IGNORED

RSV Top Speed

Brad thank you . I was searching this thread to see if anyone with a 1st gen was having a problem like that. I just bought mine a month ago and not having ever ridden one before i wasn't sure what the engine should sound or feel like. It starts witha slight hesitation like heavy compression then fires right up. It idles but the exce3lleration seems lacking. Theres a slight vibration but after riding my 90 degree sabre I was wondering if the 70 degree engine was just slightly rougher. But last night when i started to excelerate for a pass for a split second I gain a burst of energy and i smoothness that made me wonder. Instinctively it also felt right to me too. Now I think I'll change the plugs and do a total tune on the bike. Freebird and any others out there anymore suggestions?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Don, I have had my '99 up to 180km(110mph) when I first got it,in '99, but now it seems to be slugish. I have 100,000miles on it. I was intending to go through it this winter. So with age it may be time to replace vacuum line, gas lines..., and to check it out completely.

Ive had mine to a speedohealed 110mph. The front end shake stops me there. Before the speedoheal, I could tag 120.

The front end shake you describe could very easily be caused by the car tire. As I posted in another thread, my bike was never stable with the same car tire you're running.

Had mine up to about 80 but my helmet started to buffet real bad, so I slowed down.

The buffeting stopped, but then the lecture from the back seat started.........:starz:

I get the same effect. Sometimes I even get sore ribs.. Must be from having to hang on so tight.. :stickinouttounge:

Iplayed with a corvete once and he said I toped out at 140. that was fast enough for me!:shock3:

[hijack]

I broke 140mph in an 88 Mustang GT way back in 1988. It was a friends car and we drove from Mpls, MN to St Louis, MO to watch the Cubs and Cards play. (Cubs won!!!) We made the trip in record time doing well over 100mph most of the way. We left at 11:30pm and pulled into St. Louis for breakfast at 7am. Those two lane highways in Iowa are intense at 140mph. Total darkness except four our lights and the glow of the next town on the horizon. That was a fun trip.

[/hijack]

Edited by juggler

First time riding with the Muffinman and Riderduke leaving Florence to Bishopsville , doing 115 mph on the onramp and never let off till we turned off the highway .

Clocked 112 mph pulling the BEERCART according to the GPS last fall . Riding 1 up . Had a little bit more twist in the throttle if I needed it . Not that I have the desire to ride this fast all the time , just had to see what the cow had in her !

BEER30

I have hit the 120 mark for a few seconds before reality hit. This last year though the bike has been really sluggish climbing hills..(ok, bridges in FL). I had to drop a gear or two and I was going full throttle. Since Muffy colortuned it the beast now pulls a steep bridge here in town in 5th with no problems and it accelerates like a dream. I have also hit 100 in 4th gear. One thing I have noticed is that since switching to a 130 tire I dont feel as stable at speeds over 95. I just may go to the leveling links and a 150 tire when they need replacement. :backinmyday:

Guest tx2sturgis
We made the trip in record time doing well over 10mph most of the way.

Wow. Whats it like going over 10 mph?

:confused07:

I have had my Black Beast well over the 120 speedo mark several times. That is not an accurate speed, but it sure the heck is faster than 90 mph.:dancefool:

Ok, when I get to about 110/115, either in 4th or 5th it is like there is a govnor on the bike. As long as I keep it around 110, no problem, but beyond, bike acts like it wants to go but can't :confused24:

So you others, how are you getting past this speed barrier :whistling:

sanity = his wife kicked him in the ribs when she realized how fast he was going. :rasberry::rotf::rotfl:

actually had my grandaughter(13yr old speed freak) with me...she wanted to know if we were doing 80 yet and why it took me so long to ride at 80 ! ! !

I can tell you from experience the speedometer quits moving at 120 but the bike will keep accelerating. I didn't have a tach at the time and didn't think about turning on the gps till after I got home I would guess it will run about 20 mph faster than a first gen.:stirthepot:

According to Yamaha the 1st generations will run 136 mph! Never had my 83 there, but went to 95 and was no where near the red line.:rasberry:

The specs on the original 1st gen, 1977, was a 1000 cc. engine and it was clocked at 154 on the autobahn. Of course, here the EPA and IIHS and NHTSA stuck their collective noses into the hopper (too bad it wasn't their entire heads!), and put a limit on performance. However, Kenny Roberts was clocked at 144 passing Reg Pridmore w/a passenger.

If anyone is interested, I have slides of the "original" Venture as it was tested in Germany.

Bill...

POLEDAR :thumbsup2:

The front end shake you describe could very easily be caused by the car tire. As I posted in another thread, my bike was never stable with the same car tire you're running.

I had the front end shake with the Michelin Commanders as well.

Im sure it's in the bearings or forks, I just can't afford to tear the bike down and fix it.

I have had my Black Beast well over the 120 speedo mark several times. That is not an accurate speed, but it sure the heck is faster than 90 mph.:dancefool:

I am in agreement with Steve. I do not have a speedohealer but I have had the speedometer hand almost into the gas gauge. I know that is more than 90. Or at least I hope so. This also goes to prove---BLACK IS FASTEST!!!

Freebird/Don - You should also compare the years of the bikes. Maybe at some point a speed limiter was added or lowered by yamaha. I know my 04 slid right by 115 in fourth (uncorrected) but sleeperhawks 05 wont break 110 in any gear.

I believe stock chevy silverado's 05 and afterward are speed limited at 90, to prevent litigation due to the factory speed rating of the tires.

Anybody know the speed rating of the factory tires? Bet it's 110 that matches sleeperhawks.

I would also bet the Dyna 3000 module overrides that speed limiter!!

I do NOT proclaim any of this as fact, just thoughts.

My 07 has been up to 120mph with stock speedometer. Still pulling too.

What's this speedo healer that I keep hearing about?

Its a device that is suppose to be easy to put on to correct the reading on your speedo...Most speedos are off 5-8 MPH at higher speeds..mine shows 70 but really doing 65..Tom

My 07 has been up to 120mph with stock speedometer. Still pulling too.

What's this speedo healer that I keep hearing about?

A speedohealer is an item placed between the speedometer and the cable on a Second Gen to increase the actual speed by 22.64% so that the owner of said batwing equipped motorcycle feels like they are going as fast as the smooth golden brown 1st Gen's. :178::stickpoke:

JB