IGNORED

Would you go back?

GrahamLFCkeeper

I've used my local mechanic for years.

He never overcharged me or looks for things that are not there, round here that's very rare.

However, My VN1500 came back with the head bearing lock nut and axle nut loose (steering head bearing replacement).. I mean just over hand tight

Question is... Do I put this down to a one off mistake and next time check everything after or never use him again?

What would you guys do?

Edited by GrahamLFCkeeper

A good honest tech is a VERY hard thing to find. If he has done things correctly in the past then I would call him and explain what you found, my guess is he would be willing to make it right. Anyone can err once and a while, it's how they go about rectifying it that defines their character, IMHO.

If it were me, I would talk to him, nice and tactful because it seems like his past behavior was solid. Benefit of the doubt perhaps. If your still not satisfied then I would start looking for another tech. I'm pretty quick to vote with my wallet.

Even the best of Mechanics can have an off day or get pulled away in the middle of a job which lends to sometimes overlooking were you left off. A good mechanic will make it right a poor one will make excuses or even totally deny he did anything wrong. If you always had good re-pore with this guy then talk to him.

Edited by saddlebum

Absolutely, I would go back. He made a mistake, but glad you caught it. Depending on the professional friendship you two have, He may be offended if you bring it up. He never did wrong before, so just consider it a busy, bad day.

Just my 2 cents,

Later-

Unfortunately it happens. A couple years ago I replaced some bearings on a 45 race car trailer and got an important call just as I set it back down, I got distracted with the call and forgot to torque the wheel. Being a triple axle behind a day cab I never felt any vibration, however I did feel it when the wheel came off and hit the wheel behind it. Luckily it didn't hit anything else but at 75mph it launched thru the woods and was gone forever. I'd talk to the guy and give him another chance, we've all done stupid things.

Absolutely, I would go back. He made a mistake, but glad you caught it. Depending on the professional friendship you two have, He may be offended if you bring it up. He never did wrong before, so just consider it a busy, bad day.

Just my 2 cents,

Later-

In my head I know what I have and haven't done on a machine, within a certain time frame depending on the job. If a person were to tell me that I did not do such and such, and they were correct, it would probably jog my memory, and I would be thanking the person very-very-very much for telling me. If they had a professional relationship with me I would be thanking them more because I know it would be hard for them to be bringing it up. Either way I LIKE FEEDBACK.

Having both T-Shirts as a professional Editor, and also a Retailer we see zero harm in saying to the Guy: "Btw it looks like you missed torquing... etc."

If he's a good'un, he'll want to know.

If it damages the Relationship, that wasn't as good as appeared to be.

Either way, it's gotta be done.... for your own peace of mind.

His reaction is also important, and definitely a 'need to know'.

Rgds, WRIDR

In my head I know what I have and haven't done on a machine, within a certain time frame depending on the job. If a person were to tell me that I did not do such and such, and they were correct, it would probably jog my memory, and I would be thanking the person very-very-very much for telling me. If they had a professional relationship with me I would be thanking them more because I know it would be hard for them to be bringing it up. Either way I LIKE FEEDBACK.

True, it all depends on the person. Some people get offended you think they made mistake. Others are appreciative you pointed it out.

Sometimes not what you say, just how you say it.

With that said, if they had a great working relationship for a number of year, the mechanics should Not be offended, but check his mood first.

Later-

I had a similar situation with my car a couple years ago. I've always gotten stellar service except for this one time. I went back and discussed the situation. They did what they had to do in order to make my situation right. Plus I got some free service for my inconvenience. Moral: Don't drop your mechanic over one goof up. Talk to him and give him a chance to "make it right."