Well I should say what did I do to my Venture over the last month (with alot of help from Marcarl and Saddlebum). As you may know I bought 3 1986 Ventures and was happy to ride for the beginning of the Summer. I noticed a problem with a miss on one of the cylinders so I took the bike to Marcarl and got the news that one of the exhaust ports was not working and air was leaking. So I brought another of the bikes to him and found out that the transmission was done. So he and Saddlebum did the right thing and told me to scrap these and buy a new bike:crying:. I stated that I like this bike and would like to fix it. So the engines came out of both bikes and we swapped the good transmission to the good engine. The rest went out.
That was all buttoned back up after a week of waiting for the gaskets to arrive, and then another week for the gaskets that we forgot to order when we ordered the first gaskets. Got the bottom half of the engine all done and then they told me we should do the service on the valves because they have probably never been done since leaving the factory, so valves are now serviced.
And covered up after much swearing:bang head: and head banging.
Then it was trying to get the engine back in the bike, not quite as easy as you would think, but after a few tries with the engine on a floor jack we decided to try a motorcycle jack, which actually worked when the bike was tilted out of the way and then over top of the engine.
Pumkin back in and rear wheel on, it's starting to look like a motorcycle again
Then came the fun stuff like finding out only one of the brakes were working, we discovered that someone had tried to delink the brakes bysealing the hose on the back master cylinder but did not attach the left front brake line to anything. The back caliper was seized so that was pulled off the third bike. Then the rear master cylinder was deemed to be "crap" by my instructor Marcarl, so that also came off the third bike.
The bike is all back together now and yes it does run and shift and ride. I went for a 2 hour ride this afternoon and nothing fell off, so I guess we did an adequate job.