IGNORED

will changing leaf springs affect GVWR?

reddevilmedic

im changing the original rear leaf springs in my Ranger. the stock spring is rated at 1050 lbs. the new one are 1750 lbs. 2 questions...1. will it change the GVWR? and 2. will it change the tongue load on the trailer? im trying to give it a little more towing capacity over stock. i know the leafs are for cargo capacity, but will it change towing?

Guest tx2sturgis
im changing the original rear leaf springs in my Ranger. the stock spring is rated at 1050 lbs. the new one are 1750 lbs. 2 questions...1. will it change the GVWR? and 2. will it change the tongue load on the trailer? im trying to give it a little more towing capacity over stock. i know the leafs are for cargo capacity, but will it change towing?

If your actually trying to provide a 'little more towing capacity', then you’ll probably be ok...

But, will it safely handle TWICE the factory rating? Nope.

You have to also consider the brakes, tires, cooling capacity, transmission, gear ratios, and engine size.

I'm betting the ride will be a lot stiffer with no load in the bed.

If your actually trying to provide a 'little more towing capacity', then you’ll probably be ok...

But, will it safely handle TWICE the factory rating? Nope.

You have to also consider the brakes, tires, cooling capacity, transmission, gear ratios, and engine size.

I'm betting the ride will be a lot stiffer with no load in the bed.

:sign yeah that:

thanks everyone! i was just looking for a little more. i noticed when i was changing rear shocks that there were only 3 leafs. the specs call for a 4 leaf spring. i checked with the dealer also. not sure why one was missing. so i got some 5 leafs from general spring in kc. should be here in 2 more days. as far as axles...i have upgraded the gears to 4.10s, upgraded brakes to hd service. all shocks have been changed to hd ranchos with extra travel. other upgrades include trans cooler, bbk throttle body, jet performance module, accel coil, k &n cold air, 3 core radiator, power steering cooler, cat back exhaust, headers, and cast diff cover with extra capacity. over the winter, after i repair the second gear on the venture....i plan on adding a diff cam, some head work.

That's why I've always gotten a one-ton extended van to work with, never know what you need to handle in the future!!

With a 3k rated and tagged trailer and 9k plate on the truck, I've been loaded up to 11,500 lbs at the scales for a long road trip before!!

With the standard cargo I carry in the van (electrical contractor), it rides better than our Durango does!! I consider the new "Smart Car" as just a spare tire for the van! :cool10: :cool10: :cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis
Just traded my old Ranger in for a new Frontier 4x4 it rocks ! :happy65:

I was drooling over those for a while...kinda had the new car 'fever'....but I sure dont want to go back into debt.

And I understand the Frontier is gonna be discontinued soon, just like the Ranger.

I think there is a need for smaller, economical trucks, but I guess the numbers just arent there for the carmakers....oh well...

Edited by tx2sturgis

If you are asking if heavier springs will allow you to overload your truck ---no. But factory springs are notoriously soft. Better springs can help you carry the intended load, improve handling and lessen bottoming out. So if you feel you need them you probably do. Your truck will ride a little stiffer unloaded so be prepared for that.

What year Ranger? Engine size?

Ford rate the GVW primarily(but not totally) on what it can STOP, not drag so to increase GVW any appreciable amount a brake upgrade is in order.

We do this all the time on big rigs. Ist we incease spring capacity. then we increase tire and wheel size together we are able to apply for a complience sticker showing a higher gvwr. There are however some restrictions as to how far you can go. This is based on axle size and wheel bearing size, they do have limitations as to how far you can go oversize.

If you are spec'ing the trailer from new get brakes on both axles. Best $200 or so you'll spend on a trailer.

That year/engine Ranger has an 8.8 rear axle, only real difference between it and a 150 axle or a full size Bronco (½ton also) is the axle length and brakes. Bearings are the same, both outer and carrier. The larger brakes from a 150 can be retro'd to this if you drill new bolt pattern in the drums for the 5x4.5 pattern. May not be worth the trouble, if you get brakes on both trailer axles.