IGNORED

Getting dizzy reading about mesh jackets.

Snaggletooth

Ok, summer is here. It hit 80 today. I bought a Scorpion textile jacket last fall and it does it's job well. I rode in temps down to 12 degrees with the liner in and it was warm enough at that temp. Take the liner out when it is between 40 and 70 degree range and that is great.

But today........80! Not good!

Been looking for a mesh jacket for a while for the upcoming hot days and there are a lot to choose from. Everytime I find something I think I would like it's not available in my size or sold out. I watch Motorcyclegear on a daily basis. I just want something that breathes and offers a fair amount of protection. Don't really need a rain liner as I carry a rain suit in the bag at all times.

So I'm going to ask what are your comments on what you wear. That might help me narrow my search down a bit.

Mike

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0

I bought it from New Enough a while back. It has a zip out liner that I just leave out all the time. I can't compare it to anything else though, but it has plenty of air flow. It also have armor in the elbows and shoulders. It also came with a armor plate for the back, but I removed it.

I have a shift full mesh jacket white and a little black in color and it is really nice when its 80s and warmer. I also have an olympia air glide2 jacket silver in color it is pretty good when it gets above 80 but not as cool as the shift jacket. The olympia gets used 90% of the time. Hope this helps some.

Richie R

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0

I bought it from New Enough a while back. It has a zip out liner that I just leave out all the time. I can't compare it to anything else though, but it has plenty of air flow. It also have armor in the elbows and shoulders. It also came with a armor plate for the back, but I removed it.

Second this.

From everything I have heard about mesh jackets, it boils down to "pick the Joe Rocket that fits best".

To improve on them involves spending more money than I normally spend to buy a motorcycle.

I have a Teknic mesh jacket, it's comfortable, elbow, shoulder & back armor it looks like it would take a good slide across the pavement (:fingers-crossed-emo that I never need to test it) I caught it on a closeout sale at Motorcyclegear.com for $49 Just watch the banners for their link and look at the closeouts and bargain basement sales.

I have a Tourmaster ,intake air series 2 mesh/with armour and two zip in liners 1 rain,1 insulated,. In my opinion a very nice jacket!:cool10:

I think I have the same Tour Master Jacket - Transition Series II. I love it but have not used it in hot temps yet.

Do you have windshield vents? Maybe that could help?

Hubby has this one...and loves it.

He chuckles when ppl say he looks just like Batman or Ironman when he wears it. He says it breathes really well on the hot Georgia days we have here lately.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Icon-TiMAX-Jacket-X-Small-Black/dp/B001A3LFAU]Amazon.com: Icon TiMAX 2 Jacket - X-Small/Black: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31OZOHNFpcL.@@AMEPARAM@@31OZOHNFpcL[/ame]

We rode up to Omaha,over to CB, 275 out to Glenwood, thru Plattsmouth and back down to Lincoln. About 175 miles...one of the best days we might get in Nebraska. Not a lot of wind gets to me on this bike. I see lots of tshirt days in my future. Made me miss the Vmax a little... Right up to the moment I set the cruise :-)

Anyway not much of a fan of the mesh stuff but Joe Rocket makes a great product in my book. But don't put too much stock in what I say because I was in a tshirt and shorts today. Was it the safest gear? No! But damn if I wasn't comfy.

Frank

Second this.

From everything I have heard about mesh jackets, it boils down to "pick the Joe Rocket that fits best".

To improve on them involves spending more money than I normally spend to buy a motorcycle.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

Tourmaster...

Chest area was a little warm until I discovered all those useless pockets that cover the entire chest area on the inside of my jacket. Took my wifes seam ripper and took them out. Jacket can breathe now like its suppose to... :smash2:

After all I wanted a "Mesh" jacket not a "pocket" jacket!

Edited by CaptainJoe

Which Scorpion jacket do you have? We have the Hat Trick which has two removable liners, leaving the mesh outer jacket, with armor. We really like them, when I got them they were available Blue/Black and that's what we got. Looks like they are now only available in two different black designs.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/10927/ITEM/Scorpion-Hat-Trick-Jacket.aspx

Yah! Another Joe Rocket fan here! The main thing is do NOT buy any jacket in Black and expect it not to be warm! That's my only complaint about my jacket. I have one of those that the liner is removeable and the shell unzips leaving a mesh jacket for hot temps. Wish it was a light color. Of course in lower temps when the sun shines it makes it warmer being black...

I think I have the same Tour Master Jacket - Transition Series II. I love it but have not used it in hot temps yet.

Do you have windshield vents? Maybe that could help?

I have the same textile jacket. You'll find that in temps above low to mid 70's it gets a to warm even with the liner out and vents open. It's a great cold weather jacket, down to the upper 20's before you need to put the liner in. Good in the rain too.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm i have the olympia mj149z neon yellow mesh and it not only works as a nice riding jacket it also helps people to see me which is a good thing. i know its a little loud for some but i need all the help i can get.mine is the old style with a quilted linner which acts as a rain linner but a little warm on a summers rain but the new ones have a quilted linner for cool days and a seperate rain linner.the pads are nice and fairly easy to take out and wash. still a little warm for my liking on a hot summer day but i like the vis it gives me. i'm think of getting another riding jacket thats cooler.

While these jackets / pants may be a little pricey for some, personally I think they may be the best on the market. http://www.motoport.com/Home

If anything, this company share a very interesting article on "saving your hide" - and the different types of material available. - http://www.motoport.com/save-your-hide

:080402gudl_prv: - like a seat, I might think there may be a lot of varying opinions based upon personal taste - and budget.

I have a Tourmaster ,intake air series 2 mesh/with armour and two zip in liners 1 rain,1 insulated,. In my opinion a very nice jacket!:cool10:

+1 on the Intake Air!!! :)

Tourmaster...

Chest area was a little warm until I discovered all those useless pockets that cover the entire chest area on the inside of my jacket. Took my wifes seam ripper and took them out. Jacket can breathe now like its suppose to... :smash2:

After all I wanted a "Mesh" jacket not a "pocket" jacket!

Useless pockets, huh??? :confused07:

you may have something there, gotta take a look... :cool10:

Which Scorpion jacket do you have?

I picked up a Scorpion Strike from New Enough when they listed them for $74.00. It is a great jacket for all round weather with the zip out thermal liner and seems to hold off water pretty well. But behind the fairing of a 1st gen you just don't get all that wet anyway, as long as you're moving.

So with three seasons covered.......a mesh for summer should do the trick.

Sounds like Joe Rocket is the popular brand so far. I'll take another look at their stuff.

Mike

Ive got the Joe Rocket mesh with the waterproof liner from Motorcycle gear about 3 years ago and I like it a lot. I did take the back armour out tho as I found it hot and very bulky. I would advise buying one size bigger than you normally wear as i find Joe Rocket seems to fit a bit smaller than most.

Brian

• 3 months later...

Second this.

I bought a textile jacket last summer thinking it would be cooler but what I found was that the material was so tightly woven that there was no airflow. Even with the vents open on the jacket it was still too hot.

Picked up the Tourmaster a couple weeks ago and find it very comfortable and well made. Rode thru a downpour on the way back from the WNY rally and with the mesh outer and rain inner I stayed dry.

Nice thing is one jacket with two liners means you don't have to carry multiple jackets while touring. The liners don't take much space and even on hot days with the mesh outer I found that there was enough air flow to stay cool.

One comment though.... how the liners zip in and fasten with loops and snaps makes sense and is easy to do... but make sure you put them in/out before having to do it in a hurry. First time can be a bit confusing.

I would love to have a mesh jacket but most are at LEAST $150 and I won't pay that for a jacket. No way. Remember, I live in Canada. It's rare to see anything motorcycle related even slightly reasonably priced here. :(

I have a Joe Rocket jacket that is sorta mesh but it's way too warm in the summer for me.

I'm in t-shirt and shorts most days these days with my ivory colored leather vest over top and sneakers. Safe? Nope. Tolerable and not dying of the heat? Yup.