IGNORED

Tires- No Debate!! Just a poll that's all.

I should be done swapping mine out by this weekend, damn work is getting in the way of me fixing my bike. As soon as I do I'll post up my opinion on the Michelin tires. I did go with the smaller size up front so I'm sure going from Dunlop's to Michelin and changing size is going to give me a noticeable change, hopefully in a good way.

Edited by Angelo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just put the Michelin on mine, never really got to ride much before cold, but from what I did I really liked it.it seems narrower than the avons that were on it.I have the Michelins on my Raider and love them they were like like no other's except for the avon cobras.

I should be done swapping mine out by this weekend, damn work is getting in the way of me fixing my bike. As soon as I do I'll post up my opinion on the Michelin tires. I did go with the smaller size up front so I'm sure going from Dunlop's to Michelin and changing size is going to give me a noticeable change, hopefully I. A good way.

Good choice read my other post. I think a lot of these other guys no offense I hope, are just afraid to try something new. These Michelins have newer technology and more of it,I have tried avons,dunlops,shinkos,Michelins, and besides the Avon cobras these Michelins are the top,try em you'll see.

Edited by Raider58

I apologize id I posted this in the wrong category. Honestly, I did not see the Poll section, With that said, after several hundred miles on the E3's, the handling has changed significantly. I barely have to push on the bars to get her into a lean/turn. Virtually no front end weight with the links and these tires. I had to get used to them, as I was "over turning" often in the beginning.

I was just wondering if I'd missed it. Glad you like the 130's on the front. I've been running them for quite a few years and would never run the 150's again.

As far as what I'm going to run next year:

Front-Shinko 130-90-16 WWW

Rear-BF Goodrich 155-80-15 WWW

If you are referring to my last post. I did go with the oem or suggested tire size by Yamaha. Regardless, it made a huge difference in ride, ease of turning and traction. As I said, I spoke with a Mich. engineer, and he stated these were made for heavy long distance touring bikes and tread design was engineered for optimum traction in hot, wet and normal conditions. Their weight capacity and speed rating make them a good fit for my bike.

I don't know if it's the Michelin tires or dropping to a 130 up front, but it is like a completely different bike. Even the cracks in the road that used to grab the bike and really get my attention I don't even feel anymore. Not sure what is the biggest cause of the ride change but I will definitely be looking for that combo again next time I have to swap.

I posted earlier that I have the Shinko on the rear of my 07 RSV. at 4200 miles I am getting ready to buy a new tire. I will stretch it a bit, not quite at the wear bars but close. Yes it is an inexpensive tire but since you have to buy 3 to equal the Dunlop or Michelin mentioned above, it doesn't pay. Last Shinko's I buy for a street bike.

VentureFar...

ANYTHING but Avons! I have used 4 ALL with great handling and poor tire construction, they dry rot! Even the fresh ones. At that point the Factory Rep will not know you. After I proved my case, they got back to me when the change was all over. pffffff.

Michelin Commander II up front the REAR 130 (Smaller size)

The BF Goodrich Radial TA in the proper Darkside size (Dragster Front tire) On the rear!

So, I have a Rear Tire on the front and a Front tire on the Rear! No one gets as good as traction as me and no one can go over 30K miles and never swap a tire! :cool10:

It rides really nice and you can lay down one hell of a skid mark! (be careful not to slam into the Windshield) GOBS of traction and mileage with this combo.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/Venture%202008/20140820_003412_zpsaofb6djd.jpg

Ummm don't mind that Roadstar over there on it's 2nd Darkside tire. 70K miles of year round riding in Cleveland, Ohio. Whoot whoot!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/darkside/ab829ceb.jpg

Taken on a day when the Yami Shop Closed due to weather! LOL The Harley Shop in Warren Ohio was open and doing the Winter Warrior Giveaway, I was the only one to show up that day. Needless to say.

Disclaimer! (IronMike is Variable Crazy on from a Level 5 to 10 and does not condone, endorse, suggest, require, imply, or even DARE you to do any of the sheet that guy does! And that's why on the back of his bike it says, "Don't follow me...You won't make it!" :stirthepot: :smile5::smile5:

that's

Not sure where you bought your rotten Avons but that's all the riders that have Raiders like me will buy. For the Raiders they are the smoothest, longest lasting tire out there, not the venoms,but the cobras. I had them on this bike when I bought it and they were junk.

• 3 months later...

In California, due to the grooves in the freeways I have found I will only ride with Metz 880 front. the thread doesn't track the grooves and cause you to wiggle for your entire ride on the freeway. But Will be replacing my rear soon - getting rid of the worn out early Shinko and going with E3- seems to be the consensus that E3 last longer on our Gen 2 with no issues. I have 18k on the front Metz 880 and it still has safe tread but not enough for riding to the International in July.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been running Kenda Kruz on both my '86 Wing and my '06 Venture. Scalloping on Metzeler's drove me nuts and the price from Chaparral Racing on the Kenda's was less for the pair than for one Metz. Handling on both bikes is outstanding compared to the Metz's also. Tried an upgrade Bridgestone on my Wing a couple years ago and it was bald in 5K miles.

I posted a question on the Tour Deluxe page. I have the 18" front wheel and have been running a 130/70 on it. I am thinking of going to a 120/90. Anyone ever do that? It is a little taller but appears that it will fit in the fender.

• 3 months later...

Going today to have narrow metz 880 front and Standard E3 rear put on. Looking forward to new rubber for my 3500 RT to Sturgis in a few weeks.

Nothing like the feel of new rubber on the bike you love.

Hey since this thread has a lot of subscribers -- anyone going to Sturgis take a look at the thread. Have some meet ups and dinner plans.

VentureFar...