IGNORED

When's the last time you seen one of these?

stroker ace

Wow that brings back good memmories.

I owned a 1977 RD400 , it had a black seat though and was sort of a burnt orange in color.

Only problem I ever had with it was, the speedodometer cable would twist off at about 118 mph.:confused24: Although to be fair, I believe it only was suppose to go up to 115... LOL

Believe EPA shutdown the street legal 2 cycles entirely in 1979.

Wow that brings back good memmories.

I owned a 1977 RD400 , it had a black seat though and was sort of a burnt orange in color.

Only problem I ever had with it was, the speedodometer cable would twist off at about 118 mph.:confused24: Although to be fair, I believe it only was suppose to go up to 115... LOL

Believe EPA shutdown the street legal 2 cycles entirely in 1979.

You could still buy the RZ350 up through the mid-late 80's. I had a 84 RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition that I bought new, sold it like a DA in the mid 90's. I found the pair of 77's at a garage sale back in 2000 from the original owner been sitting for a few years. They still have the original paint, the seats need upholstered, tanks, carbs, brakes etc gone through. I've been riding the blue one since 2001 after my friend rode it he bought the red one from me.

Last fall I found a RZ500.http://www.rz500.net/index_files/RZ500_1C.jpg

This is not my Bike but what it should look like when done.... if ever

My first new bike ever was a 1973 Kawasaki H3 750 triple at age 16 :no-no-no: lived to tell about it. I traded it in on the 84 RZ350.

Loved those bikes. I had a black 1976 RD400 I bought new in '76 after reading the Cycle Canada road test. One fast (for its time) road machine with great handling except for one glaring fault. It had fixed foot pegs - non-folding! A buddy of mine once said that as he watched me pull away in a turn, I was leaving a trail of sparks from the peg. Sure enough, when I checked, the rubber was worn right through to the metal! Thank God I didn't hit a bump or have to tighten up the turn - I would have gone straight into the trees! In 1985 I bought a new RZ350. Road it for 5 years then went road racing with it. Some rookie went straight in a right hander at Shannonville and took me out at the back wheel while I was doing about 150 kph through the turn. The bike wouldn't have been too bad, but it slid onto the grass. Everything dug in and the bike started to tumble. What was left is still in my shed. I keep telling myself I may rebuild it some day. Hell, the motor only had about 200 km on it after a full rebuild, porting and shaving of the head - it could really move! On the street, a lot of the older 750 pilots would get quite a shock when trying to keep up with us. By the way, the 750 Kawi triple was the H-2. Fast in a straight line, but, like the 500, it had a fork that felt and acted like it was made from cheap plastic - really scary on a winding road or coming off a wheelie!

My body couldn't handle that riding position for long anymore, but it sure would be fun to go for a quick run again.

Andy

By the way, the 750 Kawi triple was the H-2. Fast in a straight line, but, like the 500, it had a fork that felt and acted like it was made from cheap plastic - really scary on a winding road or coming off a wheelie!

My body couldn't handle that riding position for long anymore, but it sure would be fun to go for a quick run again.

Andy

You are correct it was a H2 mark IV I think, the brain ain't as good as it once was. lol :detective:

Man, does that bring back memories. There were 4 of us that came up thru grade school together, and when we got our license in '74 we all got bikes. Two of us got enduros, me a 175 Kaw, another a 250 Kaw, the other 2 guys got a 750 triple Kaw and a Z-1 900. We all split up our riding among each others bikes, then we would head to town on Saturday night to do the McD's thing and cruise the local hangouts. We rode 2-up on the street bikes, but that was before 2 guys on a bike wasn't "politically correct".:whistling: I absolutely loved the smell of the old 2 strokers though, and they seemed at the time to be just monstrous in size. One of my cousins still has an old Kaw 500 triple that hasn't been ridden in at least 20 years, and it still could be a fixer. I've been working him trying to buy it from him, but no luck so far. Thanks for the good old memories.:backinmyday:

By the way, the 750 Kawi triple was the H-2. Fast in a straight line, but, like the 500, it had a fork that felt and acted like it was made from cheap plastic - really scary on a winding road or coming off a wheelie!

Andy

You are correct it was a H2 mark IV I think, the brain ain't as good as it once was. lol :detective:

Actually, it was called the Mach IV since the 500 H1 had been called the Mach III - your memory's not all that bad. I still have a 1970 road test of the H2. Fun to read what they thought of its power back then, especially when most of today's 600's would eat an H2 for breakfast!

Andy

I had an early RD350. Way scary fast, first street bike I owned. My brother in-law had the Kawi 250 triple. That was a scat cycle there man. His 250 would spank my RD out of the blocks to about 50. I knew a fellow that had one of the Mach 1 750 triples also. Talk about unsafe at any speed. Yikes.

You could still buy the RZ350 up through the mid-late 80's. I had a 84 RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition that I bought new, sold it like a DA in the mid 90's. I found the pair of 77's at a garage sale back in 2000 from the original owner been sitting for a few years. They still have the original paint, the seats need upholstered, tanks, carbs, brakes etc gone through. I've been riding the blue one since 2001 after my friend rode it he bought the red one from me.

Last fall I found a RZ500.http://www.rz500.net/index_files/RZ500_1C.jpg

This is not my Bike but what it should look like when done.... if ever

My first new bike ever was a 1973 Kawasaki H3 750 triple at age 16 :no-no-no: lived to tell about it. I traded it in on the 84 RZ350.

First time I've seen a (liquid cooled) RZ350, and it was street legal? I see after discontinuing the 2 cyscl streets in 1980 this one came back for a brief period. It was sold in 84 and 85, then the EPA shut it down as well.

My wife sold my RD400 at a yard sle for $400. You gotta watch those women when they get to selling things..

Edited by CaptainJoe

First time I've seen a (liquid cooled) RZ350, and it was street legal? I see after discontinuing the 2 cyscl streets in 1980 this one came back for a brief period. It was sold in 84 and 85, then the EPA shut it down as well.

My wife sold my RD400 at a yard sle for $400. You gotta watch those women when they get to selling things..

The picture of the red and white bike is a 1984 RZ500 liquid cooled V4 never sold in the U.S.A. it is street legal. I reckon a few got brought in back in the day, the guy I got it from had bought it from someone in California.

The old RZ350 went liquid cooled somewhere in the mid 80's just not sold here. They did fit the engine into the banshee four wheeler though and then killed it off some time in the mid 2000's.

I always wanted one of the mid 70's Yamaha TZ750, I think if you have enough funds you might be able to dig one up.

Ooops my bad, no disrespect that RZ500 is fine lookin.....

They had a TZ750 two cycle ? Probably was well out of my price range at the time... dang. now that one passed me by. Probably a good thing as at that time, I liked to trash speedo cables....:Avatars_Gee_George:

Yeah back in the early 70's not street legal race only bike even though I've seen several that were fitted with lights back in the 80's. It was the same bike that Kenny Roberts raced in AMA in the early 70's, it won the Daytona 200 8 or 9 times in a row. They had a dirt flat track edition also. I've heard different stories about them around somewhere around 350 pounds and around 150 horsepower. I actually got to ride one a couple years back at Barber's vintage bike bash. WOW!!!

First bike I owned when I moved to Alaska was a 360RD. I saw the 350 RD at Barber's museum at my very first VR M&E. I asked the museum cureator about a 360RD and he said they had one downstairs being rebuilt. I sure would have loved to see it.

BEER30

Remember those old Kawasaki bikes...was it an H3 ?

750cc three cylinder two stroke.

Those were FAST bikes:backinmyday:

Kaw also had a smaller (350?) three cylinder two stroke in the early '70s. I had a Suzuki T350J two cylinder two stroke and a buddy had the small Kaw 3. Another buddy had the 750. He did a wheelie showing off for his girl, lost it, and wound up with a bunch of road rash. The Navy was not amused. The rest of us were very very careful.

I had a friend at school who's Dad bought him a brand new RD400 in 1977.

I was riding a 1958 BSA Bantam at the time. We all used to ride bikes to school, and go out weekends as a group. We only lived about 10 miles from the UK south coast, and would go off to the beach regularly.

One day the RD owner (Ray), was showing off attempting to wheelie in the street outside the school. The chain snapped and punched a hole in the crankcase, to the merriment of all the onlookers.

My bike got me home that night, his didn't :)

I always liked that RD though!