IGNORED

Recommendation for a tool kit?

Buck_Roy

I've just realized that my "new to me" 03 RSV didn't come with the OEM tool kit. I called the seller, but in case he doesn't have it, I want to find something that will do at least the basics. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a good aftermarket tool-kit that works out for the RSV? Or any idea where I might find an OEM kit?

Silly question maybe, but did you look under the foam liner in the right handsaddle bag? That is where the OEM kit is stored by the factory.

You could check PinWall salvage the may have some.

Tell you the truth I have had my Venture going on 6 years never used the tools in the kit. If I had to build a kit from scratch, I would have a 4 mm, 4.5 mm, 5 mm, 6 mm, 7 mm and 8 mm allen wrench, 10 mm combination wrench, small adjustable, screw driver with interchangeable bits, a spark plug wrench and a flash light.

besides a standard metric type wrench set, I like to have metric line wrenches, they hold onto nuts and bolts a little better. ie: the mirror adjustment nuts or oil drain bolt can round off with a standard metric wrench.

Silly question maybe, but did you look under the foam liner in the right handsaddle bag? That is where the OEM kit is stored by the factory.

Tell you the truth I have had my Venture going on 6 years never used the tools in the kit. If I had to build a kit from scratch, I would have a 4 mm, 4.5 mm, 5 mm, 6 mm, 7 mm and 8 mm allen wrench, 10 mm combination wrench, small adjustable, screw driver with interchangeable bits, a spark plug wrench and a flash light.

besides a standard metric type wrench set, I like to have metric line wrenches, they hold onto nuts and bolts a little better. ie: the mirror adjustment nuts or oil drain bolt can round off with a standard metric wrench.

I second the line wrenches.

I wish. ;) I could deal with just not knowing where it would be, but I saw that in the owner's manual....just nothing there when I looked. ;-/

Thanks, Steve, a lot! I contacted Pinwall by email, I'll wait and see if I hear back from them.

If you should ever need to take off your fairing off you will need a 3 mm and check the allen bolt under the headlight.... I thinks it's a 5 mm. Do not get real long wrenchs as they will hit the clutch and brake levers. If you can find a chrome set get them, they are easier in find in the dark if you drop it ???

Cb

Don't know if the spark plug access is the same on gen2 as gen1 but if it is, you'll need a very thin wall socket.

I wish. ;) I could deal with just not knowing where it would be, but I saw that in the owner's manual....just nothing there when I looked. ;-/

Thanks, Steve, a lot! I contacted Pinwall by email, I'll wait and see if I hear back from them.

Pinwall typically does not respond to emails.

Phone # is 330-879-9910

Gary

Besides the tool kit,,, I also carry a small set of jumper cables and a well contained mini-air pump in my saddle bag. Oh and the sticky-rope type tire patch kit.

I suggest O'Reilly's for the pump and the cables. They carry the pump and cables below. Both are small but good quality.

More often than not, I use them to help friends on club rides.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/ss/01413.jpgprevioushttp://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/sli/40001_v1_20100629.jpg

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/xts/15-001.jpg

Edited by Mike G in SC

Here is what I put together for the trailer when we traveled. It just turned out to be a gas waster (too much extra weight) the truth is I have traveled on these Ventures for over 30 years and over 300,000 miles and there have been only 4 times I needed a tow and they all involved hitting something. I found if you have a credit card and a cell phone with these tough bikes with a bullet proof engine you have all you need. So here is the list better to not need it and have it, then to not have it and need it I guess.

TOOL KIT FOR BIKE

WRENCHES 6-22 MM

FLAT TIP SCREWDRIVER #2

PHILLIP HEAD SCREWDRIVER #1 & #2

SMALL SCREWDRIVER (pocket type) Flat and Phillips

ELECTRIC TAPE

SOLDERLESS CONNECTORS

FUSES assorted

FLAT FIXING KIT & Spoons

TIRE GAUGE

VALVE STEM REMOVER

OIL DIPSTICK

HEAVY PAPER (to roll a funnel)

PLIERS

ALLEN SET CHROME BALL END

CRESENT WRENCH

WIRE CUTTING TOOL and STRIPPER

4" long spark plug wire end cap

3/8 WRACHET

6" SWIVEL END EXTENSION

3" SWIVEL END EXTENSION

SPARK PLUG SOCKET

SOCKETS # 8-10-12-13-15-17-19-22

ZIP TIES

SHOP TOWELS

HAND CLEANER

6 ft ELECTRICAL WIRE

NUTS-BOLTS-SCEWS..ASSORTMENT

SILICON SEALER

SIPHON HOSE 1/4 X 6ft

FIRSTAID KIT

JUMPER CABLES

OIL DIPSTICK

Thanks Kantornado, that's a GREAT list! I'm dying to ask though....."oil dipstick"?? Isn't the sight glass window good?

I'm assuming from a few comments I've gotten that putting my own tool kit together is a good idea, although I've looked at a few aftermarket sets on AMAZON.

And, I've never had to jump a scooter. Is it done the same way you jump a car??

Thanks again, to everyone!!

Buck Roy,

For the oil sight glass, more tools,,,, get a mechanics mirror (mirror on a extension stick) and a small flashlight. You can sit on the bike to level it and if light is low, aim the flashlight down the mirror to see the level.

On jump charging: bike to bike, pull the seats and use the jumpers with other bike running. If you are jumping a bike from a car, best turn the car off to decrease the output.

The pump kit has a adapter that you attach to the battery posts but I've found it does not carry the amps to use for jumping a bike. But compared to a car, those little jumper cables do just fine on a bike.

Mike G.

For the money they want for the factory one there (on e-bay) I would probably just go to like Cycle Gear or Motorcycle Superstore and get something like this. Other places to look are Jafrum, Leather Up.com Check e-bay Honestly what I have seen in my tool kit the only usable thing might be the screwdriver and 10mm wrench. I did like the cell phone AAA card answer though.

I used the tools on the road helping other riders. HD guys don’t complain there mostly embarrassed. I kind of get a kick out of telling them how bullet proof these Ventures are. LOL

The dip stick is used for a 1st Gen it just goes with me everywhere I go. LOL

Yes! Jumping a scooter. Is the same way you jump a car. Except the car does not need to be running.

Glad this helps I went and got a plastic case (like a brief case) and foam liner to hold all the tools and keep them from moving around.

Because I pulled a trailer I also carried a 1 gal gas can.

A front and back shock air pump, flashlight is always on the bike as well as a cargo net for the luggage rack.

Glad this is helpful: If you can get a OEM off of ebay for the bikes saddle bag it will be enough then add what you think you might need.:cool10:

I knew I had seen them before just couldnt remember the name. Cruz tools is it. They also have on thier site a fold out allen tool that has a fixture for some sockets. Looks pretty handy. http://www.cruztools.com/products/prodimages/RTM3a.jpghttp://www.cruztools.com/products/prodimages/om14.jpg

E-bay listings. Wrenches definatly look better then the stamped out yamaha jobbies.

I knew I had seen them before just couldnt remember the name. Cruz tools is it. They also have on thier site a fold out allen tool that has a fixture for some sockets. Looks pretty handy.

Thanks, djh3, that set looks nice! And it looks, at least in the picture, that there would be room in the "roll up" to add a few tools to it if I needed. I'm starting to compare the price of the kit vs. buying the tools individually and putting a kit together myself and just trying to find a tool bag to hold them. I really like the suggestion about the jumper cables and the mini-inflator too. Guess I could just try to find one tool bag big enough to hold everything and still fit in one saddlebag.

Again, thanks for all the great advice!!

Edited by Buck_Roy

What's commonly referred to Down-Under as 'dog turd'!

(Well, you've seen what a dog turn looks like on your tyre [tire] when you run over it??)

:whistling:

LOL! Yes, and I have it seen squished between my toes at 3 in the morning.

Guess I wasn't the only one who had to go during the night.

That was my last dog,,, in 1972!

I knew I had seen them before just couldnt remember the name. Cruz tools is it. They also have on thier site a fold out allen tool that has a fixture for some sockets. Looks pretty handy.

Thanks, djh3, that set looks nice! And it looks, at least in the picture, that there would be room in the "roll up" to add a few tools to it if I needed. I'm starting to compare the price of the kit vs. buying the tools individually and putting a kit together myself and just trying to find a tool bag to hold them. I really like the suggestion about the jumper cables and the mini-inflator too. Guess I could just try to find one tool bag big enough to hold everything and still fit in one saddlebag.

Again, thanks for all the great advice!!

Buck Roy,

I wouldn't keep the jumpers, inflator or zero hand pump in the tool bag. They can hide in the bottom of you saddle bag. My Left saddle bag is for people stuff, my right saddle bag is for bike stuff (tools, jumpers, inflator, bungies, cleaner stuff). Trunk for other stuff and the trailer for my wife's stuff. Haha.

Good thread. I carry a few of these items, but many more to choose from I hadn't thought about. One item I added was one of these from Harbor Freight. Pretty useful in a pinch. Oh, and don't forget the bailing wire.

[ATTACH]73329[/ATTACH]