IGNORED

What happens when you hit a Deer!

EddyG

Hi all,

I am really a newbe here just a few weeks old, I bought a very nice 84 venture, and Loved it It was the most comfortable Bike I have ever owned.

I just thought I would share this.

Mothers day my wife and I decided to take a late afternoon drive, and about 4 miles from home Bambi's dad decided he wanted to commit suicide and run into my bike.

Attached is a picture before and after the accident. I hope they come out haven't ever attached photos and I had to resize them.

My wife and I have survived, just broken bones, and sore body parts. And one less Venture on the road sad to say.

I had about 2 seconds to react, we went down as soon as he hit right by my right handle bars. The EMT's were supprised as the county sheriffs that we were still alive. He was as big if not bigger then the bike. It is only by the Grace of God we are alive.

Ya, But did you get the keep the meat?

I sure hope your insurance can help you out, for a down payment on a new bike.

prayers of a speedy recovery, to both of you.

I have no idea and didn't care at that point who got the meat. It was probably hambuger by that time anyway.

I am having a hard time convincing the wife and family of letting me get another one. But I am working on it. Maybe for Christmas, when there cheaper..

We have made great strides in recovery the last week and a half, especially my wife who got the worst injuries. Thanks for the prayers.

EddyG......I'm thankful that both you and your wife did not end up in the Intensive Care Unit as result of this Bambi incident!

A good friend of mine had a run in with Bambi 3 weeks ago. He was just released from the Hospital this week. Bike is totaled and he will be lucky if he can ride next year.

We have more deer running around here than Carter has Little Liver Pills. The Bambi Lovers have reduced the Hunter population to the point where it is nearly non-existent.

Listen Eddie,

If I ever hit a deer, and I live where they are thick, and can post a pic of my bike and I'm OK, I'll consider myself a very lucky guy.

They are deadly, as you know and I'm very glad that you and your wife got by with injuries that will heal in time.

Sorry that it happened, but like I said, glad your here to tell us about it!

It is the single reason that I now do very little night riding around here.

Steve

Thanks all, I don't really consider myself lucky, I feel that God just spaired my wife and I for another reason. I have researched and found that very few people that get hit with the size of deer we did and actually are in as good of condition we were. I do regret that we were not wearing proper safety gear, I had a jacket and gloves, boots, 3/4 face helmet, I suffered a major cut to my chin requiring more stiches then the nurse could count ( but she was blond) I should of had a full face helmet, my wife had no saftey gear on, if she had the padded jacket & pants & gloves she would not have had the problems she has now, she did hav e a full face helmet. Please always were all the safety gear even for a short ride like we took.

:cool10: I agree it's easier to ask forgiveness then permission. hummmm I will have another one, I really liked the Venture.

Wow, glad to hear you and your wife are ok, There just isnt alot you can do when a big deer jumps rite out in front of you, glad you both lived to tell the story. Good Luck with your recovery and a new bike. Craig

I think I still own the record. Killing 2 deers in one shot, around 9.30PM and I was back on a motorcycle the next morning without a single scratch. IMHO you must climb back on one ASAP in order of not being afraid in the future

Richard

Wow...one of the reasons I dont like driving at night. Day time with them is bad enough. It's a shame though, as riding on a nice warm evening with hardly any traffic is really really nice.

There are several members who are still riding after deer strikes...a couple even more than once have hit deer.

We are glad that you both are going to be fine.

That was a pretty bike.

I think I still own the record. Killing 2 deers in one shot, around 9.30PM and I was back on a motorcycle the next morning without a single scratch. IMHO you must climb back on one ASAP in order of not being afraid in the future

Richard

Richard, I am not afraid just very sore. :) I want another bike and want to continue to ride. I just got to convince my wife that if something happens to me she's rich. No but really, I will continue to search and might find a bike, The one that was totalled was in very good condition, and a good deal when I bought it. Even had a corbin seat, which was very comfortable. It's just I may wait again for a great deal. Meanwhile, I might go get a friends bike and go for a ride when I can use my left arm again...

Glad you both made out as well as you did, considering the alternative. Hope you get another great deal on a bike. Before you get the wife on the next bike, get her some good riding gear. Maybe she'll be more receptive to riding again then. Good luck.

Margaret

My wife and I picked up our new trailer 2 weeks ago. After picking that up we hooked up with a friend who has just purchased a Beemer. He took us for a ride through the back roads from Newmarket Ontario to Innisfill Beach.

It was glorious day for a Spring ride, I decided to ride behind my buddy in the left tire lane, he in the right tire lane, I stayed left has I was new to pulling trailers with a bike and did not want to run into a storm grate by the side of the road.

The road was as smooth as silk, farmers fields on the left, bush on the right. (you know were this is going don't you). In the blink of an eye a Deer sprung from the bush cleared the ditch and planted his front hooves into the roadway. I don't know what would have happened if the Deer hadn't had done an about face and ran back into the bush, I as well as my friend had no time what so ever to react, fortunately the Second Deer that was about to follow also turned back. I know that this would have been messy if they both would have chose to keep running across the road, that would have been quite the christening for the new trailer now wouldn't it. Now I know for sure that I have an Angel looking after me....and my mate.

Hey Eddy you and your Wife also have an Angel on your shoulders. Take care and get well quick. Best wishes.

K.

My wife and I have survived, just broken bones, and sore body parts. And one less Venture on the road sad to say.

More members, of the asphalt surfing club, not good........ Not necessarily, as there is ebay, deals can be had there, if willing to wait. I took out a Mule deer with my 83 & still riding it. It took me 3 weeks before I rode it again, as I needed a coolant tube first. See my gallerys for pics.

My wife and I picked up our new trailer 2 weeks ago. After picking that up we hooked up with a friend who has just purchased a Beemer. He took us for a ride through the back roads from Newmarket Ontario to Innisfill Beach.

It was glorious day for a Spring ride, I decided to ride behind my buddy in the left tire lane, he in the right tire lane, I stayed left has I was new to pulling trailers with a bike and did not want to run into a storm grate by the side of the road.

The road was as smooth as silk, farmers fields on the left, bush on the right. (you know were this is going don't you). In the blink of an eye a Deer sprung from the bush cleared the ditch and planted his front hooves into the roadway. I don't know what would have happened if the Deer hadn't had done an about face and ran back into the bush, I as well as my friend had no time what so ever to react, fortunately the Second Deer that was about to follow also turned back. I know that this would have been messy if they both would have chose to keep running across the road, that would have been quite the christening for the new trailer now wouldn't it. Now I know for sure that I have an Angel looking after me....and my mate.

Hey Eddy you and your Wife also have an Angel on your shoulders. Take care and get well quick. Best wishes.

K.

IT does happen in a blink of an eye, Yes the Angel's were with us.

Below is a picture of my view going down the road, I was on the inside of the road, as I came down the road notice the right trees and brush, the deer came out just as I was getting to the edge of the tree line about 15- 20 feet before that mail box and I saw him, running full speed and contacted me. There was no time to even react, full light outside, It can happen any time of day.

Glad you two are O.K. and survived. The NAVIGATOR and I hit a buck in 1997 on our way to a camp-out with our motorcycle friends on our 83 VENTURE.

I replaced parts and repaired the plastic and repainted and rode her for another 9

years before selling her. There tough bikes!

Hope you and your better half get back to riding real soon..................Ron

Click HERE to see photos and a story about a Honda Valkyrie Interstate VS Deer.

Note the bike did NOT go down!!!!!

Also there is a lot of deer blood in the photos....

I read that the other day, amazing. He didn't even know what was going on. My deer hit me at full speed at the front right of the bike, I had deer fir in my gloves and my chin. He actually broke the sub-frame where the mirror used to be. I wish I could have kept it upright, but he was as big as the bike.