IGNORED

RSV vs RSTD

fgrimes636

An odd question. Anyone here buy the RSTD and wish they had bought the RSV that they test rode? Or visa versa?

I really love my RSTD, but the test ride on the RSV still sits in the back of my mind. I loved it, but had issues with the top heavy. I am a small guy. I know we probably wouldn't use the cassette player or even the radio. But the looks are so cool. I don't regret it and am looking forward to some long rides next year.

Just wondering that's all.

Hello Frank: Either bike is a great choice. I agree that both bikes especailly the RSV are top heavy. It takes time to master a safe riding skill to over come that. I also test rode both models and I chose the RSTD because it fit my 30" inseam the best. I have since added a Harley Tour Pak to my RSTD. I really like the set up. I am happy with my choice. It may be several years before I decide on a different bike. To each their own. Just my two cents.

I am a fairly new RSV owner. I have had the bike less then a month. When I was test riding them, I wasn't able to be flat footed on a stock height model. I am 5'8 with 30-31 inseam. I enjoyed the ride and the bike and thought , well maybe I can lower it. I passed on that bike and found my current one. A 2003 with 24k miles. What it came with was a few things I was going to add : clarion CD player, trunk light bar, kuryakyn foot pegs and most of all, barons lowering kit. At a drop of 1.5 inches, I am able to have flat feet. I will say its a bit nerve wracking of hearing the top heavy stories and I made myself sick w worry. However, I have been practicing tight turns in slow speeds. Parking lots, empty schools and purposely making u turns on the road to decrease the nerves. It still takes getting used to and I have trouble backing the bike up from a hill. That said, I like the bike and will give it a fair shake, about a year of riding. The people on the forum are always willing to help either via forum or even in person. It has made me more confident, but not cocky.

My Vulcan is much easier to handle and has less components to break and with more space w saddlebags and T bag. However, there is something about the venture that makes me wanna ride it. I am NOT mechanically inclined, so it needs to be extremely reliable, which both the shop and VR members say it is . If your gut says RSV, and you can swing it, give it a try. Make sure you can safely ride it, even if it means lowering the bike. I am not the first or only short guy to ride one. Good luck and happy holidays...

Let me start by saying, "I love my Venture!" So much so that I own 2 2000 RSV MM Limiteds. The first thing I did to my first one was to lower it. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I did not lower the second immediately, waited about 2 weeks. They are great touring bikes, extremely comfortable even on real long rides. I have rode 1100 miles on a weekend trip.

Just a suggestion but a few things to consider ...

If it is a used RSV you were looking at it might just need some "customizing" to fit you. Maybe different handle bars, Butt Butler mod (seat narrowed), shocks/forks set at a different pressure. I find if the steering is loose it makes a difference in handling and only takes a few minutes to "fix".

Nothing wrong with the RSTD. If you want more fairing, more comfortable seating for the passenger, more storage... the RSV is the way to go.

I thought they were basicly the same bike minus the fairing and trunk? For me when looking for a replacment for my 900 Kawi electronic cruise was a must have. I didnt want to have to go the vista cruise again. I put over 10k a year on and majority of that is highway miles. Radio and comm was a big point too. Although I know now I could go the Scala route and get that. I actually think I could cary more gear more easily on my 900 with just large leather type saddle bags and luggage rack. More versatility I think. I have 2 different type bags for the luggage rack. The Venture saddles bags aint bad but putting gear in the trunk is a challenge for 2 up for a week. I am happy with my RSV, I like the looks of the fairing better than just the shield.

Well, I thought the same thing too djh, but a friend of mine had a Tour Deluxe, and when I rode it there was a definite difference. He had lowered it and did the Progressive fork springs, but they did not ride the same. The T/D actually "felt" more like the Roadstar I had. Evidently the extra weight of the Venture was what made the difference.

I've owned both I had a 1999 RSV and I really enjoyed but it was top heavy and I just never cared for the look of the front fairing. I sold it when I went to Korea and when I came back I got the 2007 RSTD.

To me it feels much better. I'm 6'2" tall so that's not an issue. I added a Hoppe fairing and a quick detach tour pack. The best combo for me is the fairing (with radio) and no tourpack. Just like a Harley street glide, the handling is better and I get the benifits of the fairing with less weight. I can add the tour pak when needed and suffer the extra weight but this was the best solution for me.

Of course now Victory has the Cross Country Deluxe with everything I want in a bike already in place so this may be my last Yammy tourer. I would miss the smooth V-4 but I could get used to it and that's another thread.....

[ATTACH]73194[/ATTACH]

I have had both... I sold the Tour Deluxe mainly because I could not keep both and my wife enjoyed the ride and comfort of the second seat much better.

As for what I think about the difference, I loved the ride and versitility of the TD but in my case I think the RSV actually handled a little better at slower speeds than the TD.

As far as comfort, mt TD had a Mustang seat with back rest and the RSV has factory with add on back rest... .....by a minute amount, I lked the venture seat but the mustang backrest set up just a little bit.

IMHO

I've had both. 99 RSV to get my wife to ride. She wouldn't. Loved the bike but didn't need the trunk all the time and unchangable fairing, sold it for RSTD. Love it more. Have different windshild (MS slim cut down) and painted the stock WS to match. Looks much better IMO. Made Q.D.flat bed for it when needed and will be adding an gl1100 trunk (Q.D. too).

Just can't do all that with a RSV.

I bought a new 2008 RSTD as NOS in 2009. After a year I bought a RSV (2000 MM). While they are 95% the same bike, the rides are slightly different because of the seat and handlebars, and of course, slightly increased weight of the RSV. But the difference is a small one. Seats and handlebars are easily and often customized options.

Both my bikes are stock setup with the exception of a Rick Butler seat on my RSV and a narrower 130 width Avon on my RSTD. I am just able to get my feet down on either of them, the RSTD being slightly easier to handle.

The wind protection and seating/handlebar position on the RSV suits me best. Not a lot better, but somewhat. The RSTD gives me more peace of mind knowing that its going to be easier to work on some common front end repair items if ever needed. But I would take either of them for a cross country trip. I might upgrade the seat on the RSTD if it was my only MC.

btw, I mostly ride solo.

Like Randy, I do own and ride both, 2006 RSTD (93k miles) and 2009 RSV (43k miles).

MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT BOTH IS, THE V4!!

During the time I've had the bikes I also had a Road Star and a Stratoliner. Also great bikes but,,, ain't got that V4.

Even though my RSTD has the Ultimate Seat pack, my wife was never good for duration rides. When I got the RSV, that changed. So, for comfort, the RSV wins out, both rider and passenger. Not just seats but also that fairing takes out more wind, cold and wind noise. (but I never use the radio/system, most do.).

As for the ride, both of mine are lowered front and rear (for 29" inseam).

I did have the RSV seat cut down to lower, but that just gave me a thinly padded seat for little difference in inseam. I ended up getting the seat built back up.

The rear on both have the Baron's kit, BUT, I had a fab shop make links half way between, so lowered 3/4" only.

Just lowering the rear may help you get feet on the ground but this increases the rake, giving less steering control and more likely will drag mufflers.

For the front, the RSV is lowered the full 1 1/2" and the RSTD is lowered somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4". (But on my RSV, once I lowered the front, I put the rear back to stock height. That worked great.)

If you have not lowered but need to (due to inseam),,, let my experience tell you, LOWER THE FRONT first. Then see if you still need to lower the rear.

(There is a tech thread on this forum on "how to", or like I did, find someone who can do it for you.)

So, cutting back to subject, I use my RSTD for my solo bike, daily commute. I have the louder mufflers and it's my GO BIKE. It's a Midnight and looks good. It does have a little easier handling between the two. Made me fall in love with the V4.

But, if I am two up or on a distance ride, the RSV is my comfort bike. It does not take long for me to jump on the RSV and think, "Hey, this is all I need!" I settled on a set of Road King mufflers, to be just a bit deeper but not loud. It has the same power as the RSTD but I use it more for distance and comfort.

If my wife said I had to get rid of one,,,,,, well, I would miss her.

Mike G in SC

Test road the RSV, bought the RSTD. Half of the guys I ride with have / had touring bikes and unless we were riding long distance they got where they wouldnt ride. I figured with the RSTD, I could tour and play. Perfect choice for me. Now I tour more than them and have no problem putting around locally. Being able to remove the windshield is really nice also. The Mustang seat and the Ultimate Beadrider makes 12 hours in the saddle a breeze.

:usa: