Guest fattboy

Guest fattboy

Greetings.......have A Question To THROW Out There....

I Have An 06 Venture...with About 8k On It And It's Tire Buying Time....

Looking For Any And All Recomendations On Tire Brands And Types...looking For Something That Will Get 10 To 12k If That Is Possible....

Thanks

Fattboy

Greetings.......have A Question To THROW Out There....

I Have An 06 Venture...with About 8k On It And It's Tire Buying Time....

Looking For Any And All Recomendations On Tire Brands And Types...looking For Something That Will Get 10 To 12k If That Is Possible....

Thanks

Fattboy

AVON VENOM'S IS THE WAY TO GO.

Michelin Commanders is the way to go. :)

Obviously you will get differing opinions on tires. The fact is, most of the members here prefer the Avons or the Michelins though we have a few Dunlop fans also. In my opinion, you will likely get more miles out of the Michelins and they have very good traction in various road conditions. The downside is that they ARE a bit noisy in the curves. I think that the Avons are quieter but probably won't wear as well.

Michelin Commanders is the way to go. :)

Obviously you will get differing opinions on tires. The fact is, most of the members here prefer the Avons or the Michelins though we have a few Dunlop fans also. In my opinion, you will likely get more miles out of the Michelins and they have very good traction in various road conditions. The downside is that they ARE a bit noisy in the curves. I think that the Avons are quieter but probably won't wear as well.

Don, so how many miles are you getting our of the Michelins?

Both of my rear Avons, each between 14000 and 15000 mainly two up, and I just put a new front Avon with the new rear Avon. So for the front, about 30,000.

:)

I am buying tires this winter and I will most likely stick with the same setup as I've had for the past two years. They rode very well and looked great. I am using Dunlop 404 Wide White Walls. This set lasted for about 14k miles and there is still good tread on the front. The rear tire is just hitting the wear indicators. I had planned to replace them next the spring. However, last weekend I tore a gash in the sidewall of the rear tire so now I really have to buy new tires. I just priced Dunlop's at Southwest Moto Tires (http://www.swmototires.com/). I may just buy from them this winter.

Dunlop D404 150/80HB-16 Wide Whitewall Front $98.95

Dunlop D404 150/90HB-15 Wide White Wall Rear $92.95

Very good prices compared to my local Yamaha dealer.

Don, so how many miles are you getting our of the Michelins?

Both of my rear Avons, each between 14000 and 15000 mainly two up, and I just put a new front Avon with the new rear Avon. So for the front, about 30,000.

:)

That is probably about the same mileage I got out of my rear Michelin. The front is still going strong. I'm surprised that you got that many out of the Avon. Most have not reported anywhere close to that. I'm happy for you though and may well try them in the Spring when I put on new tires. I am very happy with the Michelin but can't offer an honest comparison unless I have tried them both.

On my 05, the stock Brickstones were HORRIBLE and the rear was toast in 8,000 miles. I experimented with Avon Venoms and the MT90 front tire and was very impressed with how much this improved the handling with stock suspension links. After I added the shorter links to raise the rear, I did not like the MT90 and went back to 150/80 in front. I have gotten at least 14,000 out of each Venom rear tire.

I just picked up an 07 RSV with stock suspension and almost new Avon Venoms in stock size. I can tell you that the handling is excellent. I now believe that there is no reason to go to the narrower front tire, even with stock suspension links, if you run Avon Venom tires. The improvement over the stock Brickstones is nothing short of phenomenal. When my 05 was new, with perfect new Brickstone tires, the slow speed handling was miserable. This 07 with stock size Avon tires has wonderful slow speed handling. No other differences between the bikes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I am running the Avon's and got 15,500miles on the rear and still running the front. Love the way they handle in EVERY condition Rain, road grooves, Bridges, SNOW :rotf:, whoops not snow:whistling:

I do like them alot.

That is probably about the same mileage I got out of my rear Michelin. The front is still going strong. I'm surprised that you got that many out of the Avon. Most have not reported anywhere close to that. I'm happy for you though and may well try them in the Spring when I put on new tires. I am very happy with the Michelin but can't offer an honest comparison unless I have tried them both.

Ive run most major brands over the years and have found avon venom with the best milage for me. I get from 22,000 to 26,000 front and rear. You can get them at the price around 100. for front 112. for rear. My tires seem to wear even because I only use the front brake.

Guest Boomerbiker

Lots of opionions to sort. Almost like reading all the yapping about the Gen 1 versus Gen 2. Anyway, as most have indicated the stock Bridgestones are noisy and just plain j-u-n-k. I ran Dunlop 404's for a while but on the new '06 I had Avons installed at time of purchase. Nine thousand miles on them and they still look like new. I do run the smaller front tire.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fattboy

Thanks For All The Input On Tire Buying.....the Stock Tires Were The Dunlop 404s The Front Was Shot And The Rear Had Maybe Another Grand Or Two Left In It....but Being The Venture Is So Heavy Figured I Woulden't Chance It....ended Up Getting The Dunlops 491 Elite 2s...so Will See....will Look At The Avons Next Go Around....my Ventue Handles Like A Tank At Slow Speds....

Love The Bike...just Wish It Was Lighter....

Thanks Again...

Fatt Boy Over And Out...

Lake City Fl....

• 1 year later...