IGNORED

More power?

Guest Nightrider1300

Guest Nightrider1300

I love the bike but, is there any way to boost the performance of these bikes even a little? Most of the guys I ride with have the Goldwing 1800's and I fell like my bike is panting all the time to keep up.

The dyna 3000 ignition module will give you a little boost. Unless you want to do some very expensive mods like boring to 1500 replacing cams ect the 1800 wings will be able to run off and leave you. Unless those wings are hammer down all the time you should have no trouble keeping up. You need to keep the rpm's up to get power out of the v4 the power band is 4000 rpm and up. you can also change the diff to a vmax rear to get your rpm up. bottom line though is if the wings want to run off and leave you they will.

VMX heads won't fit the 2nd gen. V boost really doesn't either; it takes some serious modifications to get that in there.

Advancing the pick up coil 4* against the crank will give some boost at part throttle. It takes a little modification work, but it's not difficult, and it's free.

It all depends on how you ride it. If you have not hit the rev limiter yet, you are not even close to tapping what is there. Punch it hand hold until you feel it in 2nd and 3rd on an on-ramp somewhere to see what it does (you'll be doing about 96MPH in 3rd by the time you get to 6,500 RPM).

I ride with wings a fair amount and Never have any trouble - sometimes even the Valks have more trouble keeping up with me. Not in a drag race, of course, just normal spirited riding. Yes, an 1800 refrigerator does have more power, but nothing that is significantly usable as far as I am concerned. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Since I had a request for this, here's a pic of how I advanced the stock pickup coil. It's fairly easy on this bike because the coil mounts to the bracket with its own screws. Simply slot the holes out with a Dremel tool and slide the pickup coil over. Then use loctite to hold the screws in place. I made marks at 2* and 4*. I don't remember what these dimensions are right off, but they're easy to calculate. I have left mine at 4* advanced, which is about the maximum that the holes can be slotted out anyway.

• 11 months later...

i ride with the wingers also. when i got my bike i felt it to be doggie. read post here about driving it like it was built to be driven. high rpm, dont go to 5th gear till over 65mph. i keep up just find now! so much power there if you unlease it.

i ride with the wingers also. when i got my bike i felt it to be doggie. read post here about driving it like it was built to be driven. high rpm, dont go to 5th gear till over 65mph. i keep up just find now! so much power there if you unlease it.

:sign yeah that: They like to run.

haven't ridden with any wings yet, but flat out on an entrance ramp, 65 is where I go into 3rd... :178:

More power is not going to do much good if you don't turn the throttle! Redneck has noted the best mods for the price, but until you use the rev limiter as your "brake" you havn't even come close to tapping the power of the Yamaha V4. Honestly, I have never heard of anyone ever gernading a 1300 motor if it has been maintained correctly, but I see both First and Second Gens. all the time that have performance problems due to "lugging around" in overdrive. If I don't feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up once a day, I go for another ride! :thumbsup2: Here's some interesting reading:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37388

Earl

I started to ride mine like I stole it (for what I paid for it, I did!)

This is a totally new bike when you ride it where its meant to be ridden however your fuel mileage will suffer greatly.. I did some test runs up and down a highway for a few days (bored nothing to do so why not) and did some runs at 60 mph in 5th.. and the others at 60 mph in 3rd and forth, blasting from the gates and keeping the revs up and comfortable.. no buzz in the mirrors..

Keeping the revs up is a funner way to ride but you'll have to fuel up more often ;) I don't mind.. biking is about the fun factor

Once you learn to keep the rev's up and stay away from 5th you will know why the Midnight Ventures are the fastest scoots on the road. If ya want gas economy buy a compact car or a 1st Gen warshing machine(Maytag Model # 666-ALL-SLOW)!:p

Boomer.........who believes that lugging the Venture is why the 1st Gen Maytags come close to catching us.:moon:

More power is not going to do much good if you don't turn the throttle! Redneck has noted the best mods for the price, but until you use the rev limiter as your "brake" you havn't even come close to tapping the power of the Yamaha V4. Honestly, I have never heard of anyone ever gernading a 1300 motor if it has been maintained correctly, but I see both First and Second Gens. all the time that have performance problems due to "lugging around" in overdrive. If I don't feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up once a day, I go for another ride! :thumbsup2: Here's some interesting reading:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37388

Earl

Grenading a V4.. That's exactly the fear I had trying to bring the bike up to the rev limiter.. I'd chicken out and bail before hitting it.. the ONLY way to get around it was to put ear plugs in and go for broke.. Ahhhhhhh wow.. nothing scary but man this bike glides like it's on greased rails.. steady and rock solid and pure adrenalin fun!!

Once you learn to keep the rev's up and stay away from 5th you will know why the Midnight Ventures are the fastest scoots on the road. If ya want gas economy buy a compact car or a 1st Gen warshing machine(Maytag Model # 666-ALL-SLOW)!:p

Boomer.........who believes that lugging the Venture is why the 1st Gen Maytags come close to catching us.:moon:

Close?? Maybe you ought to have your glasses checked you might see that those flashes you been seeing are 1st Gens:whistling::whistling: as they go to the front you might be able to see them before they disappear in front of you.

Close?? Maybe you ought to have your glasses checked you might see that those flashes you been seeing are 1st Gens:whistling::whistling: as they go to the front you might be able to see them before they disappear in front of you.

Bwwwwaaaahahahahahaha...............

Boomer......who has not laughed this hard since he saw the local Cat House raided onna Sunday morning by the Baptist Preacher.:p

Gee Boomer,

The air must be REALLY THIN way up there in the North Eastern States, because anyone who would think that a Harley "Wanna' Be" with that big chunky "Dunkin' Doughnut" front tire, and those six foot long mufflers that look like they belong on a "leaf blower" could ever outrun one of the finest sport/touring machines ever produced on the planet needs to get his "seeing eye dog" a new pair of glasses! I would be more that happy to put my "Washing Machine" up against your "lugger, bagger" any day my friend! I guarentee that you will feel like my sister's prom sweater when I'm done with you, washed, spin dried, and hung out to dry! I might not be able to out top end an 1800 gold wing (I never found one that had the sack) but I regularly "snack" on the "safty chrome" of almost every late model production bike out there, including YOURS!:moon:

I waited to post this until you slapped us first genner's around more that once, I'm pretty slow to get fired up, but am willing to back up everything I have said here.

My name is Earl Harrell and I proudly own one of those 22 year old "washing machines".

Wanna' Race?

Earl