IGNORED

Conversion to LED Passing Lamps

Well, temperatures finally got above freezing today so I could start my LED conversion project. Here is how it went:

Will load pics in the same order (hopefully it will work)

1. Here are the Truck Lite 4.5 LED Lamps I installed

82233.jpg

2. Here is how they look next to the PAR 36 -front

82234.jpg

3. And back.

82235.jpg

4. Now to fit them in the bucket is tricky as they barely fit due to the thickness of the bottom back of the new lamps. They end up pressing against the stud inside the lamp bucket and then attaching the retaining ring becomes a game of patience as you have to press hard against the lamp, align the spacer behind the lamp, align the hood on the lamp and then tighten the screw at the bottom. Took me a couple of tries to get there and was about to enlist a few extra pairs of hands, but it came together.

82236.jpg

5. They come with a stock HD connector. I cut it off and replaced with male/female connectors and heat shrunk everything, used dielectric grease and made my connections.

82237.jpg

6. Here is how bike looked before I started

82238.jpg

7. With one done

82239.jpg

8. and with both done. Headlight now looks a bit dim.

82240.jpg

Took about an hour to do, but last 15 minutes of that was spent starting the bike and breathing in the fumes for the first time since November. :Laugh:

Headlight conversion to LED is next, but I have to split the fairing for that and remove the tank as I will also be installing the 3 way switch as I had enquired about in a number of previous posts.

Thanks to all who provided advice on this one.:cool10::canada:

Edited by Freebird

On the second gen the LED headlight is a major project. The lens is glued into the bucket and is not a seperate piece. It can be done and there is a write up on it around here someplace. Most of us have just opted for the HID.

I have the HID headlight from Canadian Cruiser Custom installed. It is going on year 3 of great service. It lights up the road/sides of road so well that I never use the High Beam at night as it will totally blind on-coming drivers.

Boomer....who sez if it wuz legal he would jacklight deer with his Venture...:whistling:

Splitting the faring is no big deal after a couple of times. Of course I dont know how much work area you have either, and working outside I would guess is a no go.

Oh I know. I have already split it 5 or 6 times. Just have a number of wirring projects to do in there that will take a couple of day's to complete so I want to do them all at the same time and only split it once.

It a bit warmer this weekend but still cold enough in garage that plastic is brittle so will wait for things to warm up more.

:snow2:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Bert, did you ever get the LED headlamp installed, and if so how does it work?

Yes I did. Works fine. Low beam is very strong but high beam not so much. Same issue as when installing HID's as the reflectors are not designed for LED's. Do get noticed better by cagers though.

:canada:

Yes I did. Works fine. Low beam is very strong but high beam not so much. Same issue as when installing HID's as the reflectors are not designed for LED's. Do get noticed better by cagers though.

:canada:

Also installed the Cree kit, although, I bought the 2400 lumen(I think!) as they were out of the 1800 lumen. Easy install and definite difference in low/high beam! As I've previously stated, I cannot recommend the company, http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/ , because of unresolved warranty issues.