IGNORED

Another rider down...

924gtr

This time it's me. My passenger wife and I whacked a deer broadside at 55mph on Tuesday eve. My wife walked away and I got hauled in the ambulance on a backboard. A little roadrash on my hands and arms. Textile is NOT as good as leather. Helmets DO work. The worst of my injuries is that my back is sprained. CT scan showed no new injuries, just aggrivated old injuries.

I firmly believe that the bike saved our lives. The rails did their job. We didn't get trapped on the bike.

The deer sort of exploded.

-- Rick

Sure glad you guys are ok....dang what a scare that must have been!

I'll second that Rick.....This is happening way too often...They need to start extending these hunting seasons.....I know I would buy a larger freezer to keep more venison....:happy34:

And for the people that like to shoot their guns,but not eat the meat,that would be more venison for the food pantry's..I see it as a win-win.....And we would really make Ted Nugent proud......:clap2:

Thanks again for all the well wishes.

I'm totally bummed out about the bike. I don't know yet whether the insurance company will call it a total or not. I've seen bikes on those auction house web sites that sell salvage bikes that aren't nearly as wiped as mine is. I'm afraid it's a goner.

I'm really sad because I had just recently gotten it where it was truly "MY" bike. I plugged the AIS and did the Jason mod. Which by the way I have to recommend doing both of those things. I had my Kuryakyn longhorn hiway pegs adjusted just right. Kuryakyn iso grips and a Ram mount for the GPS. The Utopia backrest was just right. It was GLORIOUS! In a sea of HDs it shone like a beacon from heaven.

That wasn't all so bad, though. After we got home from the ER, I took stock in what was left. Lying in bed I cried like a baby. I could have lost my wife. My loving life partner for the last 28 years could have been taken from me by a hoofed rat. I'll never miss a chance to tell her I love her.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

-- Rick

Paraphrasing the movie "The Replacements"... Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever!

Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad to hear you came out of it so well!

I like my textile to be either kevlar or kevlar lined. It makes a world of difference.

Good luck finding a replacement bike. There's bound to be one out there waiting on you.

The survivor's motto: It don't hurt till the bone shows.

Ouch. We ride near Red Wing often. Those deer are quick buggers.

Glad your both in one piece. Why don't you drive up to the Pork in the Pines in your car and visit, relax and recover a bit.

We're doing a pig roast and there's free camping on site.

Glad to here you and your wife are ok!

Hittting a animal on a bike is a very scary :shock3:thing to go through.When you are lucky enough to walk away it can really open your eyes to what you could have been missing.

I hit a wild hog back on June 21st.Luckily one up.It was like hitting a short concrete wall.Call kids and grandkids almost everyday now.

Get Well-Ride Soon

KILOWATT-1

PIGS-0

BIKE REPLACABLE

Glad you all are O.K. The NAVIGATOR and I hit a deer a mile outside of Gibon,MN I think 12 years ago.(man time flies) I got a cool helicopter ride to HCMC.

Makes it hard to dodge deer them buggers travel at 40+ coming out of them cornfields

or tree lines and there dumber then a box of rocks. We done hit one and don't want to do it again. Hit 2 cars and a pickup and do not want to repeat that either. Like the deer theres not much you can do when they jump out at you or run stop signs and lights.

Don't let to much time go by before your riding again.

Good luck with the insurance and get well quick.

Body heals quick its that mental thing.

I was seeing deer in every bush on the side of the road for awhile .......................Ron

P.S. thats a cool avitar you have there..........Ron

Yeah that's real scary. Best wishes on a new bike and speedy recovery!

I've used my air horns several times to scare the H out of Deer, coons and recently two coyotes. Of course, I had the luxury of seeing them before they hit me.

It's also just fun to honk at them in the fields.

Again, good luck and congrats on coming out of this "ok".

This time it's me. My passenger wife and I whacked a deer broadside at 55mph on Tuesday eve.

I firmly believe that the bike saved our lives. The rails did their job. We didn't get trapped on the bike.

The deer sort of exploded.

-- Rick

Been there, done that, killed the deer & still riding the same scoot too. Mine was a little over 2 years ago. I still figure that, at the very least, I would not have a right leg if I wasn't on a Venture.

That's the best description I could make. The deer had apparently been grazing in an alfalfa field just prior to the whacking. The front of the bike was covered with the deers previous lunch, gut and blood. yuk! It just sort of exploded over the front of the bike.