IGNORED

Front wheel rotor stainless covers. Which is right? Which is left?

I removed the front wheel and brake rotors to send it out for a tire replacement.

I didnt keep track of which side the chrome rotor covers came off of. I now discovered that one is weighted and the other isn't. Which side does the weighted one go on? I looked on South Seatle Yamahas part site and it appears to me it is the right hand side. Is this rught?

What is the weight for anyways? As usual any and all help is greatly appreciated. Jim

:doh:

The weighted one goes on the right side. The damper stops the rotor from ringing somehow. I took mine off once and got this loud resonating pitch every time I touched the front brakes. It did it every single time until I put the thing back on. Why only one side is needed and not the other is more than I understand.

Edited by pegscraper
misspelling

• 3 years later...

I took mine off a couple of years ago and woudn't dream of putting them back on. I think that the rotors look lots better than that flat piece of chrome. And I don't hear any noise using the front brakes.

There might be a pic of mine in my pics, haven't looked.

Just my opinion.

I've seen a few RS (2nd gen) pics without the front ss rotors covers. How many people have removed them and kept them off?

Mine were off when I bought it. No noise or problems and I think it looks better without them.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/C-M_Motorsports/Forum%20Use/029.jpg