I had the same problem (mostly 1up / no trailer / no high speed)last year when I got a "deal" from local shop thinking I was dealing for better Dunlops (409). Was told by other dealer that the 404's were for cruisers not tourers. Put on Metzler's this year.

I had the same problem (mostly 1up / no trailer / no high speed)last year when I got a "deal" from local shop thinking I was dealing for better Dunlops (409). Was told by other dealer that the 404's were for cruisers not tourers. Put on Metzler's this year.

Phil:

How do you like the Metzlers? Handling? Tar snakes? Grooves? etc....

Hey Wizard765 how are things? Tires seem to be all-right so far,seem to track Ok in all weather conditions even rain storms and all road conditions so far. Phantom wife(who so-far only Carl has seen) says she is coming to the meet & eat this weekend(weather permitting.).

Its a good, low priced tire for an under 500 lb. motorcycle that has about a 60 HP engine or less. Thats going to be used for local driveing, rideing single.

Its not a good tire for a 780 lb. dry wgt bike, rideing Two up, with 50 lb. of baggage, 30 lb. of fuel and oil, and running at constant high speed.

You may get a D-404 for $30 to $50 bucks less, However if you are paying sales tax, and Installation costs, and only get " Half " the milage, What are you saveing by buying the Cheaper Tire. ?? ( and include the cost of gas to drop off the bike at a dealer, and then go back to pick it up )

If you do your own installation, and only ride your Venture Around town, at local speeds, with NO passenger, YES, the D-404 might be the way to go.

IF, you take long trips with a passenger, pull a trailer, and travel cross country, then Buy the Best Tire money can buy, Its Cheaper in the long run, and a much safer tire.

The Dunlop Elite II Series, is a much safer tire, will last about 15K, and the Caseing is Twice as thick ( after tread worn off ) as the D-404.

I put the D-404 on my Son's Honda CX-500 for local Rideing , great tire for that kind of service, Never on My Venture, for long distance rideing.

Anyway, thats my rant on the subject.

The 07 venture i just picked up came with 404's. I was really happy it wasnt bridgestones until i heard here that these may not be any better.. I have been using avons on my last bikes and love them. You would think a tire manufacture would use better tires for oem bikes because even though im sure Bridgestone makes some good tires I would never use them because of my experience with the tires that came on the bike. This may be the same story on the dunlops if i only get 3500miles. avons calling

The D404, is a good handling, and rain traction tire.

No problem there, they just don't last as long as the Avon Venon, Dunlop Elite Series, or the Michilan commander series, or the Avon Venoms.

The OEM Bridgestones, used by most Bike Mfgs, are the Lowest price tires made by Bridgestone. Haveing said, that, I use BridgeStone, " Batalax Series " on my Sport Bike and they are great Tires. I got 11,000 miles from one on my GSX 1300R Suziki. ( However these are not Cheap tires, cost me about $180 bucks )

Most folks report about 8K on the big touring bikes, with the D404, some have reported more, others MUCH less.

My main point here is, some folks pay a dealer to Install, Balance, and sales tax, on a D-404, More money then I can buy and Install myself the Elite II Series. And I do half the number of tire changes, useing the more expensive tire.

So if you do your own Installation, Spend more for the Best Quality tire, order on line, and save the State Sales Tax, and get ( ON average ) Twice the milage, for the same or less money. AND, half as much Tire Changeing Work. ( if you have been paying to have D-404 Installed by a dealer )

( Also, if you order TWO at a time from SouthWest Moto, there is no shipping charge )

Guest cwil2988

Had the 404's on my Boulevard new, got 12000 miles out of the rear- front was still alright. went ahead and replaced them both at the same time with 404's because I was getting ready to make a 1000 mile trip. No complaints on that bike, but I understand the weight and power difference. Still undecided on what I will put on the TD. has little over 6000 miles on the Bridgestones , and I still got a little wear left on the rear. Hoping to make it till the end of summer, then replace the tires next spring before riding weather sets in. I know for sure I want whitewalls, so my choices are more limited because of that. was curious as to the major difference in ride quality and wear between radial and bias ply tires though, if anyone could provide a little insight here. Never rode anything but radials.

thanks

Craig

:puzzled::guitarist 2:

Edited by cwil2988
spell check

I'm not positive on this point, however I don't think there are Radials that will fit the Ventures. The Dunlop Elite III Radials, are not made in size to fit the 1st Gen Ventures. Not sure on the 2nd gen.

Maby some other brand , makes radials that will fit. But have not checked.

Another point, is the Elite II and III series, are whats used on the Gold Wings, Heavier bikes.

I like that feature, the caseings on them are 1/2 inch thick, the caseings on the D404 are only 1/4 inch thick. ( after the tread is worn off )

The 07 venture i just picked up came with 404's. I was really happy it wasnt bridgestones until i heard here that these may not be any better.. I have been using avons on my last bikes and love them. You would think a tire manufacture would use better tires for oem bikes because even though im sure Bridgestone makes some good tires I would never use them because of my experience with the tires that came on the bike. This may be the same story on the dunlops if i only get 3500miles. avons calling

I too have the 07. I replaced the back tire at 12000., ( I replaced it with a Metzler ) I now have 18,000 on it, But I'm still running the bridgestone front tire. with almost no wear signs on it. (Except,........ there are no signs of chicken strips)

Be happy. In my opinion, the 404s are 200% better than the brickstones. They will do a good job for you. I wouldn't replace them with the same thing but they will be fine until you wear them out. Also, the OEM Dunlops on most bikes seem to last well into the 12,000 mile range. It's the replacements that seem to be different.

You would think a tire manufacture would use better tires for oem bikes because even though im sure Bridgestone makes some good tires I would never use them because of my experience with the tires that came on the bike. This may be the same story on the dunlops if i only get 3500miles.

OEM tires are as cheap as the factory can make them, no matter what make. All they have to last is the test ride! :-) Bridgestone is often battered here, but I disagree. They make some fine tires. The SE11 (or SF 11, can't remember) Spitfire series is a nice, inexpensive, mid-mileage tire. Not sure if they're available in all the right sizes, but they worked well on my Virago once.

I've never had the 404, but based on what I've read I'd by far recommend the Pirelli MT66 or Bridgestone Spitfire over them for a lower price tire. But in the end I agree with George, you're better off in the long run getting Dunlop E2 or E3's, unless you ride very few miles. Only problem there is size availability; they still seemingly haven't recovered from their strike over a year ago.

Jeremy

OEM tires are as cheap as the factory can make them, no matter what make. All they have to last is the test ride! :-) Bridgestone is often battered here, but I disagree. They make some fine tires. The SE11 (or SF 11, can't remember) Spitfire series is a nice, inexpensive, mid-mileage tire. Not sure if they're available in all the right sizes, but they worked well on my Virago once.

I've never had the 404, but based on what I've read I'd by far recommend the Pirelli MT66 or Bridgestone Spitfire over them for a lower price tire. But in the end I agree with George, you're better off in the long run getting Dunlop E2 or E3's, unless you ride very few miles. Only problem there is size availability; they still seemingly haven't recovered from their strike over a year ago.

Jeremy

I got over 22,000 miles on my last Elite 11 rear tire. I've got close to 29,000 on the front and it's still in use. I put the Elite 111 on the rear but they don't have one for the front. I've read to many times that the 404's don't hold up so I'm not getting one of them. With the cost of mounting and balancing I would much rather spend on a high dollar tire that will last awhile between changings. I was at Rick Hafferkamps last week and he recommended the Avon as a replacement as the tire design very much is like the Elite 111.

Dick

Dick, that's awesome mileage! From what I've read, I wouldn't expect to come close to that with the Avon. The MT66 works well on the front of mine with the E3 in back, and it's pretty cheap at about 65 bucks. I'll probably get about 15k out of it.

Jeremy

Well, I guess my experience with the 404's is the exception here as I have had nothing but good luck with them. I've worn out four sets and have run them for 14000 to 16000 miles. Of course the closer they get to being used up the poorer the handling gets especially on wet road but that's probably the case with all M/C tires.

I'm a WWW fan and so my choices are limited. I did try the Avons with the smaller front tire but I wasn't as impressed as others. Never got a chance to wear them out so I don't know what kind of mileage I would have got out of them. I wish they would make the WWW's in the stock RSV sizes so I could give them another try. SW moto tire has stopped carrying the Avon WWW's for some reason.

I had Dunlop WWW's on the bike when I got it but can not remember the mileage but it was over 10,000 miles I put on it and they were still good shape but noticed a split between the treads, so I removed it. Put another Dunlop WWW on it and it has about 8,000 miles on it and will be replaced soon.

I already have another Dunlop waiting to go on. I do not mind the handling and like the looks (when there clean)

:rotf:

BRad

Edited by BradT

I changed the stock Stones out at 6200 miles (rear needed it, front had plenty of life left on it). I went with Dunlop D404 in wide whites and couldn't be happier with them. I have 12,000 on them, the front is going strong, the rear is getting close to needing replacement. I ordered a new set of D404's wide whites this past weekend (I'll put the rear on soon and run the front until it shows more wear before switching it out). These tires handle fine wet or dry and last as well as I expected them to. Bottom line is.... tires with softer compound will stick better but wear out faster, tires with harder compounds last longer but won't stick as good....Period. Don't let a few opinions scare you away from Dunlops as I've used them on my '06 RSV as well as my old '01 RSV with great success. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to correct myself. I have a set of Dunlop WWW, and I mentioned I only got 8,000 miles on them but I checked my records and there is 12,350 miles on them now. Depth of thread right now is about 1/16" and time for replacement.

I have another Dunlop WWW, ready to go on. I am not dissapointed with them but the only manufacturer that carrys the WWW.

Brad