IGNORED

Great coupon for Harbor Freight MC shop lift

luvmy40

I've seen a few of these "cheaper knockoffs" & they do seem quite sturdy. we have an outfit up here called Princess Auto that is similar to your Harbor Freight, they have a very similar unit.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-000-lb-hydraulic-pneumatic-motorcycle-lift/A-p8667784e

Probably out of the same factory in you know where!

Coule of reviews, though not sure about the reviewer that says it's made of cast iron... it's not, it's steel!

The only criticism I've seen/ heard is that some don't like the front tire clamp, there are better clamps available. But aftermarket ones can be retro-fitted these can be added as aftermarket, certainly for $300 it's a bargain imo!

Do remember that you are NOT relying on the hydraulics to hold the table up, once it's at the height you want it you insert a pretty hefty locking "bolt" drop the table onto the bolt, that then locks the table in place.

Better wheel clamp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Prograde-Motorcycle-wheel-chock/dp/B01IE48NMK/ref=sr_1_8?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZuvvOiP4wIVDcRkCh2DOQWkEAAYASAAEgJ2IvD_BwE&hvadid=238381937229&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001521&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=5742712035872361499&hvtargid=kwd-295788917179&hydadcr=25968_10284410&keywords=motorcycle+front+wheel+chock&qid=1561849970&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Edited by Kretz

I have the HF unit, like Kretz said he prepared to change out the clamp it's pretty flimsy. I also use the lock bar and don't let the hydraulics hold the weight if it's gonna be up there long. Instead of a clamp I built a chock I ride into to hold it. I caught them on sale last fall and bought one, next day I saw a near new used one cheap so I bought it and returned the new one. It was great when I did my valve adjustment and service.

Does the RSV hit on this lift? I have seen a couple that are too short for them.

I use the HF unit with my RSV, I have long enough legs to ride it on and use a chock in place of the clamp so it stays vertical when I step off. It's not wide enough to put the kickstand down without a block on the floor.

I couldn't open the link but HF has put out a 25% discount coupon that is good for only July 4.

The biggest complaint I've read about is that the jack fails often due to the seal leaking. But, there are videos on utube that shows how to install an air operated jack in its place taking all the work out of jacking up the table.

If you decide to get this, bring a friend, or 2.

I managed to get it off the truck and into my shop by my self, just barely. It weighs in around 300 lb. in the crate and is extremely unwieldy.

mcliftincrate.jpg

Mine was nearly fully assembled in the crate. Some of the youtube reviewers had to mount the casters and wheels. After getting the crate open I was able to drag it in the door on the wheels and get it all leveled up on my extremely un-level shop floor.

maximonlift.jpg

The hardest part of getting the Maxim on the lift was getting the bike at the right angle in small working area. After finagling things around till they all lined up, I just pushed her up from the left side and set her up on the center stand. A couple ratchet straps on the lower fork tubes and she's very secure.

There is a slight bit of movement if I try hard to make things move, but all in all the whole set up is more stable than I expected it to be. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it is built like a tank, it's much heavier duty than the price point would indicate. The maxim is just a little over half the weight of the Venture but I'm quite sure this lift will handle The Beast quite nicely.

ETA: I just compared the specs and the Maxim weighs a little over 200 lb less than the Venture. 531 lb. Vs 751 lb

Edited by luvmy40

Does the RSV hit on this lift? I have seen a couple that are too short for them.

My RSTD fit on one that a friend had.

Congrats on the purchase Richard! Hope it serves you well & yes! they are bloody heavy!

From what I can see, one of these wouldnt help me a bit to change tires. I have one of these. MC Jack

You're right, I have changed the rear on this lift but the jack is easier. I'm not backing it on to change the front. Valve job, any engine work, cleaning the bike, etc it's the berries. The knees and back appreciate it. I only did the rear on it because I was waiting for shims to come in and didn't want to move it torn down.

Yeah, with no center stand, it wouldn't be much of an advantage for tire changes. Up on the center stand, I'll just have to put a jack stand under the front cross member and I should be able to get both wheels off. That is if I can get everything lined up correctly. The removable access panel for serving the pump should allow me to drop the rear wheel without dropping the front end.

I wanted it more for engine maintenance. I'm getting ready to pull the carbs and do the valve shims on the maxim. I see the lift drastically speeding things up and making the work much less back breaking and knee scraping.

I bought one of these pos's 3 years ago. It lifted my bike 3 times, seal in cylinder blew out. I did not buy the warranty but pitched a ***** to the manufacturer. They sent me a new free cylinder via a slow boat from China.....6 months to get it. It lifted the bike twice then blew out. Found a youtube video of a guy that reworked the hydraulic unit. Required welding and such. The design of this lift is pretty poor. Now I have a lift siiting in my garage that wont even lift an empty platform. You get what you pay for. I wish I would have put that money towards a real lift. If anyone in Michigan wants to come and get this one and try to get it working, I will cut you a good deal.

It seems that all of the complaints about the bottle jack going bad are from 2-3 years ago. I may be wrong. Also the vast majority of reviews I found dated later than 2017 all seemed to give high praise. I do realize that a portion of those reviews are probably from people who used the lift once and never again. However, it would appear that there have been some improvements made.

I will certainly keep the forum posted if I have an problems with the lift.

I bought one of these pos's 3 years ago. It lifted my bike 3 times, seal in cylinder blew out. I did not buy the warranty but pitched a ***** to the manufacturer. They sent me a new free cylinder via a slow boat from China.....6 months to get it. It lifted the bike twice then blew out. Found a youtube video of a guy that reworked the hydraulic unit. Required welding and such. The design of this lift is pretty poor. Now I have a lift siiting in my garage that wont even lift an empty platform. You get what you pay for. I wish I would have put that money towards a real lift. If anyone in Michigan wants to come and get this one and try to get it working, I will cut you a good deal.

Like I posted previously, there are several videos of guys who replaced the HF jack with an air operated jack. The modification did require a little welding.

It seems that all of the complaints about the bottle jack going bad are from 2-3 years ago. I may be wrong. Also the vast majority of reviews I found dated later than 2017 all seemed to give high praise. I do realize that a portion of those reviews are probably from people who used the lift once and never again. However, it would appear that there have been some improvements made.

I will certainly keep the forum posted if I have an problems with the lift.

I'm sure you're aware but do make sure that you don't leave the table up held only on the hydraulics. From what I understand you are supposed to get the table up to where you want it, then lower it onto the "safety" bolt, thus taking pressure of the jack seal & the hydraulics.

Yes I am aware and it is sitting on the lower of the two safety bolt settings. This actually standard for any hydraulic lift. The more expensive systems have auto ratcheting safety stops that are always active until you deactivate them.

Hi Guys

I purchased the Princess auto unit a few months ago it came with Air /Hydraulic pump works great no issues lifting the Venture.

It also came with a drive in wheel lock and is fairly secure.

the only complaint is it does not come with any tie-down points, easily added with eye bolts.

the removable tray under the rear wheel is great but still requires the bike to be up on the center stand which is a challenge when the front wheel is locked up in the wheel stop but doable with some help.

HermanK84VR

Like I posted previously, there are several videos of guys who replaced the HF jack with an air operated jack. The modification did require a little welding.

Cost of HF lift plus the cost of air cylinder plus the time to convert....not going to be direct fit....plus the cost of weld...you now have the cost of a good lift. I personally will never buy anything like this from them again.

I couldn't open the link but HF has put out a 25% discount coupon that is good for only July 4.

The biggest complaint I've read about is that the jack fails often due to the seal leaking. But, there are videos on utube that shows how to install an air operated jack in its place taking all the work out of jacking up the table.

:goodpost::sign green with env Was kinda thinking about that myself?