IGNORED

Eichenberg Chrysler

Marcarl

My dealings with a local dealer:

So I thought I was in need of a newer truck, my 1500 Ram was good but I was thinking 2500 for an upgrade. I went looking and finally ended up at Eichenberg Chrysler in Tillsonburg Ontario. June 28th was the day I test drove and bought it with $500 down. July 22nd was the day that @saddlebum and I went to pick it up. That was also the day that my son asked if the dog hair in the back seat fold-down floor came as no extra charge, and shortly after that we noticed that there was lots of field dust still in the vents, lower door panels, dash board, door posts and under the hood. I sent a text to the salesman and asked if they detailed a truck when they sold it, or did they just clean it. He said: We detail which is cleaning and any other items our manager feels is warranted. He also offered to redo the cleaning if I were to bring it back to him, so I sent him some pictures. He said he didn't think it was all that serious, and that he had looked it over before delivery and that it looked good to him, and after all, he had run the detail dept for sometime so knew what he was talking about.

That's when the wheels fell off:

We proceeded to look closer at other things like the rear rotors that were billed as being machined with deep scour marks and pad marks still visible and under the hood it looked like somebody had thought a cleaning was necessary but then halfway through thought the better of the first thought and so left it messy.

Really!!!! I must be from a different planet, but I used to think that if a feller spent 40K on a vehicle it would be all up to snuff, but I think they had to much snuff and put the leftovers all in my truck.

Next day,, off to MY mechanic who had no problem finding a loose ball joint, bad wipers and we found a dirty air filter. We replaced the ball joint, I bought and installed heated wipers and replaced the air filter as well.

Then I sent a note off to the boss of the dealership on July 10th with pictures. I gave him some time to reply, you never know if folks are taking time off and not available, so on July 22nd and the 23rd and again on Aug 04th I sent repeat emails. No reply until Aug 15th. Maybe he takes long afternoon naps or maybe he didn't like me so much now that I had paid my 40k, I don't know. What I do know is that he is now on the MTO radar and that the DealerRater rating goes live on the 20th. So he emailed me to see if there was something that he could do, seeing as I seem to have an issue or issues. We're having a long interesting discussion.

I feel like posting all those emails here, makes for interesting reading.

Just another note, and I have never had this happen to me before: When Bum and I went to pickup the truck it was all ready sitting at the front, the salesman was right handy and had all the paper work ready to sign and go. We got all that done, he handed me the keys and papers and said it was nice doing business. I climbed in the truck, rolled down my window and said good-bye, put it in reverse and was ready to drive off with him standing there looking as proud as could be. Did you happen to noticed something missing??? No??? well he didn't either, so I asked him if I was good to go and he said yes!! enjoy!!! That's when I asked if I could keep the 42k that was still in my pocket,,,,,, next time!!!!!!!!

Edited by Marcarl

The sad part is the average person does not go back over a vehicle the way Carl did and I have seen ball joints let go. So how does this fare for your average customer with absolutely no mechanical knowledge, who assumes he is buying a fit vehicle.

Carl....it is your fault. Don't ass-ume that they do what you would do!

Sheesh Don,, just cause we are all thinkin it dont mean ya gotta say it :big-grin-emoticon:

There's an old saying around here in Michigan on this side of the border,, it goes something like this... If you dont insist that the used car salesman approve of putting the car on a lift so you can shake it down BEFORE you hand them the cash you have no room for complaints afterward the sale. :happy34:

Of course,, I gotta confess here,, that is an American thing,, IMHO - many U.S. used car dealerships tend to be ruthless employing sales people who may,, or may not be right out of one of our Correctional Facilities Of Higher Sales Profitability schools but I actually assumed from reading Carls detailed account that this hiring practice ended at our Northern Border

:crackup:

Seriously though @Marcarl,, hoping its all straightend around now and that your new truck provides you with endless joy for the rest of the time you have left dealing with life down here below!!

Carl, I think you've been really nice about this. I would have waited about 1 hour for the manager to get back to me then all hell would have broken loose. TV stations, bad report on the dealership site, emails to the regional director, etc..

I guess I don't have much patience anymore for that kind of stuff. It's one thing to find one or two little things...but to find a whole bunch and not a word from the dealer would send me ballistic.

When I bought my Sierra Denali, I made them go over every little thing I found wrong. And they fixed it all at no charge. Even when I came back for a rough start/rough idle, they replaced the motor mounts!

I hope your patience holds out and the dealer does you right. God Bless you man for hanging in there...

Carl....it is your fault. Don't ass-ume that they do what you would do!
I disagree Don Ball joints are part of the required safety inspection in Ontario, therefore it is reasonable to expect the truck was properly safety-ed. The dealership is actually quite fortunate that Carl had it replaced. Had Carl Taken the truck to the MTO in the condition he received it, the dealership would have faced a fine as well as put through an Audit in which they will go back at least three years to look for more discrepancies. Each discrepancy found would of resulted in additional fines and if serious enough possible loss of their inspection license.

Maybe Carl th thing to do is as you like the Dodge look is transfer the body onto an old Ford pickup? You'll go farther longer ;)
Oooh your really rubbing salt into this one. Even whispering the word Ford around @Marcarl could get you an ear full, that would make his speechifying seem like a two word comment.

I had a local dealer knowingly sell me a truck with a leaking axle seal, I have a friend that worked there and warned me about it after he saw I bought it. I gave them one chance to make it right and cost them several new sales when they refused. I went out of town to buy my wife’s new car (same brand they sale) and made it a point to stop by the dealership driving it with the other guys name on the plate. Every time I buy a vehicle I take it and show it to the salesman and remind him how much money a $10 part has cost him.