IGNORED

Harely Davidson Daytona dealer Killed in Crash.

Yama Mama

It's a shame that he died, but I feel more for the people in the truck that he hit. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who by all accounts was in the wrong and to top it off was NOT wearing a helmet.

Sturgis seems to be a death sentence for HD Dealership owners. Last year the Charolotte dealership owner was killed in an accident on the way to Sturgis.

Bruce Rossmeyer passed on the left a vehicle turning left. Stupid, right? But check this comment to the story that was posted:

Under FL law the truck is at fault, IF is was a legal passing zone. I dont know what WY law is. But here is the FL law that the truck violated: 316.122 Vehicle turning left.--The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, or vehicles lawfully passing on the left of the turning vehicle, which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

The accident occurred in WY, so FL law doesn't apply. Are there other states where this (to me idiotic) law applies? We don't know Mr. Rossmeyer's thinking, but do you ever do stupid things just because it is legal?

Dave

This is a classic example of why WE as riders need to be familiar with the road laws in States that we are driving in....AND....never be in such a hurry that we risk our own safety by doing something we would not normally do with safety in mind.

I feel for all parties involved with this tragedy.........

Boomer

Bruce Rossmeyer passed on the left a vehicle turning left. Stupid, right? But check this comment to the story that was posted:

Quote:

Under FL law the truck is at fault, IF is was a legal passing zone. I dont know what WY law is. But here is the FL law that the truck violated: 316.122 Vehicle turning left.--The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, or vehicles lawfully passing on the left of the turning vehicle, which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

The accident occurred in WY, so FL law doesn't apply. Are there other states where this (to me idiotic) law applies? We don't know Mr. Rossmeyer's thinking, but do you ever do stupid things just because it is legal?

Dave

Not sure where Dave got the Traffic Law quote from?

The QUOTE is telling me I'm pulling a camper across FLA or ANY STATE for that matter. And I have 5 miles of "OTHER" vehicles behind me and the road is 2 lanes of legal passing for as far as the eye can see and is straight and flat for many miles around and I have to make a left hand turn onto another side road and I signal to turn left and ALL (5 miles of vehicles) behind decide to pass me on the left instead of slow down and yield so I can turn I would have to wait until they all passed me? IMHO that is BULL... be it just one motorcycle or 500 other vehicles. I WOULD NOT KNOWINGLY turn in front of them either!!! Another case of scap-goating normal people because he was rich and famous? :witch_brew::doh::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

Edited by frogmaster

Not sure where Dave got the Traffic Law quote from?

The original post had a link to a news article. The news article allowed comments, and I pulled the quote from the comment. I thought it might make for a little cautionary tale-ing.

The QUOTE is telling me I'm pulling a camper across FLA or ANY STATE for that matter. And I have 5 miles of "OTHER" vehicles behind me and the road is 2 lanes of legal passing for as far as the eye can see and is straight and flat for many miles around and I have to make a left hand turn onto another side road and I signal to turn left and ALL (5 miles of vehicles) behind decide to pass me on the left instead of slow down and yield so I can turn I would have to wait until they all passed me? IMHO that is BULL... be it just one motorcycle or 500 other vehicles.

I really don't know the justification for this law.

Another case of scap-goating normal people because he was rich and famous. :witch_brew::doh::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

Not sure where this comment applies?

Dave

I believe there's a fed standard that the states must follow. If there's any kind of intersection then there's to be a double yellow line and passing is not permitted for at least 500 feet in any direction. That would not include driveways and such. The story doesn't mention if the pass was legal or illegal.

I think we are comparing apples to tennis balls, sighting the FL law. These guys were going the same direction as the truck, not the opposite direction as the FL law mentions. The article said as the truck turned left, the M/C hit it in the driver's (left) door

In MS if you are following a vehicle it is illegal to pass in the approach to an intersection. Now that being said, The article also says the truck slowed AND turned on his "blinker".

That would kinda make me think, I might not wanna pass him, he may be going to turn...

I think we are comparing apples to tennis balls, sighting the FL law. These guys were going the same direction as the truck, not the opposite direction as the FL law mentions. The article said as the truck turned left, the M/C hit it in the driver's (left) door

In MS if you are following a vehicle it is illegal to pass in the approach to an intersection. Now that being said, The article also says the truck slowed AND turned on his "blinker".

That would kinda make me think, I might not wanna pass him, he may be going to turn...

The law that was quoted includes "vehicles lawfully passing on the left of the turning vehicle".

Stupid trumps the law every time. I this case, he simply committed suicide. I have no idea if he wanted to die or not, but he did make the choice to do so.

We all complain horrendously every time we hear a story about some dumb cage driver turning in front of a rider, but what can you say about a rider who DELIBERATELY chooses to overtake a cage that is both slowing down AND has a legal turn signal on? "Stupid" is the only word that comes to mind for me.

Goose

"Under FL law the truck is at fault, IF is was a legal passing zone. I dont know what WY law is. But here is the FL law that the truck violated: 316.122 Vehicle turning left.--The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, or vehicles lawfully passing on the left of the turning vehicle, which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318."

There is a similar statment in the Ontario Hiway Traffic Act. It does not give right of way to the vehicles turning left. But if splits the fault 50/50. The driver turning left is to ensure that the lane he is crossing is clear. Not only from opposing but also from traffic that is passing. It's just common sence. In this case other bikes passed him already. Harley is not a quiet bike so he had to know they were there. So he is atleast partially at fault for this.

On the other hand the driver of the bike should NEVER pass a vehicle that is signaling. This puts just as much fault on the bike driver as he ignored the signal.

Regardless whether in the right or wrong. We are driving the smaller vehicle. The law does not help anyone who is 6 feet under. We have to use our heads and even if we have the right of way. Sometimes it's better to yeild if it will avoid the accident.

Guest Saddletramp

I think that alot of you are missing the point of this thread. I don't believe it was posted as an outlet for soapbox theatrics about what Mr. Rossmeyer did right or wrong. The fact of the matter is that the motorcycle community has lost a figure of respect and positive ideals. Mr. Rossmeyer was not only a very successful businessman but a very generous one. He was positive figure in the motorcycle world and will be sadly missed by his family and those who were fortunate enough to have known him both personally and professionally. My most humble respects to his survivors.

According to the press release...If I understand it right. Four MC's were already in the opposing lane and performing the pass when the pick-up activated his turn signal and the 5th MC was also in the opposing lane and committed to pass the pick-up then he (MC) had control of that lane and if it was in a legal passing zone then the pick-up was at fault for not yielding. La. Law Just because he activated his turn signal as the MC was passing doesn't give him the right to turn into him.

It should have been a CLUE to the pick-up if five bikes had just passed him to use his mirrors before performing the turn. Then again maybe mirrors are optional in that state, kinda like turn signals are an option in the south.

"Under FL law the truck is at fault, IF is was a legal passing zone. I dont know what WY law is. But here is the FL law that the truck violated: 316.122 Vehicle turning left.--The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, or vehicles lawfully passing on the left of the turning vehicle, which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318."

There is a similar statment in the Ontario Hiway Traffic Act. It does not give right of way to the vehicles turning left. But if splits the fault 50/50. The driver turning left is to ensure that the lane he is crossing is clear. Not only from opposing but also from traffic that is passing. It's just common sence. In this case other bikes passed him already. Harley is not a quiet bike so he had to know they were there. So he is atleast partially at fault for this.

On the other hand the driver of the bike should NEVER pass a vehicle that is signaling. This puts just as much fault on the bike driver as he ignored the signal.

Regardless whether in the right or wrong. We are driving the smaller vehicle. The law does not help anyone who is 6 feet under. We have to use our heads and even if we have the right of way. Sometimes it's better to yeild if it will avoid the accident.

49/51 primary factor is the at fault vehicle...49 % secondary factor in La.

At any rate, he was doing what he wanted to do, and that is ride. He may have been in the wrong or he may have been in the right. The main thing is another motorcyclist has lost his life. His family will never be the same. I have been to Destination Daytona during BikeWeek and was welcomed as if I was a regular customer. Rest In Peace Bruce and hope his family can get over this sometime.

I feel for Bruce's family, my heart goes out to them and his friends.

There is only one rule biker need to ride by in my opinion.

We never have the "right of way", always ride like a little bug that can get squashed at any moment. Because it can happen to anyone, just one carless or I can get by this time, my be your last.

RIP Bruce, many in daytone said he was a great guy, only met him once. But then I don't ride harley's.

Gregg

This can be argued till the cow's come home.

However, if you want to stay alive, let all other vehicals have the right of way, at all times, in all situations, if you are rideing two wheels.

Remember, in a confrontation, the cage Win's!! The biker will almost always comeout the looser. ( If your dead, don't matter who was right )

If you are in a hurry, take the car, leave the bike at home. :doh:

I would hate to be the patrolman investigating. The riders buddies are going to be on his side and the deciding factor for me would be how long before the rider started around was the signal on? On a four lane I would expect the right of way even if someone had their signal on. Just the act of turning on the signal doesn't give them the right to come over in my lane it just signals that he intends to when he gets a chance. Now on a two lane highway if somebody turns on their signal I am not going to go around them.

I think that alot of you are missing the point of this thread. I don't believe it was posted as an outlet for soapbox theatrics about what Mr. Rossmeyer did right or wrong. The fact of the matter is that the motorcycle community has lost a figure of respect and positive ideals. Mr. Rossmeyer was not only a very successful businessman but a very generous one. He was positive figure in the motorcycle world and will be sadly missed by his family and those who were fortunate enough to have known him both personally and professionally. My most humble respects to his survivors.

Well said, it is always sad to see a fellow biker killed. RIP

I think they are both at some fault. The Pickup has to put his signal on in sufficient time to notify people behind and in front of them their intentions but that being said the motorcycles behind him can never rely on that. I try to never pass a vehicle when their is a chance they could turn left on a rural road I ll wait until he passes the road or driveway. Now the pickup slowed for a reason thats called a "clue" why is the pickup slowing is there something in front of him or is lost or is he about to turn. I'm not taking the chance of passing when he slowed for some reason until I can figure out what it is. The guy is driving a camper is gonna have a hard time seeing behind like a Semi would he has to be careful and like wise people near him have to be careful.

Edited by CrazyHorse