IGNORED

I'm considering a '99 Royal Star Venture, help me out.

luvmy40

So, I've been looking for a Gen1, MK2 in good condition for a while now. There is one for sale from a member here that looks promising but were are quite a ways away from each other and the logistics make it difficult at best.

In my searching I found a 1999 RSV that looks to be in good shape, pretty close by. The seller says "Runs good, rear shock is blown and the paint is a little faded".

I know the shock is fixable but what is the PITA factor to get it off the bike?

Is there anything specific to watch out for on the 1999?

I really do want a MK2 but at $1800.00 the '99 may be hard to pass up.

Help me out here. :fingers-crossed-emo

79540 miles on the odometer in the picture. And it looks like a spot of rust cancer on the front fender. The leading edge of the passenger seat is a little rugged as well.

ETA: It's actually the top of a small driver's back rest that is torn up a bit, after a second look.

79540 miles on the odometer in the picture. And it looks like a spot of rust cancer on the front fender. The leading edge of the passenger seat is a little rugged as well.

ETA: It's actually the top of a small driver's back rest that is torn up a bit, after a second look.

Believe it or not with the issues you've stated..... I'd pass. I picked up my '04RSMV two years ago for $3,000 and it's perfect. 65K and on synthetics since new. I also picked up my '99RSV six years ago for $4,000 with a new rear factory shock. Also perfect... By the time you fix this one up you're getting close to the '04... and that's if there aren't more issues.

I'd pass also. I bought my very nice 07 RSV last year from the original owner with 23k miles on it for $3,000. Admittedly, that was a lot less than it should have sold for. My personal philosophy is to pay more for one in good condition. 5 years ago, I bought my 89 Venture that is in pristine condition with under 6k miles on it for $3800.

Shock aint that hard, but you need a lift. The 2nd Gen I would say ignition switch contact burns, pretty easy to keep that from happening I have a fix. Also the fuel pumps have been known to crap out, but that is hit and miss.

99's and 2000's have had problems with the trunk mounting brackets cracking the trunk plastic. There is an eco kit that provides some reinforcing pieces that can be installed on the early gen2 trunks. I think there was also an issue with the early antenna's. I expect Don may recall exactly.

I'm still undecided. I really have many options right now all depending on available funds.(I'm liquidating part of my gun collection to fund a "new" bike.) I have found several good looking project base bikes, including a Gen1 MK2. There are a few running MK2s that are more than 3 hrs away and the best looking ones are 8-12 hours away. The only Venture in my price range any closer is the '99.

I originally went into this specifically to get a MK2. Some of the other options are looking like fun right now, one of which is a bobbed '88 Harley 883 Sportser. Another is a 2008 BMW R1200C, though that one may be just a little out of my budget right now.

Well, I'm off to the gun show in Berea to see if I can make my fortune! Wish me luck.

ETA:

I did forget about the ed MK2 in Berea with the busted fairings but otherwise looks great. It did have a bit of oil shmootz at the cam cover on Cyl 2. Probably needs the valves done anyway.

99's and 2000's have had problems with the trunk mounting brackets cracking the trunk plastic. There is an eco kit that provides some reinforcing pieces that can be installed on the early gen2 trunks. I think there was also an issue with the early antenna's. I expect Don may recall exactly.

That is exactly right. The '99 antennas were bad. They were upgraded with the 2000 model. Easy to swap them for Firestiks or something else though. The problem was that they would get slightly loose on the post and could actually be pulled off. That wasn't good but the main issue it caused was was corrosion between the post and the antenna and caused bad reception if any reception at all.

Yamaha came out with a kit to reinforce the trunk. You need to pull the rubber pad up in the trunk to find out if it has been installed. Basically it's just a some large washers that help distribute the weight and a thick rubber pad that goes under the trunk, at the very rear, between the chrome trunk support and the bottom of the trunk. I don't know if they kits are still available or not but should be pretty easy to make one. The main thing is to make sure the trunk bottom isn't already cracked.

From my experience with the MKII, if you have the legs to manage it, it is a sweet distance runner and you can really pack for two up.

I especially liked her manners when dipping a shoulder and pointing a knee, or pushing hard off the pegs, also that she showed quick good balance standing after a hookthru...

On the open road I liked her tall long feel, hard to find a big touring that will tack off a beam wind like she does too, maybe strange to see from the rear but she does it well and its not tiring.

The trap is as with all these stored bikes is working out the kinks; wiring connections, jets, sagging spring and good rubber not budget carp...

Then the linking question........ yikes.... I really enjoyed the linked brakes

Patch

Well, I'm at my sister's place in Lodi waiting for a text to go look at the 99. I am scheduled to look at an '86 at 6:30 about 45 minutes further south.

Steven, the first thing I'll likely do to the '86 if I get it is to delink the brakes!

Different strokes and all that, don't cha know.

For long distance riding, especially into the vast high wind area's of the west, my experience with the Fork Mounted Fairings vs Frame Mounted Fairings vs no shield touring on a Chopper for 2 up touring has been:

The frame mounted fairing on my MK1's proved a LOT more stable and easier on the shoulders in cross winds (like well known in Wyoming/Montana/Utah open prairies) hit me/us. Fork mounted bat wings worked ok but were tiring after a long day of battering in constant cross winds from the constant motor muscles seeking to respond and correct where the full fairings would allow for a no feeling of change in the front end feel as the fairing delivered all the "push" directly to the frame of the bike. Long bike "open" riding was by far the most comfortable for one upping it but be it known that there were times that even after a few hours of sleep, my skin was still tingling:big-grin-emoticon: (ohhhh to be young again).

Another matter of interest concerning the full fairing scoots in my experience is the comfort for the passenger that the side covers provide in keeping heat off their lower extremeties - especially when those constant and variable cross winds are doing all they can to knock the bike and its riders off the road.

Of course,, none of this would apply if we were talking about riding a 350 Honda Motosport cross country,, now that was brutal!!

Looks wise,, bar none there is nothing purdier than an old school Amen framed, 18 over California Springered 750 SOHC Chop in all its glory, seconded by a fork mounted fairing bagger and nothing uglier than a fairing mounted scoot,,, IMHO.. :think:Maybe others agree with me and that is why not even the British would take the old tour glides (currently known as Road Glide) when we were shipping HD's off shore a few years back:stickpoke:

Gotta totally agree with the frame mount 1stGens Puc, Got caught in 65mph cross wind gusts up on Wyoming 33 north of I-80. Plowed right thru it with the '83VR. I can only imagine what it would have been like on the RSV... :yikes:

I never got the text to see the '99. That's OK though, The '86 that I went south to see turned out to be the Holy Grail. I'll start a new thread with pics of my "new" Gen1, MK2.

:clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool:!! Decided to go with the faster one did ya? :Laugh:

Can't wait to see it Rich!!:thumbsup2:

I never got the text to see the '99. That's OK though, The '86 that I went south to see turned out to be the Holy Grail. I'll start a new thread with pics of my "new" Gen1, MK2.

Congrats. You are the owner of the finest revision of the finest Jap tour bike ever produced!

You will be pulling G units like you never felt possible before!

Just remember the fighter jet pilots maneuver to stay-off blackouts; just strain like you were straining to move a stubborn bowel. Bring extra clothes.:Bunny2: