IGNORED

Handling

newventure

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have problems with low speed handling on mine with the wife on the back, I decided to lower the front end after doing some research about it on this site, as opposed to raising the rear with leveling links, as I did not want the bike to be any higher. I couldn't hardly believe how much easier the bike handled at low speeds, it was almost like riding a different bike. May not be for everyone but I like it.

Guy's I really don't understand the handling issues. Both of the RSV's I have owned, handle great to me. Much better than the ultra I road. ( a ultra handles sluggish and awkward at slow speeds to me, honestly if I had to ride a dressed harley I would quit)

I've read a couple of reviews of Electric Glides and Road Kings vs RSTD and RSV.. both of the older reviews (way back in 2005) the Yamahas got the nod for better handling, feel and power.

But the latest review (Road King vs RSTD) the Yamaha has not changed (as we all know) but the Road King got a bigger more powerful engine (still doesn't compete with the RSTD top end, but now has much more torque), and adjustable floorboards.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/0802_crup_harley_davidson_road_king/index.html

A number of owners have said that a smaller width (130) front tire helps the low speed handling a lot.

I have had my 99 for a year now and have added 11k miles on it so I have changed my tires already. I went with the 130 dunlop on the front and was absolutely AMAZED at how much easier the bike handles in ANY turn at any speed but especially in slow handling. The first thing I realised is that I no longer have to 'push" the bike through a turn..it now just falls the way I want it to go.

If you have someone near you that has a bike with the 130's on the front ask them. There is absolutely a very very big difference in handling. Another thing you could do witout spending a dime is lower the front 3/4 to 1 inch. This will also inprove slow speed handling. If you were in my area I'd let you try my 99. Good luck and let us know what you do. BTW those tires really are really really old.

:2cents:

Well my bike gets 2 new tires next week, I went with the e3's. So I will have lots of practice when we head off to Ocean City on the 12th. Also my wife and I are signing up for the advanced riding course on the 12th also,but the class won't be held until Oct. so hopefully things will help me gain some confidence with the venture. Alot of great suggestions on here, so it may help other's as well. It's strange one time I can ride 2 up and the bike feels great, but other times I have problems, just yesterday we were on a ride and my wife had commented on my difficulties on handling the bike, I sort of became disgusted and parked it and this morning was ready to sell it. Well after calming down some I made the call to get new tires and will get some more miles on it so we will see. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.....

Forget the tires. Any new tire is going to feel great...cause they're new. They're very round when new and will turn very fast.

Nothing will improve low speed handling better than low speed drills in an empty parking lot. I agree with those on this post recommending practice, practice and more practice.

You can scrape the floorboards at low speed on this bike with no problem with just about any tire on the bike.

Well my bike gets 2 new tires next week, I went with the e3's. So I will have lots of practice when we head off to Ocean City on the 12th. Also my wife and I are signing up for the advanced riding course on the 12th also,but the class won't be held until Oct. so hopefully things will help me gain some confidence with the venture. Alot of great suggestions on here, so it may help other's as well. It's strange one time I can ride 2 up and the bike feels great, but other times I have problems, just yesterday we were on a ride and my wife had commented on my difficulties on handling the bike, I sort of became disgusted and parked it and this morning was ready to sell it. Well after calming down some I made the call to get new tires and will get some more miles on it so we will see. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.....

Hang in there. I used to have the same feeling with the bike. You will find that feeling disappears with experience. Try to ride the bike at least 5 days a week even if for a little while. This will keep your "feel" for the bike in sync. Worked for me. I am very glad you and the wife are taking the experienced rider course. Practice the techniques often, especially the U-turns and slow speed manuvers. You will be glad you did.:cool10:

...I guess I should also add that I've dropped my RSV four times...usually during low speed drills. :witch_brew:

Just kidding.

I'm the third owner of my RSV. When I bought the bike, I brought it home and looked at the guards. They were ground down a bit on both sides, front and back, so I know the the previous owner(s), dropped the bike at least once, probably more.

I've dropped it twice during low speed drills and another three times from just not paying enough attention to what I was doing. Usually, the bike will just start going. Once past the point of no return there's no stopping it. Luckily, the bike just falls onto the guards and rests there. (more like slowly lays down like a lazy pig) You just have to pick it up, which is challenging in itself, to say the least. Just remember to pick it up really fast before anyone sees you.

Quite embarassing.

Not withstanding my prior post on this subject (which I truly believe), what else can I say, but that the RSV is a real pig at low speed :confused24:, but more than makes up for this characteristic on the slab.

Forget the tires. Any new tire is going to feel great...cause they're new. They're very round when new and will turn very fast.

Nothing will improve low speed handling better than low speed drills in an empty parking lot. I agree with those on this post recommending practice, practice and more practice.

You can scrape the floorboards at low speed on this bike with no problem with just about any tire on the bike.

I'll second that!!!!!!!

Look in your owners manual for the MINIMUM turning radius of these bikes..... If you can use the bike to it's limit, you will have PLENTY of room!!!!!!!!

I dont quite have it... yet.... but I am working on it.

I guess I will have to disagree. I changed my tires very early, the front was still round and new looking. I switched from the factory Brickstone to the Avon in a 130 size. Not that I had any problem with handling with the stock tires, but the smaller Avon made a serious difference.

As someone else said, from day one in slow speed maneuvers on the RSV I had to keep pressure on the bars for it to turn, with the new tire it falls into the corner like it is suppose to.

Of course it is true that some people don't like that feeling and prefer the larger tire, but coming from sport and sport-touring bikes, I do.

Hi Everyone - Well my wife and I had the same problem with feeling top heavy. So we added a voyager kit and just love it.

It is so nice not to have to worry about gravel, grass, is the road sloped here where I need to put my foot, etc.

It is hard to steer, you just have to put some muscle in it.

All in all we are well pleased.

Don and Ev

Alot of good suggestions here. I've ridden alot of bikes over the years, mostly metrics, a new rider I'm not. I'll get a handle on it sometime soon. I guess in the past I pretty much climbed on any bike and got comfortable right away, but the venture is a different beast for sure. Hopefully the tire change will help. My opinion the manufactures get tire deals with quanity and quality of tires when the bike is built, just as auto manufactures do. I believe they put bids out and whoever comes in with the best bid, thats who they go with. It's like anything in this world, you get what you pay for. Pay a little more for a quality product but it generally pays off in the long run, I guess I'll have to wait and see what the outcome is after the tire change....

• 1 year later...

I had a Midnight Tour Deluxe 06 that i put 58000 miles on. The original tire was apiece of junk, The tires only went 9200 miles...went to Dunlap 3's...These lasted for 17000+, replaced after rear flat on turnpike...Only tires available on the date I needed them where Avon Venom X....last set went 16000+ miles....current set at 14000+.. I felt like the Avons and dunlaps performed about the same....Avon's are quieter on the Road...I just trade for a new 2009 RSV and am having them put Avon's on from the Start.:178:

I hope that since you posted you've been out riding (a lot). From what I read, you've only put 3,000 miles on the bike in a year.

I got my 09 RSV 7 weeks ago and I've put about 3200 km on it and there are times when I still feel akward on the bike. Nothing like experience to get past the jitters.

From personal experience, good set of motorcycle boots does wonders when stopped and about to start going. Be "set" before you start rolling.

Also, not looking immediately in front of the bike is the wrong way to do it. Like taking a curve, looking well ahead makes the curve smoother. I've found that turning my head at least 45 degrees (or more) to where I want to go makes you less likely to touch the front brake or straighten up the bike too much (straighten up the bike and it wants to go straight and not turn).

I've read on the forums about the smaller tire on the front, the levelling links, lowering the front... but heard some say it helps slow speed manuevering but has the opposite effect on normal riding. I don't intend to try any of these, but will take the best course of action - lots of riding experience.

I've ordered the "Ride like a Pro" dvd and will look into an experience training course. It is hard trying to train yourself when you are experimenting with the RSV when you don't have the confidence already. That is something that you will gain from experience and the advanced riding course.

Good luck !

Lets face it the RSV is a great highway bike but it don't handle worth a darn at low speed,Everyone here has a defferent oppion as to what to do to fix the problem.The real porblem is Yamaha has been making the same bike with the same problems for 12 years and hasn't done a damn this to to fix these problems.Don't get me wrong,I real like my bike but we shouldn't have to make all these mods after all these years to get the thing right.:stirthepot:

I'm really having problems understanding this low speed issue. Not that I find it a problem with the issue, but that I haven't noticed it in practice.

I've only had my 07 Midnight Venture for less than a week, after moving up from a V-Star 650, and yet I haven't noticed any of the low speed issues so many refer to, even though I'm running the stock size tires (Bridgestone), with no lower/rise kits.

Could it be in some cases the difference between a new Venture rider coming from a touring style bike to a cruiser and noticing the different handling characteristics between the two classes of bike?

I hope that since you posted you've been out riding (a lot). From what I read, you've only put 3,000 miles on the bike in a year.

I got my 09 RSV 7 weeks ago and I've put about 3200 km on it and there are times when I still feel akward on the bike. Nothing like experience to get past the jitters.

From personal experience, good set of motorcycle boots does wonders when stopped and about to start going. Be "set" before you start rolling.

Also, not looking immediately in front of the bike is the wrong way to do it. Like taking a curve, looking well ahead makes the curve smoother. I've found that turning my head at least 45 degrees (or more) to where I want to go makes you less likely to touch the front brake or straighten up the bike too much (straighten up the bike and it wants to go straight and not turn).

I've read on the forums about the smaller tire on the front, the levelling links, lowering the front... but heard some say it helps slow speed manuevering but has the opposite effect on normal riding. I don't intend to try any of these, but will take the best course of action - lots of riding experience.

I've ordered the "Ride like a Pro" dvd and will look into an experience training course. It is hard trying to train yourself when you are experimenting with the RSV when you don't have the confidence already. That is something that you will gain from experience and the advanced riding course.

Good luck !

You better get movin, I bought mine the 17th of July and have put 7520 miles on it so far.:Venture::Venture::Venture:

Im not sure, but did you say the tires you have on now are 404's? I thought that the venture and tour deluxe came new with the bridgestones. If that is the case you arent running origional new tires. But who knows when they wouldve been changed. Some guys will change em out right away cause of the terrible handling. I ride a tour deluxe, and run the 404s now. They are a vast improvement over the origional bricks. Not saying that there arent alot better tire than the 404. I just wanted a WWW tire, and options are more limited.

I'll add my opinion here as well.

When I first got the RSV I noticed it was way nicer in town compared to my 02 Nomad. But over time I began to get less confident. And that is a Big big factor. Confidence! Somedays I can turn circles with the best of them and others I feel like a little girl and no clue.

Long and short is that practice and confidence with a little nohow can improve the situation. Good advise given about taking a Riding Course. Learn counter weight steering.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzB5oriblk]YouTube- Slow-speed countersteering[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PERJTHu1Od0&feature=related]YouTube- Best slow control riding ever?[/ame]

Personally I would add no things like links and wrong size tires.

Get comfortable with only yourself and then you'll feel more confident with your wife on board!

Newventure, I am not sure where Shippensburg is but there is a Ride Like a Pro franchise in Southern Maryland (a 2.5-3 hour ride from Harrisburg) with classes coming up with vacancies. I highly recomend this class for slow speed handling and some awesome safety techniques!! Here is a link. If you come down for a class let me know, I have a guest room you're welcome too!!

http://www.ridelikeapromd.com/

PS I just looked Shippensburg up, you're 2 hours or so from the area.