IGNORED

Couple Harbor Feight Q's

Skid

I'm getting ready to start my Harbor Freight trailer project. I have one on order. The store didn't have what I needed so I got a rain check for 15% off the sale price. I was wondering how much longer should I make the tongue than it is now? And is it customary to remove any of the leaf springs? I was thinking there were multiple leafs. Also what other flooring options is there besides going with the diamond plate metal? I'm just looking for ideas, and gathering parts now and should be ready to build as soon as the trailer arrives.....

:biker:

Thanks Eck, I'll keep that page. I hope to get started soon if I can get my trailer. I still got to wire the lights and maybe go ahead and get new wheel bearings so I'll have everything ready to go soon. Does anyone know the part number for the replacement wheel bearings? I plan to replace them and add buddy bearings too.

:thumbsup2:

I built a HF trailer. I used the tongue that came with it. I removed all but the longest leaf and I used just plain old plywood. I bolted down a Sears cargo hauler on it, but if I had to redo it, I would use 2 aluminum pickup truck boxes instead. I also took all the lights off and replaced them with LED's.

Skid:

I used plywood floor for mine, didn't have exterior type so I coated with undercoating. You can extend tongue length by moving the front cross brace forward. Don't know how they pull with standard tongue length but with the extended mounting you can hardly tell it's back there. Hardest part was painting everything black unless red works for you!!

Terry

Guest BigJohnD

I met a guy named Bubber...a member in here...that built his own trailer. Might give him a shout to see what he learned from his project.

I met a guy named Bubber...a member in here...that built his own trailer. Might give him a shout to see what he learned from his project.

Bubber is from North Branch, MN and I bet he is bringing his trailer up to Pork in the Pines. Come on up to see how he built it.

I'll be looking closely at it since he built a tear dropper style trailer and I think I am going to take the Sears car topper off of my trailer and build a tear dropper.

I'll be glad to share my experience building my tear drop trailer with anyone. Things I would change....things I like..... things that would be nice to have... what ever.

I gotta pay some stuff forward because one of the guys here (Eck) showed me that one good turn gets you to pay it forward and that in itself keeps the whole cycle going and going and going. Just like the energizer bunny!

Yes I will be at the Pork in the Pines and I can tell you what ever you want to know about anything.....LOL

Mr thinks he knows it all! (and I get proved wrong every other day)

Steve

AKA Bubber

Skid,

Here is another link I saved that you might find interesting for your trailer.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gadgetjq.com/rg_bike-trailer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm&h=732&w=578&sz=205&hl=en&start=38&um=1&tbnid=Q0r3cWXzSgeazM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=111&prev=

And here are some Harbor Freight part numbers that might help you.

I bought one here in Columbus

I put a 1/2 inch piece of ply wood on it

and a plastic 18 qf car top carrier

Total cost just under $300.00

I have pulled it almost 4000 miles this year no problems

I am using a hitch from venturedad

The only change I would make for next year is I don't have enough cargo space.

I may mount the cooler to the tongue or go with a larger cargo box.

I have attached a couple of photos

Ride Safe

I'm getting ready to start my Harbor Freight trailer project. I have one on order. The store didn't have what I needed so I got a rain check for 15% off the sale price. I was wondering how much longer should I make the tongue than it is now? And is it customary to remove any of the leaf springs? I was thinking there were multiple leafs. Also what other flooring options is there besides going with the diamond plate metal? I'm just looking for ideas, and gathering parts now and should be ready to build as soon as the trailer arrives.....

:biker:

Used mine as it came, but did remove the shortest leaf. Put a piece of plywood and coated the entire thing with truck bed liner. Pulls no problem. Also welded on a cooler rack from some spare bits laying around, nothing fancy but gets the job done.

Heres a good site too, Skid. My last H/F trailer kit was built stock width with a 20 cf Sears box on it, followinf Gadgets plans. My new one will follow the plans listed in the link for EurekaBoy. I already have the H/F trailer and the Explorer box. Good luck......

http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/mctrailer.htm

Try here too: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=MCTrailertowing&nav=start&prettyurl=%2FMCTrailertowing%2Fstart

One more for ya...

http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

You guys realize you have me looking at this now. Shame on y'all. JK

I went to Harbor Freight's site but saw no price. What does one of these trailers cost?

I was at HF saturday in Huntsville, and they had one for $239.00

I went to Harbor Freight's site but saw no price. What does one of these trailers cost.

GW,

They go onsale regularly for $179, if I see one in one of my sale papers I'll let you know that they are on sale. I believe that the sale papers are nationwide when they put them on :thumbsup2:

I went to Harbor Freight's site but saw no price. What does one of these trailers cost?

I was at HF saturday in Huntsville, and they had one for $239.00

GW,

They go onsale regularly for $179, if I see one in one of my sale papers I'll let you know that they are on sale. I believe that the sale papers are nationwide when they put them on :thumbsup2:

Thanks y'all! Looks like I may have new project! I'll need it for the '09 Rally.

I narrowed mine so it is no wider than the saddle bags. Adding 12 inches to the tongue eliminated the sway I experienced at 65 mph. Can now do 90+ without feeling the trailer behind me ( good for passing truckers) :headache: Running with only one (long) leaf spring installed on each side of axle, 5.30x12" tires inflated to 30 psi. Towed 4000 miles last summer without any wheel bearing problems at all.:thumbsup2: