IGNORED

First serious solo ride, 15 Days

malders

Hey all! I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a little bit. I just bought a very well maintained '88 Venture (Standard, not Royale), with only 21k on it. So now of course, I'm planning my first first solo ride: 15 days, from the Finger Lakes region of NY, with a couple of extended stays in Atlanta, and to Central FL for a couple of days. Not just the first solo ride on this bike, but first all together other than 100 or so miles here or there.

I'm an avid pool/billiards player, and shooting in the NAPA Nationals(North American Poolshooters Association- for anyone unfamiliar), competing in the 8, 9 and 10 ball events. First event starts the 13th, and if I shoot well, I'll have a break for the 17th and 18th before the next two events start back to back.

Since it is my first real solo trip, I'm planning on avoiding highways for the most part, and taking some really great scenic routes. I have the route plotted out already, and would be happy to post if anyone wants to tag a long for a lag. I'll also be camping along the route in some state parks etc., until I get to Atlanta. Right now trying to book an AirBnb just outside ATL for my time there. We'll see how that pans out.

What I'm looking for most, are any tips anyone has for a my first long ride. Any common issues I might keep an eye out for on my Venture, as I will only have it on the road for a few weeks prior to my trip. Though, she runs really great, and I don't expect to have trouble, I like to be prepared. I can certainly turn a wrench when needed, though I'm not yet that familiar with this machine. Any suggestions for carrying my cues along, without risking them being damaged, would also be much appreciated. Also, a good source for handlebar mount cell phone/GPS brackets, that work well with the Venture handlebars. Next weekend I'm gonna wire in a cigarette lighter, so I can also charge my cell which I'll use for my GPS.

Edited by malders
Forgot about GPS

Sounds like great fun! Post some photos of your bike when you get a chance. Congrats on your pool shooting skills! My cell phone gps is more accurate than my garmin. However, the garmin works from the satellites and the cell phones work from towers. If you are out of range of the towers, you have no gps! Something to keep in mind. I don't have my new to me 89VR registered yet. But I would like to see your route and if possible I will ride out to meet you along the way. Welcome to the site.

Hi Malders and welcome to VR!! Sounds like you have a VERY nice trip in the makings!! :thumbsup:

While no expert at what you are planning to do I have a little experience with it,, both the camping side and with the older Ventures (other than a parts bike I have which is an 87, I am in the process of riding the last bit of life out of my 5th 83/84 model)..

As far as the bike goes - unless you have a spare fuel pump that you can carry I would suggest that you get a few feet of cheap gas line - if you happen to have a fuel pump failure (only happened twice to me in thousands of miles on these bikes) you can unhook your vent line that is right next to the fuel cap (under the center cover), attach the spare line nipple where the vent line was attached, put pressure into the tank with your mouth while you are riding and get out of a bad situation (trust me - it works).. When you get somewhere quiet where you can work on your bike, pull the pump and the back cover off it - clean the contacts - usually thats the problem..

If you havent done so I would also make sure that the rear axle is not set up in the bearings, not suggesting total removal, just put her up on the center stand, pull the cotter key out of the king nut on the left side, take the nut off, loosen the sinch bolt on the right side, put a wrench on the axle head, spin it,, maybe tap on the axle head and see if you can move the axle out a little,, put it back together KNOWING the axle WILL come out if you have a flat (helped a guy at road side with one once that was locked solid in the bearings - ended up calling a wrecker and taking the bike to a shop so they could remove the axle), do the same on the front if you want but I would at least do the rear.. I would also check and clean the fuse panel and I would pull the covers off the diaphrams on the carbs and make sure they were healthy.. Other than that - beyond normal fluid changes, carb sync and new plugs, having good rubber and plenty of brake pad material that should do it.. Besides the normal tool kit items you might think about carrying a 16 inch pair of Channel Locks, a GOOD 12 inch Cresent, full set of 1/4 drive metric sockets, full set of metric wrenches w ratcheting/pivot box ends, set of "T" handle screw drivers, few feet of #14 THHN wire, little bit of electrical and duct tape, a cheap Ohm meter (Harbor - 3 bucks), small assortment of metric nuts and bolts, assortment of zip ties in your maintenance department and a set of spare keys (I hide mine on a wire wrapped around the coolant bottle neck).. DOUBLE CHECK tire air pressures and watch em as you move from high to low altitudes.. You can also get REAL cheap 12 volt tire pumps at Harbor (5 bucks with coupon) that are handy if you have the space and wanna carry one..

Speaking of sunscreen,,, dont forget suncreen for your lips.. The stuff that comes in a chapstick like tube works GREAT on ears (Walgreens), eye brows, foreheads and I even like it better than regular sunscreen for my bald head cause it dont wash into my eyes from sweat and blind me..

I have found that even one of those 1/2 inch thick excerise matts under the sleeping bag in the tent is better than nothing,, especially if you are caught having to camp in a Walmart parking lot.. Speaking of parking lot camping,,, never had a problem after riding 16/17 hours just pulling into a Walmart lot and dropping my tent next to the RVers camping there,, just dont actually set the tent up, found out that is a no no..

I have found Menards to have the best "cheap" tents, large doors (make good ventilation) with screening that goes down almost to floor level (nothing worse than a screen that ends a foot above the bag so the air movement is above you instead of on you..

I did a simular ride to the one you are about to embark on a number years ago.. I ended up at a museum out near the fingerlakes on my way to Lake Placid (also a cool place), if I recall the museum was near Hammonds or something like that,, it was all about some guy last name of "Curtis"... Place was literally like the Science museum in Chicago (HANDS ON!!!) with REAL old bikes you can tinker with - AWESOME!! I also left the group later (everyone was anxious to head for home after only 5 days out:confused24:) and ventured down toward Florida, on the way I did a BUNCH of old "coal mine" finding in Virginia - what a BLAST!!! Came home with a really really old pick axe strapped to the side of my bike and a really old coal miners hat I also found - I love keep sakes.. Lots and lots of gorgeous country down there!!

Remember to stop and talk to people about their area(s) if you have time.. People are usually very friendly if you are and usually more than happy about sharing their area's little hidden secrets if you ask..

Dont forget,, the outcome of the ride depends solely on you brother,, keep the glass half full!!

Puc

My advise?

Listen to cowpuc, carry a high limit credit card and a second one and keep an open mind to meeting great folk along the way.

Ps call your cc companies and tell them you will be making many small purchases as gas stations in the specific states.

VentureFar...

Thanks! I plan to also keep a paper map with me for when the cell doesn't get reception. I have a bluetooth device for riding, so I get my music and GPS turn by turn in my ear, without having to worry about engine noise preventing me from hearing it (can't hear a damn thing over the two stoke bliss of a 76' RD400, one of my earlier bikes). If it's there on the handlebars, I would rather keep my eyes on the road than it, so gotta have it in my ears.

Edited by malders
I no spell good

Wow, thank you for the warm welcome and extensive reply Puc.

For a tent, I'll be rockin' a hammock tent. Like this one:

http://hammockcompany.com/product/explorer+deluxe+asym+by+hennessy+hammocks.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

They pack tiny, great for super comfortable solo sleep, and only weighs 3.6 pounds. Don't think I'll be pooping it up in any parking lots (unless a couple of campers wanna let me tie it up between them), but I'll definitely heed that warning for any trips with the wife when we bring our larger tent. I also will have with me a torso length camping pad, it's what I would usually use when sleeping in the hammock.

The gas line thing, this is gold. Pure gold. Thanks! If I can set aside some time to pull the pump before the trip, I will give a look just in case. I haven't yet had any time to be tinkering with it AT ALL.

I've never gotten a flat on any bike before, hold on, let me knock on some wood :doh:. Aside from maintaining control of the bike, what should I do besides call AAA? Is there a tire patch kit I can buy somewhere? Hadn't though about an air compressor. Of course I keep a tire gauge in my regular kit, but I previously just always topped them at gas stations (usually check when I fill the tank). Maybe we're spoiled in my little area, but is it not common everywhere to have air pretty readily available at the local pumping station(s)? I get needing a pump with you though, and if it fits, it sits.

The Glen Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, is the one you're thinking of, I think. Totally agree, awesome place. For anyone who hasn't been there, if you get a chance, just go. Really, it's awesome, worth a little sidetracking for.

Where do I go to get a spare key made? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Didn't get an extra set with the bike. Can I just go to my local locksmith?

Thanks again for all of your great advice. This place rocks!

We are heading down south next month. going to spend a few days in N.C. around Maggie Valley. We plan on taking the 15 south out of Painted Post to the 220 south out of Williamsport pa. through MD, WV to Roanoke VA. from there it is still up in the air as to which route we will take to Maggie Valley. But if your heading to Atlanta you might tray taking the Blue ridge parkway from Roanoke through VA. and NC. Then take State roads into Atlanta.

My advise?

Listen to cowpuc, carry a high limit credit card and a second one and keep an open mind to meeting great folk along the way.

Ps call your cc companies and tell them you will be making many small purchases as gas stations in the specific states.

VentureFar...

And for those of us who don't have credit cards? I know, it's pretty strange this day in age, but I really only like to spend money I have, rather than incur debt. Have enough students loans I'm still payin' off as it is. I am assuming that this is for emergency contingencies, but do you think it is really something critical? Like, mission critical, an abort without kind of deal?

We are heading down south next month. going to spend a few days in N.C. around Maggie Valley. We plan on taking the 15 south out of Painted Post to the 220 south out of Williamsport pa. through MD, WV to Roanoke VA. from there it is still up in the air as to which route we will take to Maggie Valley. But if your heading to Atlanta you might tray taking the Blue ridge parkway from Roanoke through VA. and NC. Then take State roads into Atlanta.

I'll kick off a bit North of you, in Hector, just north of Watkins Glen, on 414. I'll be hitting up 220 for a stretch as well, looks like a great ride. Was thinking I would ride through Tennessee though instead of NC. How is the Blue Ridge Parkway traffic wise? My destination in Atlanta is in NW ATL. I found a pretty quiet route into the city (as quiet as into a dense city can really get), that only has me on 10 miles of basically two lane, and 1.3 miles of city traffic to pull up at the venue. Never ridden in a city that big before, and honestly, I'm a bit worried about it. I'm not a white knuckle driver though, even when I'm nervous, so I'm hoping I'll just settle into it.

As for mounting stuff on the handlebars ..... search "snagglestuds" and see what pops up. Or check with Carbon One and see if he still had any. He made some great sets a while back.

The best option to our handlbar problem on the first gene.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Hey molders,

I use this: http://www.echoproducts.com/echoaccessories/echopluggo.html for cell phone mount on my handlebars. I ran a fused wire from the battery to the supplied lead. It charges my iPhone while I listen to music and use the turn by turn navigation. I listen through a Chatterbox communication system with spreaders in my helmet. Rarely have taken a cell call while riding but can easily.

Carry a zip lock plastic bag and rubber bands in case of rain

I'll kick off a bit North of you, in Hector, just north of Watkins Glen, on 414. I'll be hitting up 220 for a stretch as well, looks like a great ride. Was thinking I would ride through Tennessee though instead of NC. How is the Blue Ridge Parkway traffic wise? My destination in Atlanta is in NW ATL. I found a pretty quiet route into the city (as quiet as into a dense city can really get), that only has me on 10 miles of basically two lane, and 1.3 miles of city traffic to pull up at the venue. Never ridden in a city that big before, and honestly, I'm a bit worried about it. I'm not a white knuckle driver though, even when I'm nervous, so I'm hoping I'll just settle into it.

We live in Romulus And will also take the 414 south through Watkins Glen to Painted Post to pick up the 15. Do you live in Hector?

Do you know how big a phone it will accommodate? I have a Samsung Note II, which it absurdly large at 81.5mm x 151.1mm. I looked at the link but didn't see any indication as to device size accommodations.

Long distance tips:

Take frequent breaks. Enjoy the ride.

Wrap cues in their sleeves and pack in a cardboard or metal fishing tube. Go to sports store and see if you can find something that fits. Just a thought...

Tire pressure daily.

BTW, I got a flat tire at interstate speeds on the rear. Fully loaded little 250 street scrambler (YDS-6C Yamaha). Speed dropped, rear end got loose...just let off throttle and coasted to side of road. Whew.

Rain suit. Nothing worse than riding wet...a bit chilly.

Layer your clothes for temp changes throughout ride.

Sun and lip screen. Aloe for the face after each day for wind burn if you don't have full helmet. Get small travel tubes.

Minimum tools would be bike tool kit.

Practice pack the bike a few times to get the feel of what goes where that is best for you.

Camera in phone...and use it.

Daily diary for gas mileage, and your experiences. You won't regret that later on...you can share with us too!

off the top of head, that's my experiences....

Enjoy the trip!

david

For a phone mount I would recomend one like this. You will also have to buy the mount part to go on the bike, so probably have maybe $35 in it. I think when what I am using now gives up its what I am going to. Plus you can use it for other phones when you change. I have a Ram Mount for my GPs and its top notch.

For a phone mount I would recomend one like this. You will also have to buy the mount part to go on the bike, so probably have maybe $35 in it. I think when what I am using now gives up its what I am going to. Plus you can use it for other phones when you change. I have a Ram Mount for my GPs and its top notch.

This looks pretty awesome. Anyone have experience with this style on 1st generations?

off the top of head, that's my experiences....

Enjoy the trip!

david

Thanks David!

I'm hoping also to record some of it from my handle bar mount phone. I'll try and post some of the better clips if I can get some decent footage. Maybe I'll do a video diary for the trip to share.

Edited by malders
me grammar badly

I checked out the snagglestuds. Those are freaking sweet. Please pardon my excitement. How do I get me some of those? or at least one?

Just sent ya a PM. I think Larry can help ya. The ones he made were also drilled to work with ram mounts. The answer to your mounting situation.

Mike

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.