IGNORED

99 RSTD wont crank

Guest thomasj

Guest thomasj

Did a search and cant find anything that describes my probelm exactly. Ive just finished washing the bike and now it wont crank at all.

Ignition on, kill switch on and press the start button, headlight dosent go out and temp light comes on. Tried it with the clutch in and the stand up but still no go. Hope someone here has had the same issue and can help with my problem.

Just noticed that the speedo is iluminating but the odometer is'nt showing and the oil light is not on.

Edited by thomasj

Guest thomasj

I just cleaned out a plug that looks like it goes to the ignition switch and now when i press the button the temp light dosent come on. I did use a fair bit of water in the radiator aeria to clean bugs out. looks like the radiator has to come out to remove the ignition swich, please someone who knows correct me if im wrong.

Try removing the tank and pull apart all the plug conections under the tank. dry them out, use some dielectric grease in them. do the same with all other plugs on the bike. like the connections behind the side covers and the lower fairing.

If you have it down under, spray some WD40 into the switch housing. Take some compressed air and at low pressure blow into the housing after you have sprayed the WD40 in it. Work the switches from different pressure spots on them. I wouldn't pull the switches apart unless your very comfortable doing it, it can be a disaster in the making....

:2cents:

Guest thomasj

No pressure washer was used only tap pressure. Ill give the WD40 a go and see what happens. Ill take the tank off tonight and check connections. Thanks for the help ill let you guys know how i go.

Guest thomasj

Ive checked all connections under the tank and gave the switch a dose of WD40. Now the odometer works but when i hit the starter switch the only thing hapening is the temp light comes on. No warning lights are coming on at all and the fuel pump is'nt working when the engine stop switch is in the run position. I've changed all fuses including the ones on the starter solenoidand. None of the plugs ive checked so far were wet or any sign of corosion, everything under the tank and sidecovers has a nice film of dust and any water present would be obvious. I assume the starting circuit relay is under the center cover behind the engine (havent got that far yet) but going by what ive found under the side cover i doubt that water would have got to it. However everything that it appears to controll is'nt working so that will be the next thing ill look at when i have daylight.

This model has the ignition switch on the left hand side infront of the tank and directly behind the radiator. Is that correct?

If it is then, they are known to be troublesome, the heat from the radiator causes them to die early. Normally the failure first occurs when the bike is hot, it can die on you as you are riding along , but more often they just refuse to start after being parked for a short time. I know this is not what you have described , but I would suspect the ignition switch as the most likely culprit. Sometimes just turning the igniton switch on and off several times will fix the immediate issue of not starting, it tends to knock some of the crud off the contacts so you get the faulty circuits connected again. This is short lived and the issue will reappear if you do not replace or bypass the ignition switch. Yamaha did recognize the issue at one point and has upgraded the switch with a heavier duty one, if there is any way to determine if the ignition switch has been changed previously that could also help to understand if this is the issue.

Good luck.

Guest thomasj
This model has the ignition switch on the left hand side infront of the tank and directly behind the radiator. Is that correct?

If it is then, they are known to be troublesome, the heat from the radiator causes them to die early. Normally the failure first occurs when the bike is hot, it can die on you as you are riding along , but more often they just refuse to start after being parked for a short time. I know this is not what you have described , but I would suspect the ignition switch as the most likely culprit. Sometimes just turning the igniton switch on and off several times will fix the immediate issue of not starting, it tends to knock some of the crud off the contacts so you get the faulty circuits connected again. This is short lived and the issue will reappear if you do not replace or bypass the ignition switch. Yamaha did recognize the issue at one point and has upgraded the switch with a heavier duty one, if there is any way to determine if the ignition switch has been changed previously that could also help to understand if this is the issue.

Good luck.

The switch location you describe is corect, id like to bypass to test to see if it is the switch or not but the wiring diagram i found on here is different to the one in my manual and i dont want to burn somethin out. The switch has a (1)red wire(+power), (2)Brown, (3)Green/yellow and (4)green black. my manual indicates that all 4 wires should be connected when the switch is on, the manual i found on here indicates when the swich is on 1 and 2 are conneceted and 3 and 4 are connected but isolated from 1&2. can someone clarify this for me please.

I have all service reccords from when the bike was new but dont see anything about the switch being replaced. The bike has done 85000 Km so far.

Thomas,

Have you tried wiggling the key as you try to start the bike, or sprayed some WD40 into the ignition slot? I would try that and that would be a clincher if it starts to the ignition being bad. The next thing I will mention is make sure the battery connections are tight and clean, both on the battery and their contact points to the started solenoid and the grounding spot on the frame :2cents:

If by "crank" you mean the starter does not spin it over, my '98 did that at a gas stop several weeks ago. Shut it off, fueled up and when I went to leave , "click" and then nothing. Turned the key off and back on. Everything lit up 'til I pushed the start button. Thought battery, since I had just been through the same thing with my RSV. Was right next door to Advance Auto, so started taking the battery out. Thought, hmmm! Terminal bolts are not as tight as I think they should be, so tightened them about 1/4 of a turn, each. Bike started right up!!!:cool10:

Moral: check simple stuff FIRST!!! :backinmyday:

If it "Cranks" but won't start then that's another program...:080402gudl_prv: