IGNORED

Is it possible to tow one bike with another?

Dragonslayer

I'm trying to get a non running 84VR from PA to GA. What I really would like to do is ride my 87 VR :7_6_3[1]:up there via Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive towing a trailer that I can load 84 VR on and tow back via interstate.:motor::7_6_3[1]:

Is it possible to come up with some trailer configuration considering weight/load distribution to safely tow one VR with another one?

Does anyone have any experience doing this, is it possible. Does anyone have any advice?

Here is an idea, ride your bike up as you planned, rent a uhaul box truck, load both bikes in truck and drive home? Justa thought:whistling: I am in Pa. but I dont have a trailer and I have no plans to cage it down so. sorry Craig

Bob,

Not adviseable, I know the bike will not handle the tounge weight, and you would have to have electric brakes on the trailer. I"ll say it right out, your out of your mind if you attempt it, get a truck and trailer to get it.

Here is an idea, ride your bike up as you planned, rent a uhaul box truck, load both bikes in truck and drive home? Justa thought:whistling: I am in Pa. but I dont have a trailer and I have no plans to cage it down so. sorry Craig
Thought about that and that might still be an option. Considering the cost of gas I was trying to maximize ride time and minimize travel expenses. Box truck from Pa to Ga one way is about $600.00 plus fuel at $4.00 plus per gallon with truck mpg what 6 to 10 mpg.

Thought about that and that might still be an option. Considering the cost of gas I was trying to maximize ride time and minimize travel expenses. Box truck from Pa to Ga one way is about $600.00 plus fuel at $4.00 plus per gallon with truck mpg what 6 to 10 mpg.

Wow I had no idea the truck would be 600 big ones, They advertise 19.95 a day around here, never dreamed it would be that high. You're rite wouldnt be too cost efficient. Craig

Next they'll tell ya you can't tow a car with a Goldwing.

I Love It. If that is possible I believe towing a VR with a VR is possible given the right combination of engineering, physics,:mo money: and creative thinking to design the right suspension and trailer combination. I may not attempt it on this trip but I believe my next venture idea has been hatched. Just think of the possibilities.

Harley Davidson

Roadside Assistance Vehicle

powered by

Yamaha

To all you naysayers, :whistling:Just you wait and see:dancefool::banana::rotfl::cool10:

Any of you with vision and Venture Capitol:mo money:, Want to talk about a joint venture.

My bike trailer is the same one as yours, reckon it would carry a VR?:whistling:

I had a dirt bike trailer, only rated for 500 lbs. Springs nor tires rated for the extra weight. My IT400 and the YZ85 were about all it could handle. Too much frame flex. My next door neighbor used it once to haul an early winger (83) and said the frame flexed too much with the bigger bike.

Get the truck and save your butt!!!

Dan

get a bus ticket & ride it home:080402gudl_prv:

General Concensus of opinion believes I would be crazy to attempt such a feat of madness. I quess I knew the answer to this all along and I'm not going to attempt to do it. I just thought it would be neat if I could do this trip that way. Time to consider other options.

Thanks for the input.

I had to go to Michigan to get my 85 XVZ. I rented a pick up from Enterprise and loaded it into the back strapped it down and headed home.no problem. The trailer Idea might work with a small light bike trailer but remember the brakes on your bike will be having to accomodate more than twice the weight they were designed for. ( Just a Thought) A chopper trailer might ork but I'd pick the flatest route possible on the way home. Better to go with the box unit or a pick up. Enterprise usually has limitless mileage on their pick ups. Good Luck.

Call every one of the Rental companies, close to your pick up point.

Sometimes you can get a deal if they have extra vehicals that need to go back to a certain section of the country.

I remember hearing about this, in the past, not sure of any details.

Could probably pull it off, but I don't think the specs are in your favor. Unlike the car being towed with (effectively) four wheels down, I think you'd end up balancing 800+lbs on two wheels with your receiver / hitch managing the balancing act. The center of gravity probably wouldn't be pretty either. Net, net - it's a cool idea but probably wiser to look at other alternatives.

I've had bikes up to 500lbs on a bike trailer behind my 83 VR without too much trouble, but then I'm mad - or rather the VR has got a large sidecar on it (is that the same thing?). That was before I put a sidecar brake on, but in any case I have to leave a lot of stopping space. I still wouldn't consider putting a VR onto a trailer behind the outfit unless there was an over-run brake fitted.

I'm not sure that I'd be happy pulling a braked trailer behind a solo bike.

Don't do it.

Go onto Ebay, buy a cheap truck, then sell it again.

Edited by greg_in_london