IGNORED

RSV Top Speed

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opened up my 08 this morning for as long as I dared. It went rapidly past 105 and nearly to 110 (uncorrected) when fear overcame stupidity and I rolled off the throttle. Around here, counting deer carcasses on the side of the road gets commonplace. Wouldn't want to wrap my new RSV in deer skin. The speed was rapidly climbing and it was very, very smooth. With wings, I believe it would climb like a home sick Angel.

Glenn

Freebird/Don - You should also compare the years of the bikes. Maybe at some point a speed limiter was added or lowered by yamaha. I know my 04 slid right by 115 in fourth (uncorrected) but sleeperhawks 05 wont break 110 in any gear.

I believe stock chevy silverado's 05 and afterward are speed limited at 90, to prevent litigation due to the factory speed rating of the tires.

Anybody know the speed rating of the factory tires? Bet it's 110 that matches sleeperhawks.

I would also bet the Dyna 3000 module overrides that speed limiter!!

I do NOT proclaim any of this as fact, just thoughts.

My 2006 Midnight Venture is a yank bike but has KPH readings on the lower gauge part.. After installing and breaking in a new pair of Elite 3's (front & back) I had an opportunity to try out this speed, by accident. My friend and I were pulling onto a divided highway and his 800 Drifter, which is geared weirdly is capable of doing 120 kph in 2nd gear just as it's hitting the rev limiter. (I'm not joking).. So when he pulled up to me in 2nd gear at that speed I dropped the hammer on my Venture and left him soooo far behind.. I looked down at my speed and the needle was buried at 180 kph (112.5 mph). Yoikes! I let go the throttle and it took the needle a solid few seconds to come off the 180 mark.. To me that says I went in excess of 180 kms / 112 mph..

I had put that speed minder or speed calibration device on my VStar last year and yes it does recalibrate your speedo to where it should be. However, the error is indeed exponential which means the faster you go, the bigger the error. So when I'm reading 120 kph on the highway, the bike is actually only doing 110 kph as confirmed by my Garmin Zumo GPS. And when traveling a lower speed, the difference is lower. 65 pkh on the gauge is actually 60 kph on the GPS. So instead of going through the rigamarole of installing another speed minder, I just do the quick math for speed. (In NB and NS we have 110 kph highways.. too bad QC and ON don't ; )

Installing a Dyna3000 will allow you to reset the rev limiter, thus allowing you more speed.. but you have to be careful, as factory presets are there for a reason.. but it's on the generous side of things. Without a tach on this Venture, I have no idea where on the band I'm riding.

Now I'm just waiting for the rains to stop so I can get out again !!

Top speed on my RSTD while on a 2 mile 3% downdrade was 114 on the GPS . I also have my DK3 rev set at 7500rpm.

This pig is slow!!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

Where in Montana did you find a 3% grade?! =)

As the previous responder stated, fear overcame stupidity and we all need to slow down..

However, it was fun blowing the doors (fairings?!) off a couple of crotch rockets the other day =) These big black beautiful bikes certainly goes like greased snot through a goose!

And now, for some nice leisurely riding down the back roads at 'smell the roses' speeds..

Knees to the Breeze!

Guest 1154

Here in Ontario if you do 50kph ( 30mph ) over ANY posted speed limit

you lose your licence for a week, and have your bike towed away. As many people can testify too .The media usually advises when that happens.

That's before any court imposed penalty.

you lose your licence for a week, and have your bike towed away. As many people can testify too .The media usually advises when that happens.

Same thing here in Saskatchewan. If u get caught 50kms over any speed limit it is considered dangerous driving and if youre convicted its a criminal offense with 6 months of walking as you lose your drivers licence.

Also if you get caught going past highway workers or a stopped police cruiser with lights on at more than 50 kmh the fines start at about 175 bucks and go up 5 bucks a km.

Brian:mo money::mo money:

• 1 month later...

Same in Nova Scotia.. that is.. cough cough, if you get caught..

However, in Ontario on the 400 series highway, you just wait for the beemer to blast by and follow that car from a safe distance.. Let HIM bust the radar before you come up to the trap.. I was surprised at how fast people drive in Ontario on those highways..

Go figure though... max speed in Ontario / Quebec 100 kph... Nova Scotia and New Brunswick 110 kph.. Fun!

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is dead as a doornail, but i was looking around and found it...

After my clutch change i opened her up tonight to...ummm...check my clutch! I was using my GPS so the speed is true. I hit 110 mph and she still had more to give but i backed off since i was coming up on some tail lights. This is a huge improvement from the top speed of 85 i was dealing with before the clutch work.

My Venture is adjusted for my home turf of about 1000' MSL and last summer above 7,000 temperature around 100 and loaded to the max (saddlebags, trunk, and as much on the luggage rack as I could carry) I topped out by the Yamaha speedo at 110. The Ultra Classic Screaming Eagle would I was riding with did about the same.

My Venture is adjusted for my home turf of about 1000' MSL and last summer above 7,000 temperature around 100 and loaded to the max (saddlebags, trunk, and as much on the luggage rack as I could carry) I topped out by the Yamaha speedo at 110. The Ultra Classic Screaming Eagle would I was riding with did about the same.

If you were in 5th when you did this, you could have continued to pull away if you shifted into 4th :whistling:

Lets just say the ride across the desert this summer had some really really long and desolate stretches :whistling:

Don't know what my second gen tops out at. Had a chance to test it out so I wound it out.The spedo only goes to 180kph and it was still pulling strong. Felt rock solid all the way.

The fastest I have gone was on the 85 Madura. I was clocked at 150mph.

According to Yamaha the 1st generations will run 136 mph! Never had my 83 there, but went to 95 and was no where near the red line.:rasberry:

and you know what. Everytime I try to pick a challenge to prove that my 86 will run the dog snot out of any 2d Gen, for some reason, the 2d Gen rider has kinda ignores me. Why, cause they don't want to be embarrassed by a 25 year old relic; but a good looking 25 year old relic. There have been a few that took up the challenge but always had an excuse why I pulled away so fast and left them behind; needs tuned, carbs outta sync, bad tires, high speed wobble. Excuses are like you know what.

and you know what. Everytime I try to pick a challenge to prove that my 86 will run the dog snot out of any 2d Gen, for some reason, the 2d Gen rider has kinda ignores me. Why, cause they don't want to be embarrassed by a 25 year old relic; but a good looking 25 year old relic. There have been a few that took up the challenge but always had an excuse why I pulled away so fast and left them behind; needs tuned, carbs outta sync, bad tires, high speed wobble. Excuses are like you know what.

Yours may be faster..but mine has a tape deck!!! ....So there!!!... :stickinouttounge:

Hey, my 86 has a tape deck....So there right back at ya. You should know that. And it doesn't whine either.

:stickinouttounge:

Darn..I was hoping that your's didn't! (i was guessing) The 2nd Gen's whine for a good reason....and once i figure it out...I'll let you know what that good reason is!

Mine ran top speed at 247MPH. ...........then I woke up from my nap. Did have it at 117 by GPS Speed trying to outrun a Wing. It would never stay with a 1st GEN though.

Made me run and make sure mine was in the drive. I thought you had stolen it!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

like you said yamaha said the 1st gen toped out at 136, i can tell you that is not true. mine will top out at 139, just ask the nice police man that clocked me this summer. He even let me go because he got a call from his dispatcher and had to leave to get to a breakin call. lucky me :dancefool: because it would have been very hard on the wallet.