IGNORED

Lost my drive train!

Two weeks ago Monday I was on my way to work at 3:15 am on I75/85 when I lost my drive train. It was like I had pulled the clutch in. The strange thing is that there is no noise. If the u-joint had gone out, or the drive shaft had broken, I would expect a lot of clattering or clanking or something.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? I haven't had time to look at it since I had it towed home.

Two weeks ago Monday I was on my way to work at 3:15 am on I75/85 when I lost my drive train. It was like I had pulled the clutch in. The strange thing is that there is no noise. If the u-joint had gone out, or the drive shaft had broken, I would expect a lot of clattering or clanking or something.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? I haven't had time to look at it since I had it towed home.

First off see if the problem still exists when the engine is cold. If it went away bleed the clutch. If it's still there start by removing the final and start working toward the middle gear housing.... You'll find it. Good Luck....

Since the ujoint and rear end junctions are splined, even when the bolt snaps (as mine did), the system continues to work...just whines on decel. So that's out...I would think. Otherwise it would make a ton of noise and maybe lock up the rear end.

No clue, unless the clutch system went away and is permanently disengaged??? What is under the clutch plates that would keep the clutches away from the driven plate?

Interesting...

Since the ujoint and rear end junctions are splined, even when the bolt snaps (as mine did), the system continues to work...just whines on decel. So that's out...I would think. Otherwise it would make a ton of noise and maybe lock up the rear end.

No clue, unless the clutch system went away and is permanently disengaged??? What is under the clutch plates that would keep the clutches away from the driven plate?

Interesting...

That's why I suggested to go to the clutch first. If the problem goes away when the engine is cool and the fluid has contracted it's probably the expansion relief hole at the bottom of the reserve being plugged. With it plugged the fluid has no where to go and will start to power the slave just like pulling on the clutch lever and the clutch will start to slip, eventually disappearing. It's most susceptible when in high gear on the freeway. Folks forget the slave is sitting on the aluminum engine block and will heat the fluid..then the clutch will disengage, and it acts just like the drive train disappeared... Don't ask me how I know this.. :whistling:

The cause was a plugged expansion hole, resulting in a complete clutch rebuild... Master..slave..plates..etc. :mo money: Why because I got a lot of help and suggestions from the members, just not the right ones. I discovered the expansion hole on the second frustration tear down of the master. I originally assumed what looked like a hole at the base of the reserve next to the larger one that went through to the piston was a mistake. Then I noticed a very small micro-hole at the bottom that had junk in it. Took a needle and cleared the hole, put it all back together and it solved all my problems. So for the want of a clear expansion hole it probably cost me a couple hundred bucks in parts and kits that I didn't need to spend. But I got a great education on the inner workings of the Venture clutch. Old fluid will crystallize and eventually plug that damn hole. That's the reason that Yamaha recommends bleeding the clutch every two years, and only filling the reserve half full so the expanded fluid has a place to go. Anyone buying an older bike that's been sitting for years, it's not just changing the motor oil, final, and dealing with old gas, but bleeding the clutch too.

IMHO.... 2¢ and a Paul Harvey Moment... :-)

Ya mite want to check to be sure nothing got stuck between the clutch handle and its return stop. Something like a wire, or cable or any other foreign object that keeps the clutch handle from returning to the stop. Dont ask me how I know about these things, but it can interfere with a nice ride!

Craig

I did start it this morning and it was the same. It felt like it does when you shift into gear without the engine running but still no noise, I just went back out and started it and shifted into 2nd and 3rd and in the higher gears there is a rattle maybe like stripping splines. I think that in 1st my exhaust is too loud to hear it. Now I need to get it someplace I can get it up on a jack. Hopefully next weekend I can get to the pad behind the house that I bought and am remodeling. (Hence the lack of time. 8 hrs at work and 2-4 more at the house!)

I went to get my old '86 Venture back but after sitting 4 years, even with a new battery, it won't start. Headlight goes out but no starter. I need to see if a critter has chewed thru a wire or something.

Edited by 86er

If your clutch checks out, pull your rear end differential out and see if the teeth on the output drive have stripped out. Seems to me someone had this problem about a year or so ago...

With your bike on the center stand and with a little assistance, pull back the rubber boot or pop off the inspection plug on the swing arm and try to see if anything is turning with the driveshaft, that might give you a clue as to where the problem lies!

I think I would get it on the center stand and see if you can move the rear wheel with your hands when it is in neutral first and see if you hear any noises. Then I would try it with the transmission in second and see if you can spin the rear wheel that way. Try the simple stuff first before tearing into anything.

Good luck..

Rick F.

Gather up $279.00 to $300.00 and go to harbor freight and get the big motorcycle lift; I have 2 of them, one for my rider and one to strip parts off the 5 parts bikes I have. The lift has a removable section of the deck under the rear tire, for $300.00 or less you just can't beat it. Get a motorcycle chock (you'll see one on the HF page for the lift) they have 2 at HF; I have both, they both work well. I bolted the chock to the lift with 1/2" bolts. That dinky thing they provide with the lift is a POS. I'd post a link but my browser won't let me copy it. Want pics? Just ask!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you find out what the problem was/is? We're dying to know! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...