United States
    UT
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1986 venture inspection for newby

Good to know. I donít NEED it right now, just mine are cracked and seeping. Wanted to have new on hand and replace it when I do a valve check.

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2nd gen gaskets will fit fine on the 1st gens. The second gen gaskets have a little more width to give you something to grab during installation. The extra width also makes them a bit less floppy so they are easier to get in position.
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

3. Likes suds, Dano liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you got yourself lots of good info Caledon,, only thing is that we can't comment on the dealer you are going to because you haven't told us who that might be,, but that's ok.
    Gonna miss all you guys and gals
    at the

Rally @ T h e S h o r e s
    July 16-19th 2020

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    Looks like you got yourself lots of good info Caledon,, only thing is that we can't comment on the dealer you are going to because you haven't told us who that might be,, but that's ok.
    Thanks for all the input so far everyone. I have had a quick look at it yesterday and it is an 86 Standard so no CLASS air, no radio/cassette, no CB, no cruise control, no mirror in the trunk. It looks like its in pretty good shape - the plastics are in good shape as are the windshield, seat, saddlebags and trunk. the front tire still has the little rubber hairs of a new tire on it, the front plastic emblem on the fender was hit and loose so it will need an adhesive to reattach it to the front. the oil sight glass was black and when vertical remained black - so needs oil change and inspection. I told the dealer I had a checklist from this forum and i took all the items to check on this forum I have found so far and sent them in an email to the dealer who will tell me what they will cover off in their inspection and if any would be outside that. the exhaust looks solid, there is some white oxidation on the sides of the engine on the chrome and or aluminum parts.

There is a dry orange coloured stain running down the valley of the cyclinder head on the kickstand side of the bike - could this be from rain/rust could this be a leak of some kind ?

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A dry orange stain could be a gas leak, It may indicate carb issues, Carb issues are common IF the bike has not run in a long while. either way it does require further investigation.

Just cuz tires look new, check the date code on the tire, even a new looking tire can be old enough to need replacing, 7 years old should be replaced regardless of how good they look.
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

7. Likes Dano liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Not That Guy View Post
    Depends on the year. I searched for and found a 1300 non Royale, 86 that I'm still overhauling/ refreshening.
    I believe in its twighlight years there was only Royales.
    Just make sure the plastics are not broken- especially the tabs on the front halves.
    I was impressed with the performance of this 101k km bike. Its narrow at the pegs, love that.
    If it has the radio/electronics on either side of the fairings its a Royale.
    I didn't want all that old tech and up high weight anyway
    I have a Standard and it did actually have a stock stereo complete with the lovely tape deck, in it. but the CB, cruise and self leveling system are just for the Royale

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uthred View Post
    I have a Standard and it did actually have a stock stereo complete with the lovely tape deck, in it. but the CB, cruise and self leveling system are just for the Royale
    These days we have cell phones, GPS and satellite radio so those type of things may have to find a home...

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: 1986 venture inspection for newby

[QUOTE=saddlebum;1079227]Hi CALEDON will stand up very well to less than ideal riding conditions like getting onto some off road tracks (not that you want to make a habit of it). QUOTE]

Is that a reference to me wanting to ride Redbud up in Michigan when we stopped by there back in 2010 on our VR ride out of Potato Creek Int'l Rally? !!!
    I'd rather be riding my bike than dealing with reality!
    Find me a road with a little twist and some sunshine and watch me smile

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Dano;1081009]
    Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    Hi CALEDON will stand up very well to less than ideal riding conditions like getting onto some off road tracks (not that you want to make a habit of it). QUOTE]

Is that a reference to me wanting to ride Redbud up in Michigan when we stopped by there back in 2010 on our VR ride out of Potato Creek Int'l Rally? !!!
    Actually I was thinking more of the time when Trader and I took a shortcut according to Garmin from the hotel where the Galena event was being held to the campground we were staying at and ended up on a cow path through the bush with lots of roots, ruts and washouts, going through it, which dead ended at a railroad track and we had to turn around and backtrack about a mile through the same stuff back again. We literally were literally off roading It reminded me of my motocrossing days. But our ventures took it all in stride.
    Last edited by saddlebum; 06-27-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12