IGNORED

Epic trip delimma

Daveand Barbie

So, with all the snow and such today, I started planning my "Epic Trip" for next summer. Even though I officially retired in 2002, I was mostly unable to achieve success in that, so as of June 1 I am going to attempt again. To celebrate, I am planning to leave on the bike and see what I have always wanted to see in the span of a month.

Now, I have flown to many places in our fair country, but have never been west of the Indiana/Illinois border on land. I plan to leave Cincy and head west to see as many of the important things that I have missed like The Badlands, Mt Rushmore, the Pacific Coast Highway, Grand Canyon.......you get the idea.

My dilemma arrive in how best to accomplish my plan and be semi thrifty. I could load the bike in the trailer, hook it to das bus and head out, but that would be, in essence, self defeating. Much of the allure to me is getting there. So that leaves two other options:

1 - buy a used motorcycle camper, hook it to the Venture, and use it for lodging for the trip. One might say "Don't be a wimp! Pack a tent and be off". If I were 40, I might be giving that serious consideration, but the senior citizen in me says "not at this advanced age! Especially not for a month.

2 - roll out the FJR and be off, making the most of budget motels along the way.

Both bikes are endearing in their own right, I have had both of them out on 2000 mile week long trips, and they both are more than capable. Looking at the numbers, I think the cost would be a wash, but I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those who have more experience than I when it comes to extended trips.

Go!

Dave, my experience pales in comparison to many on this site and as of yet I have not been riding for a month long stretch. This past summer I was on the road for 17 days going to and returning from the IR in Guntersville Alabama. I tracked expenses, overall trip cost me roughly $3500.00. I stayed in motels \ hotels which totaled approx. $2000.00. Now I am gainfully employed and these rides are my vacation time so the cost is something I plan out for the year. I could easily reduce the room expense just by researching a little. I know as retirement continues to creep my way I plan on doing as you are, touring the southern states in winter. J and I have discussed it and based on the hotel \ motel expenses over my last two trips (prior year to San Diego) we could have paid for a trailer for the bike. That is the direction I am heading in the not to distant future. hope this helps!

One thing I will say, 1 month will not be long enough, it seems like there is so much more to see than time allows. Enjoy your trip and ride safe!!

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COOL DAVE :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup:!!!!!!! Personally,, I wouldnt toss the tent idea out unless you KNOW for sure its a no go - I would go to Menards - by a Puc special for 20 bucks, toss in a sheet of that egg cartontop foam rubber on the floor, add a bag and try it out for 3 or 4 nights - a little back yard campin :cool10::cool10:.. Doing what your talking about doing with a tent and a bike is amazing - THE FREEDOM IS TRULY ADDICTIVE AND INTOXICATING!!

That said,, that "style" is basically all I really know about - I am SURE that others have found the same experiences thru touring while trailering or Moteling,,, just pick what fits YOU and sounds the funnest for YOU and go get it!!!!

A LOT OF GORGEOUS COUNTRY WHERE YOUR HEADED - RIDE YOUR RIDE - DONT BE IN HURRY, GO THE DIRECTION THAT TUGS ON YOUR HEART SO YOU DONT LEAVE WONDERING WHAT WAS DOWN THAT ROAD - BUY A KID A CANDY BAR WHEN EVER YA STOP FOR GAS - EAT BREAKFAST BEFORE SUNUP AND DINNER AFTER SUNSET AND RIDE IN THE DAYLIGHT BETWEEN THE TWO.. Oh yea,, PLEASE DONT FORGET OUR PICS!!!:photographing:

Would LOVE to and HOPE to see ya out there!!

Puc

P.S. I swear,, you melted 3 inches of snow off my front yard with this thread - THANK YOU!!!!

If you're not a tent person (and I'm not in my golden years) another option we have used while traveling is renting a cabin at a KOA campground. Being very familiar with KOA from our years traveling with a motorhome, it is a somewhat less expensive option to a motel/hotel and there are locations all over the country. We are planning a touring trip also next summer and will surely be using this option extensively.

We did a trip a year ago West (thru St. Louis....worked our way thru Iowa, Nebraska...to Yellowstone, then up to Saskatchewan - 6,000 miles). We did about 60% camping (tent).

To keep costs down for our next trip we just picked up a TimeOut from a member near here. Whether it is on one trip or a couple, it will pay for itself in saving us on hotels. Will probably still do the occasional hotel.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?80231-Ontario-to-Saskatchewan

Hi Dave...long time no see!

My advice is option 2.

This past summer Donna and I and another couple did just what you are looking at doing, only we did it in 3 weeks.

Left NE Indiana, went to the Badlands, Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument (puts Rushmore to shame), Bear Tooth Highway - don't miss this, it was the highlight of our trip - North to Glacier National Park and the Road to the Sun, west to the PC Highway, Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, up to Colorado and the Million Dollar Highway, Independence Pass, Mount Evans, Rocky Mountain National Park, Garden of the Gods...then beat feet for home. Total of 7500 miles. Motels all the way.

We did pull a loaded cargo trailer and most days we ate our lunch out of the the coolers which really worked out well. Tried to find motels that offered a full hot breakfast as well. So, normally (a few exceptions) our only expensive meal of the day was the evening meal. Worked out great!

Our total cost for this extravaganza, including meals, gas, motels, tips, park fees, farkles for the wife, mementos for the grandkids, etc...was $5005.00. You will probably save some money going solo.:big-grin-emoticon: Since this trip was the celebration of our 40th anniversary, we were prepared to spend the money.

I'd do it all again, it was WONDERFUL. Out of the entire 3 weeks we had only about 2 hours of rain...none of that was a hard rain either. We did have several 100 degree plus days.

For me, at my age, being able to "recharge" at the end of the day in an air-conditioned motel room was worth the expense. I don't think we would have been able to be out that long if we were camping. We saw campers in several places...100 degrees...they didn't look like they were having much fun.

The next time I go that way, it will either be longer time-wise (unlikely) or just slower and shorter. I want to spend more time at several of those locations and thoroughly explore the area.

Good luck, you're gonna love this!

Joe

Edit: Oh, one other thing...if you don't have one, get a Senior pass for the National parks. You can actually buy one at the first NP you enter. Got ours at the entrance to the Badlands. Costs $10, and is good for life at all National Parks. The other couple with us wasn't ancient enough to qualify...they spent about $150 on park fees as opposed to our $10!!! Sometimes aging has its benefits!!!

Month long trip... don't know that I'd tent/cot it for more than a week.

With or without wife? RSV is definitely the way to go if she's going.

Personally I love my Bunkhouse camper.

Get to sleep in my own bed, fix meals when I want.

Small $100 AC , ceramic heater, fan and a heavy duty extension cord with 3 outlets.

2 identical sleeping bags and zip them together.

2 Coleman propane burners and tanks.

5 day Coleman Extreme Cooler on wheels.

axe, knife and Fishing pole...LOL

and you'll be comfortable the entire trip.

Might be able to get a good deal on one if you look around...

About the only bad thing I can say about the bunkhouse is that it takes my milage down to between 25 to 30 mpg.

If you get the camper check out the camping section:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?220-VentureRider-Campers&s=&pp=20&daysprune=-1&sort=lastpost&order=desc

Instead of looking for cheap hotel/motel/notels, don't you have friends all over the country? Throw a sleeping bag on the bike then "visit" friends everywhere.

Yup that is what I was going to say. I can meet you at the Hoover dam and lead you back to my place in the most indirect/fun route possible and then you can pick the couch or the queen size air mattress. Then I could follow you out to Death Valley and call it a good couple days.

If you wanted to hang out in Vegas for a few days, you could do that too.

Instead of looking for cheap hotel/motel/notels, don't you have friends all over the country? Throw a sleeping bag on the bike then "visit" friends everywhere.

Yup that is what I was going to say. I can meet you at the Hoover dam and lead you back to my place in the most indirect/fun route possible and then you can pick the couch or the queen size air mattress. Then I could follow you out to Death Valley and call it a good couple days.

If you wanted to hang out in Vegas for a few days, you could do that too.

Oh oh oh,,, thats it,,, only wrap a tent around that bag so ya got an instant place to snooze out in the middle of nowhere (pull into the first cow town ya have seen after riding 4 hours searching for one since it got dark and find out there aint a motel within 200 miles and you will be GLAD to have that tent!!) on your way to your buddies houses!!

Not only that but the tent makes a perfect sack for keeping the sleeping bag and pillow dry!!

Dave, I'll share my thoughts and experience but in the end, it's mostly personal preference and the circumstances of your own trip. Also, I know many think different than I do, which is a good thing.

I recall one three week trip many years ago where we were three couples on three bikes. We were staying off the slabs and focusing on great roads and scenery each day. One couple camped while we just stopped when we saw a motel that looked affordable and interesting, and we never had a problem doing that. Each day, the couple camping would try to find a campground once we knew where we were stopping for the night. Half way through the trip, they surprised us and said they simply couldn't combine their daily search for a campground and camping with the type and amount of riding we were doing each day.

On our more recent five week Venture West, we hauled a trailer which allowed us to combine some camping along the way, as you can see in our blog: venturewest-evan-anne.blogspot.com. This trip covered some of the territory that mentioned, including Glacier National Park. On our three week Venture East, we left the trailer at home and found some neat motels and b&b's along the way, as you can see in our blog: ventureeast2013-evan-anne.blogspot.com For both rides, we were able to enjoy picnic lunches almost every day along the way when we found neat spots for that.

Thank you to everyone for the lively discussion! All the personal experiences shared have been enlightening to say the least.

to better clarify my dilemma......we have a nice motor home and have spent the winters in the Keys for 8 years after I retired the first time so I am no stranger to camping. I could see the pull behind camper, but I would then have to store it after I got home, and would probably end up selling it. Still, it is a viable option but would be one more thing to have to deal with on the road.

Sleeping under the the stars still has some allure, we did it on the boat in off the Keys on multiple occasions which was more than therapeutic, but it wasn't a tent.

Now, the real question......I bought(stole) a pristine FJR last spring and have grown really close it it. My first trip was a week at the Gap with a friend on a sport bike. I wore him out trying to run off from me on all the fun roads there. Miss FIJI sits there in the garage and whispers "pick me, pick me". It can haul as much stuff as the Venture and could be just a blast in the mountains on this trip. Then again, the Venture is no slouch either, it is a 1st Gen you see.....

Even though I retired from racing a couple of years ago, I didn't get all the hooligan worked out of my system in those 20 years.

what to do, what to do........

but I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those who have more experience than I when it comes to extended trips.

Go!

Dave,

We took a 60 day trip to the west coast (CA,BC) last year, one bike 2up. All our accomodations were hotel/motels. Expenses were somewhat extravagant somedays, but not cost prohibitive, and after all, it was our 40th. Not much to add to these informative posts.

Here's a few things we found helpful ...

- who the heck brings a darn computer on a bike trip, the idea is to leave that crap behind, right?? However, we found a small 11" netbook invaluable for finding budget hotels and booking a day at a time ahead by phone or online. Good for booking late checkins to avoid those 'no vacancy' signs. Also provided all the info we ever needed from maps to landmarks. (and of course from our members) We are thinking of downsizing to a 7" wifi tablet for next years trip to save every inch of space. Tried the cellphone/data/wifi thing, found the screen too small & cumbersome for these eyes and fingers. Every hotel has free wifi these days. Having this capability probably knocked about 20% off accomodation costs.

- researched hotels ahead of time to determine if they had a fridge/microwave. We picked up most of our meals from grocery stores, some prepackaged and some thrown together. Saved quite a few Benjies doing this as apposed to using restaurants regularly.

- the Garmin was an extremely usefull tool. Kept that front wheel pointed in the right direction and didn't let us get into too much trouble on expressways, secondary & trails. Also saved our bacon a couple of times locating gas stations and restaurants along rte66. :cool:

Snow blizzard outside now, what a mess. Nowhere as bad as our friends in Western NY, but it sucks anyway. (heard sections of Buffalo under 6' of the stuff)

Thank you to everyone for the lively discussion! All the personal experiences shared have been enlightening to say the least.

to better clarify my dilemma......we have a nice motor home and have spent the winters in the Keys for 8 years after I retired the first time so I am no stranger to camping. I could see the pull behind camper, but I would then have to store it after I got home, and would probably end up selling it. Still, it is a viable option but would be one more thing to have to deal with on the road.

Sleeping under the the stars still has some allure, we did it on the boat in off the Keys on multiple occasions which was more than therapeutic, but it wasn't a tent.

Now, the real question......I bought(stole) a pristine FJR last spring and have grown really close it it. My first trip was a week at the Gap with a friend on a sport bike. I wore him out trying to run off from me on all the fun roads there. Miss FIJI sits there in the garage and whispers "pick me, pick me". It can haul as much stuff as the Venture and could be just a blast in the mountains on this trip. Then again, the Venture is no slouch either, it is a 1st Gen you see.....

Even though I retired from racing a couple of years ago, I didn't get all the hooligan worked out of my system in those 20 years.

what to do, what to do........

And to address staying with members and friends along the way, an occasional night along the way by invitation would be a great adventure, but asking someone for lodging would be something I couldn't bring myself to do. I would feel I was imposing on people. Guess I am just weird that way.

Hmmmmm,, why do I have this gut feeling that you are doing this with no passenger on board??? If that is the case and it were me I would drag that FJR out by its ear lobes, whisper in one of those ears - come with me,, you and I are going to God's country - a place of endless twisties and open throttles - yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaww!! Than hug that Venture tenderly and tell er ya will catch her next trip (Ventures are very forgiving bikes,, just DO NOT come home with Harley exhaust lingering on your clothes - knowing you were hanging around with them is bad enough but knowing you had to FOLLOW enough to pick up its scent = bad news).. Toss a sleeping bag wrapped up in a 20 dollar tent on the back of the FJ, stuff some xtra cash in your pocket in case you find motels along the way that you feel like sleeping at,, grab truck stop showers when you get tired of smelling funny but found out that you really enjoy open camping out on the prairies or up in the mountains....

Of course, I would pack my little computer tablet thingy,, stop at McDonalds (ALWAYS a hot spot) and keep us informed (with pictures,, we LOVE pictures) of where your at and how much fun your having and remind us once in while of being open to Meet and Greets along the way,,, than,, after you show these folks what a kind/understanding/loving/tender hearted/non-pot stirring type of person you are (trust me Dave,, most of these folks are kinda shy in the judging good charector abilities) ya just kinda yawn a little as the folks are finishing the ice cream cone ya bought em.... If that dont work,, there is ALWAYS a Walmart Parking lot or the Village Cemetery if your not in MO, OK, TX, AZ, NM, UT, NV, CO, WY, MT, SD, ND, ID or OR where they have endless open camp area's and lots of room to REALLY let that FJ RUN!!!

Oh,, by the way,,, dont forget that the Bonneville Salt Flats are OPEN to the public - PERFECT place to camp and let the FJ "unwind" after twisting thru the Rockies near Salt Lake and only a few minutes out of the way to Yeller Stone and Montana and Cody and the Big Horn Mountains on 16a, and little big horn NP and Glacier.....

Yes Sir,,,,, who says ya cant have it your way AND have it all!!!

PS - by the way,, if ya happen to get into our area, Muskegon Mi, and need a place to snooze we almost always have a spare bedroom and for sure an open couch - hot shower too... I also know some pretty nice rides on this side of the State,,, not the fast pace open riding like Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, South Dakota or Utah but still really really fun!!!

This post is making me itch and squirm. I wanna do some touring!

Puc maybe you can be my guide if I go to west mich sometime? Unless you are out with Tweeks riding to the Pyramids or Great Wall or something. I did a job for a couple of weeks in Allegan county last year; really liked some of the roads even in my van, bet your area is just as nice.

CMCoffey - if anyone crashes there, do they have to help empty diaper pails or do 2am feedings? (Are mom and baby doing well?)

Edited by pbjman

Take the FJRRide the rocky mountains, I too would put Bear tooth at the top of the liststay off the interstates, use the old US highways, 70+ mph is not really fun for hours on end.Always take at least a sleeping bag to sack out at friends, under the stars, flee bag motels. Get an AARP or AAA senior card, never check in a chain hotel without a discount. Walmart is a motorcyclist best friend. It's less expensive to buy new undies then pay to wash them. No one can smell you at 55 mph :-) Take a pair of crocs, extremely light, water proof & comfy, leave the riding boots for riding. Carry a camera around your neck to take pictures on the fly (learn how to use it with your left hand BEFORE the trip, if not water proof carry a plastic baggie in your riding jacket. Ask folks "where do YOU eat"? not for a place to eat. Ask the restaurant what they are know for, NOT what the special (going out of date or slow moving menu items)crackers, cheese, summer sausage/salami keep for days and make a great eat anywhere snack/lunch. 500 mile days should be kept to a minimum, don't wait in long lines, move on. Don't hold to a tight schedule don't over pack, everything fits on the bike in the side cases or the trunk. Only thing on the trunk rack is the bike cover and my crocs. Enjoy, have a great ride.

Take the FJRRide the rocky mountains, I too would put Bear tooth at the top of the liststay off the interstates, use the old US highways, 70+ mph is not really fun for hours on end.Always take at least a sleeping bag to sack out at friends, under the stars, flee bag motels. Get an AARP or AAA senior card, never check in a chain hotel without a discount. Walmart is a motorcyclist best friend. It's less expensive to buy new undies then pay to wash them. No one can smell you at 55 mph :-) Take a pair of crocs, extremely light, water proof & comfy, leave the riding boots for riding. Carry a camera around your neck to take pictures on the fly (learn how to use it with your left hand BEFORE the trip, if not water proof carry a plastic baggie in your riding jacket. Ask folks "where do YOU eat"? not for a place to eat. Ask the restaurant what they are know for, NOT what the special (going out of date or slow moving menu items)crackers, cheese, summer sausage/salami keep for days and make a great eat anywhere snack/lunch. 500 mile days should be kept to a minimum, don't wait in long lines, move on. Don't hold to a tight schedule don't over pack, everything fits on the bike in the side cases or the trunk. Only thing on the trunk rack is the bike cover and my crocs. Enjoy, have a great ride.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: gotta LOVE that Aharbi!!!!!

Now he got me stirred up.....

Baby wipes are CHEAP for a quick bath and very refreshing and GREAT to carry for all kinds of cleanups including medical stuff - also fantastic for toilet paper/wiping da butt with (not keeping really clean down yonder is a good way to be SURE your gonna get monkey butt),,, Hospital Cafeteria's have the BEST food at the BEST prices (they are almost always non-profit), Wendys Chili and a dollar burger for lunch - Mcdonalds 1 dollar salad dumped on a dollar burger for dinner and you can live a long time in a crunch, if its late and no stores are open and your hungry - Aldi's has the BEST dumpster diving possible and ALWAYS full of apples/oranges/crackers and veggies - plus they dont seem to lock up their dumpsters - like they like homeless people and crazy bikers - always announce your presence before opening the dumpster though cause people without tents sometimes sleep in em, ALWAYS carry at least a gallon of drinkable water - more precious than xtra fuel, speaking of sunscreen - DONT FORGET YOUR LIPS - get 50 or better chap stick type - works GREAT over the eyes where normal sunscreen burns and blinds ya as you sweat - this stuff WILL NOT - also works GREAT on ear lobes and for writing your name on your bellie and ending up with your name permanently written in your skin = cheap tattoo, carrying an xtra large bike cover instead of a tent works GREAT too - cover your bike and sleep under the cover with it, if you are a dedicated helmet wearer be careful riding in the desert heat for long hours - overheating the brain while in the bucket is very subtle, ride the mountains from early mornings till 1 pm and 5 till dark - ride the foothills where you can easily see the weather - 1 till 5 is "storm time" in all mountain ranges - just be careful with em,, Walmart has the BEST windshield cleaner called Plast-x -- use it to keep your shield glare free and clear, Leatherbys Ice Cream in California has THE best Banana Nut ice cream EVER, about two miles out of the west side of Albuquerque on 40 is a small diner with the BEST BURGERS for the BEST prices this side of California - just watch the north side of the ick-spress way and ya cant miss it...

This post is making me itch and squirm. I wanna do some touring!

Puc maybe you can be my guide if I go to west mich sometime? Unless you are out with Tweeks riding to the Pyramids or Great Wall or something. I did a job for a couple of weeks in Allegan county last year; really liked some of the roads even in my van, bet your area is just as nice.

CMCoffey - if anyone crashes there, do they have to help empty diaper pails or do 2am feedings? (Are mom and baby doing well?)

YOU BETCHA PBJ - WOULD LOVE TO!! But,, ya gotta know,, Allegan County is nothing like our part of the State,,, its the area that I call a "work zone".. Our area marks the start of Michigans "play zone" and finest biking!! I know all the secret little spots and have been nominated as permanent Ride Captn by all my neighbors cause of my hap hazard dynamic way of doing such.. For instance,, my neighbor pulled into my yard and wanted to know if we wanted to go out for lunch,, while I was pulling Tweeks out of the garage and Tippy was putting her shoes on I asked the neighbor where we were headed.. His reply was "just lead us somewhere so we can get a bite to eat" - I said "how bout a fish taco at Long Johns".. When we arrived at the intersection to go toward Long Johns I yelled over at em,, "how hungry are you guys, wanna go north for a burger?" - looked like they nodded yes so I turned north... About 10 hours later as we pulled back into town from an OUTSTANDING day of chasing the front wheel in the north woods I pulled off the side of the road,, looked at my two exhausted neighbors squirming on the seat of their Ultra Classic and said,,,,, you guys still wanna run into town for a Fish Taco?? As we finished our Fish Tacos and were walking into John Hortons for Ice Cream my neighbor patted me on the back and said - that was the funnest biking I have ever done - you are our permanent Road Captn!!

I am 68 but would still consider Tent camping if I had a good mat underneath me. Then plan on hitting a nice motel every 4 or 5 days. If a stand alone tent and mat on the ground is just too much find a used bunkhouse or similar type motorcycle camper, but just because you have a trailer don't go nuts on the extras you haul. Again I would plan on hitting a motel every few days. You might look up the IBMC http://www.ibmc.com and see what ideas they have on their website.(International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers)