humming. It's either tires, which look good, or are my bearings going out. Hopefully tires, but I got a lot of tread left. Gonna check pressure before next ride, bricks tone front Metzler 888 back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

While it could be the tires, Bridgestones and Metzlers don't have a very good reputation lately but I would check the front bearings anyway.

I noticed that mine does this hum lately when turning/leaning either direction and I account it to the tire cupping which I had previously noted. I have increased the air pressure some since. The tire has good tread depth.

So my question is: other than getting rid of the hum, is there really any good reason (or safety issue) that the tire should be changed?

So my question is: other than getting rid of the hum, is there really any good reason (or safety issue) that the tire should be changed?

If it still has plenty of tread I'd keep running it if the cupping isn't too deep. It all depends on how and where you ride. Mostly slabbing?? Run it. If you find it bothersome in the twisties...replace it..

I see you have a 2008 model. Is there any chance it is the original tire? Bridgestone was commonly the brand from the factory and if it is 5 years old or older I would not be riding with it. Plus, it is likely the cause of your noise

Highly doubt its the original.....I got 25K on the bike.

I have heard good things about Dunlops Elite 3s. I was trying to find one in my stock tire size but was unsuccessful. I have an 04 RSV. Anyone know where to get one, and is it going to be a different size or the same as stock? I guess I don't know much about tires, I want a tubeless tire for both front and back. If someone could post a link of the right one for my bike I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Just got rid of a 11 year old stock size Bridgestone Exedra on the front of my 99 It had tread for 4-5000 miles more, but age and poor handling had me swap it out for a VR denizen recommended 130/90/16 size Shinko 777 HD Yesterday. Tire mounted and balanced easily using about 1.5 oz. With in 1/2 hour the danged floor boards were scraping! Seat of the pants sez more direct (quicker) feel. That stock size tire had me holding opposite bar to keep a line through a corner, so unless I was constantly holding bars "out" the bike tended to run wide, :( it's much closer to neutral now. I did have to adjust the headlight up a bit, so lost a little front ride height. Did some parking lot gymkhana and it seems better at low speed also. When I had the wheel off i found some "centering action" in the steering bearing so new bearings on order. Still thinking on doing the rear link "raise" mod. 14K now 3K of that by me in the last 2 months, and need to check swing arm bushings etc., I haven't touched anything but tire and shock pressure in the rear yet. Stock rear shock, recent rear tire, no oil drips, a bit of weeky weeky from a dry bushing? somewhere in the back.

• 3 months later...

Old thread, and I imagine you have dealt with the issue by now but I would say tire would be the issue.

Cupping from running them low on air pressure, my 08 RSV would hum whenever I would lean left, and only left, steeper the lean louder the hum, could have sworn the sound was coming from the front, guess sound location can be a bit deceiving when riding down the road, ends up rear tire needed to be replaced.

As mentioned previously, I agree that it is very likely your front tire is making the noise. I tend to hear more noise turning on a curve and just plain leaning the bike as I navigate the road. My front tire has about 5K miles or more, so I can see more usage of rubber on the edges during leaning of the bike. In the straights...it tends to be quiet.