IGNORED

2008 Royal Star Venture - Head Lights

Kozubek

Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 Venture that is in need of a headlight improvement. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade? This is my first touring bike and the lights are horrible for night riding. Also, is there anything you can do about the spiderweb effect on the windscreen at night or should I cut the screen so I can peek over if needed?

thanks

Tom

Thanks for the reply Friesman. I tried Pledge without much of a difference. It is all but impossible to see at night in the rain. I ordered some Plexus cleaner to try, if that does not do anything I will go ahead and repalce it.

RE: the headlight. You can go all in and get an HID replacement. Requires some wiring, a (preferably time delay) relay, and some mounting of pieces/parts. Or, you can install a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Much better than stock but not quite as bright as HID.

Either will require splitting the faring unless you have the tiny hands of an 8 year old Pakistani carpet maker.

RR

RE: the headlight. You can go all in and get an HID replacement. Requires some wiring, a (preferably time delay) relay, and some mounting of pieces/parts. Or, you can install a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Much better than stock but not quite as bright as HID.

Either will require splitting the faring unless you have the tiny hands of an 8 year old Pakistani carpet maker.

RR

There are also LED options out there that will also work - and they will lower your amp draw.

RR

LOL, I will keep that in mind. Thanks

Very scary to ride without being able to see in front of you. I replaced my stock screen with a much shorter tinted one. It looks good and now I can see in front of me in rain and fog. Regarding the headlights be very careful what you do so it doesn't damage the bikes electrics.

Tweeks is an 83 with a fair amount of ride time on her and she still has the stock original shield. This has only been possible by using Plast-x (found very inexpensive at Walmart). I have tried many many methods of spiderweb/scratch/haze removal throughout the years and, bar none, Plex-x has been the best of the best..

By the way, Plast-x also comes in "kit" form with buffer and all that = more expensive. Buy the cheap refill squirt bottle, apply in small swirls with clean left over kitchen towel, remove with clean kitchen towel BEFORE it drys on shield (opposite of wax). Takes a little elbow grease but this stuff works awesome!!

Now that I think about it, if I remember correctly, I think @Eagle Eye and I played with a scratch on his shield a little bit while he was visiting us.. Maybe he will chime in about his perspective of this stuff..

I am an off the wall experimenter and have also found I can safely use Rain-x on my old shield because of my use of Plast-x (Plast-x easily removes any fogging associated with Rain-x) BUT - my shield has NO original thin plastic coating on it and I would advise testing the Rain-x in a small area should you decide to try using Rain-x after using Plast-x too!!

Hope this helps!

Puc

Oh, by the way, like Tanker, I too LOVE riding with a cut down shield. If you cut it down to where the air flow is just clearing the top of your head you should end up with a good four inches of view over your windshield - PERFECT FOR RIDING SINGLE BUT TERRIBLE IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE A PASSENGER - especially if caught in or rain or hail!!!

There are also LED options out there that will also work - and they will lower your amp draw.

Here is what I did to convert healdlamp and passing lights to LED. The technology has evolved since I did this so the lamp output would now be increased.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?85189-CREE-LED-H4-Headlight-Installation

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?84450-Conversion-to-LED-Passing-Lamps

Hope this helps....

I prefer to look over the shield so I cut mine down. Even if you get rid of the scratches, the very first big bug will hit directly in your line of site.

I've been useing the Silver Star bulbs for years. Much improvement over stock.

I agree 100% on both counts.

Cut down your shield so it's just below your eye-line. (For me, that means it measures 12.75 inches up from the top of the chrome trim out front.)

And the Sylvania Silver Star is ample for all but the highest speed (over limit) night driving.

You didn't mention if you have passing lamps....but if you don't, get 'em.

Good luck!

By the way, Plast-x also comes in "kit" form with buffer and all that = more expensive. Buy the cheap refill squirt bottle, apply in small swirls with clean left over kitchen towel, remove with clean kitchen towel BEFORE it drys on shield (opposite of wax). Takes a little elbow grease but this stuff works awesome!!

Do you suppose that's anything like the stuff they put in their plastic headlight lens "restoration" kit? (It didn't work on the BMW headlights.....but.....maybe on the Venture shield???) Comments?

I was recently forced to replace my headlamp bulb. I installed a Silver Star and am pleased with the improved performance. Even happier I was able to install without splitting the fairing. Not as difficult as I envisioned after reading here it was near impossible. On the same day, I replaced a headlamp bulb on my Kia Soul that can't be done without removing the assembly. Most insist the bumper cover must be removed first, some say it can be done without. I will attest it can be done without removing the bumper cover. In both cases I'm thankful for being part of the appropriate forums, that are so helpful with tips and tricks. I thank you all, from you I have learned much.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I bought the McGuires kit which I will use after I get back from the Poker Run this weekend. I also bought a can of Plexus to keep it clean. Now if Tropical Bill would hurry up and leave Oklahoma I can get out and ride.

Short of modifications, have you tried, the Higher Lumen, bulbs, which are aviable at auto parts stores.

Sylvania, has 2 upgrades. over the stock bulb. Not a huge improvement, but better then nothing.

Get the most expensive Sylvania bulb, They are better then the stock bulb.

However, if you do a lot of night driving, then add some driving lights !! as said in above posts. !!!

IF you add lights, be SURE, to Power them thru """ ADDED RELAYS, TO POWER THE NEW LIGHTS """

DO NOT, just wire them onto the Existing Circuits !!!!! If you need advice on how to do this, many here will be glad to help !!

Mine's been in for a year or more, Hubert........but, I would guess it's an "hours of actual use" thing, so on THAT basis, my longevity may not count for much.

Does Sylvania not provide a life expectancy in hours of operation? I can't imagine the application (in the Venture, as opposed to any OTHER vehicle) puts undue strain on the lamp......so 6 -7 months would almost be "grounds" for a freebee replacement, wouldn't it?

I bought these off Amazon last night. I will be riding everyday it doesn't storm (which in Oklahoma is a crap shoot these days), so we will see if they last.

SYLVANIA 9003 (also fits H4) SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2)