IGNORED

Did he say $75 a round? As in, it cost $75 every time ya pull the trigger?

cowpuc

$75 dollars may be a bit of an exaggeration. I've seen them selling as low as 2 bucks a round in bulk. And somewhere around $35-$65 for 10rds. Now that may be a millitary custom sniper load, and that's what our gooberment pays for them?? Any way you put it, thatsa lotta money folks.... I bought 360 rounds.. 18 boxes.. of custom safari loads for one of my rifles in an auction that retailed for $100 per box of 20. I got it for a buck a round, and that was a more than I could really afford. :mo money:

That is one powerful weapon! I have a video on my old computer of Canadian snipers shooting the Taliban from long distances and it is unbelievable. They evidently used explosive rounds. I'll see if I can retrieve it and find a way to post it.

$75 dollars may be a bit of an exaggeration. I've seen them selling as low as 2 bucks a round in bulk. And somewhere around $35-$65 for 10rds. Now that may be a millitary custom sniper load, and that's what our gooberment pays for them?? Any way you put it, thatsa lotta money folks.... I bought 360 rounds.. 18 boxes.. of custom safari loads for one of my rifles in an auction that retailed for $100 per box of 20. I got it for a buck a round, and that was a more than I could really afford. :mo money:

Spot on Jack, here are some incendiary rounds on Gunbroker = 10 for 65 bucks,, http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704373369

Still way to $$$ for this ol lead slinger BUT,, if I was a wealthy lead slinger = oh heck yea!!!!!

P.S. = The attached notes in that gunbroker ad are really interesting IMHO...

Spot on Jack, here are some incendiary rounds on Gunbroker = 10 for 65 bucks,, http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704373369

Still way to $$$ for this ol lead slinger BUT,, if I was a wealthy lead slinger = oh heck yea!!!!!

P.S. = The attached notes in that gunbroker ad are really interesting IMHO...

They'd probably be good for starting a forest fire, but I don't have to worry, the guy won't ship to CA etal, and he only takes M.O.'s and Cashiers's. I have bought a few guns off GunBroker seller's, but will not send anyone a CC or MO without some sort of a way to back up the payment. I know a lot of guys will chime in here and explain to me how a CC or MO can be traced, but it doesn't do a lot of good without recourse. Another thing I don't like is the BS from sellers saying a bid reflects a 3% discount, and if paying by Credit Card to add 3% to the total. I've been in business and taken CC's for over 35 years and have never charged someone for the convenience of using a CC. It's part of the overhead, the cost of doing business, and it's just as convenient for me Talk about cheap SOB's. Geeze!! I'm getting old and opinionated.... Need to stop now.... :-)

I ain't got nothin they would fit anyway.........:innocent-emoticon: And here again that starts me thinking!! 20 rd. mag and spray everything?? 50 cal to make sure? All to nail one bad guy??? Why not just learn to shoot and use Mark lll between the eyes? Same results plenty of Ammo for next Idiots!!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

Yest that is really $75 per round, each time you pull the trigger it is $75,

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704881398

A single round is $75.00

A box of 5 rounds is $375.00

A box of 25 rounds is $1875.00

INDEED!! Sure makes one wonder why those green tip with white under belly "RAUFOSS" rounds are so special.. Think I am gonna have to do some googling...

Ever had the pleasure of touching such a thing off Fool??

Something else that's got me :scratchchin:,,, I wonder if there ".50's" are the same round as a person reads about from WW2 50 caliber machine gun.. Seems like I read a lot about those used as anti Aircraft stuff??

When I was in the Army in 1969 stationed at a missile site in South Korea way out in the middle of the rice paddies, we switched from M14s to M16s. We were taken outside the compound and allowed to shoot up some ammo against a hillside to familiarize ourselves with the new weapon. No gun range anywhere near us. We had nuke warheads for the missiles there and there were about 100 infantrymen there for the sole purpose of guarding those warheads. Well, the infantry guys brought out a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a tripod. They were allowing anyone who wanted to to shoot it. I watched one guy shoot it. He sat on the ground with his feet braced against two legs of the tripod with another guy sitting back to back with him with his arms wrapped around the shooter. When he fired it, the tripod with the gun and both guys were bouncing around on the ground. I passed up my golden opportunity to fire a .50 caliber machine gun!:Avatars_Gee_George:

No I never got to touch off a 50 BMG.

Yest the 50 BMG is the antiaircraft round from WWII. That is why there are so many tracer rounds of mil surplus.

BMG stands for British Machine Gun

The Raufoss round is an interesting round

650px-Raufoss_NM140_MP_(en).jpg

You have several incendiary chemicals to create a lot of heat to soften the target and then the solid tungsten carbide core to punch thru and let the fire into the hole coating everyone on the other side with molten metal.

When I was in the Army in 1969 stationed at a missile site in South Korea way out in the middle of the rice paddies, we switched from M14s to M16s. We were taken outside the compound and allowed to shoot up some ammo against a hillside to familiarize ourselves with the new weapon. No gun range anywhere near us. We had nuke warheads for the missiles there and there were about 100 infantrymen there for the sole purpose of guarding those warheads. Well, the infantry guys brought out a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a tripod. They were allowing anyone who wanted to to shoot it. I watched one guy shoot it. He sat on the ground with his feet braced against two legs of the tripod with another guy sitting back to back with him with his arms wrapped around the shooter. When he fired it, the tripod with the gun and both guys were bouncing around on the ground. I passed up my golden opportunity to fire a .50 caliber machine gun!:Avatars_Gee_George:

:scared:,,, :scratchchin:,,, :hihi:,,, :think:,,, :rotfl::rotfl::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:.... Wonder if those GI's came home and went to work as ground pounders used before for preppin for pouring concrete :rotf:,, :happy65:..

I am SOO sorry Sky,,, hopefully laughin with ya cause I am certainly not laughin at cha brother!!!:usa:

Seriously though,, THANK YOU for your service in defending our way of life!! Without folks like you, people like me would not be able to :rotf: when our chuckle button is touched by a story like that and I KNOW IT!!:happy34:

No I never got to touch off a 50 BMG.

Yest the 50 BMG is the antiaircraft round from WWII. That is why there are so many tracer rounds of mil surplus.

BMG stands for British Machine Gun

The Raufoss round is an interesting round

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110656

You have several incendiary chemicals to create a lot of heat to soften the target and then the solid tungsten carbide core to punch thru and let the fire into the hole coating everyone on the other side with molten metal.

I got a .50 caliber machine gun bullet that a WW2 vet (exgirlfriends father who served in the Pacific Theater as a Sailor) gave me.. It was a live round when he gave it to me as a very young man but I long ago pulled the bullet out of the case and dumped the powder out of it to disarm it.. It's bullet is all copper.. It has no sign of painting on its tip.. Being as old as it is, what are the chances that it is one of those 75 dollar hard hitting outfits?? Anyway to tell with no paint on it?? Wanna see a pic?? Wonder if I can still find it..

Also,, when my boy was just a kid he and I used to have a blast going up to a place called "Steel Gate" up in Waters Michigan.. Steel Gate was (probably still is) a part of camp grayling in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan.. We were at an air show viewing the Cobra Helicopters when a Vietnam Veteran came over and told us about "Steel Gate" = said - I can tell you where to go to watch these guys practice.. Even gave me a video tape that he took of the area,, we went and checked it all out and = SURE ENOUGH = AMAZING!! Wayyy out in the middle of nowhere were two flight "towers" that called in the troops.. Bet that place is long ago shut down to citizens,, maybe not but I cant imagine it not being that way..

Besides getting to see countless types of aircraft fly in and do there thing (WOW are those 20mm cannons LOUD when those Jets come over the tree tops, tip em back and let em buck!! AWESOME!! Another was the Wart Hog when it would light up a truck when you didnt even know that bird was up there...

Anyway,, we picked up all kinds of spent cases that fell outside of the fence area while out exploring where the tank two tracks were at... Allso got empty rounds of something with those snap together belt sections that hook em together.. Come to think about it,, those may have been 50's too...

Got those memories in a box somewhere too.. My son and I had a BLAST back then... Raising kids is SOOOO much fun!!

I made the full circle on this. I started with the 14 switched to the 16. Got to fire the M60 a lot. And got to fire the 50 a good bit but the 50 was mounted so it wouldn't get away!!! You can melt the barrels on them things if ya don't give em a break.....:innocent-emoticon: But for a fighting weapon give me a 60 anytime!! The 14 is the better rifle, the 16 a combat weapon. The 60 a Sweetheart. The 50?? Just the "Big Dog"

Yep, for shooting long distances, the M14 was super. I could actually hit the targets at 350 yards using the M14, the peep sight was so good. I never had to qualify at a range with the M16 even though the Army required everybody to qualify annually I believe and paperwork was produced to show that we qualified while in S. Korea. I qualified "Expert" in basic training and when they randomly assigned everybody in the fake paperwork, they put me down as "Marksman" which was the lowest category. Didn't like that! The Army is a dictatorship and like all dictatorships, it is corrupt as heck.

Yep, for shooting long distances, the M14 was super. I could actually hit the targets at 350 yards using the M14, the peep sight was so good. I never had to qualify at a range with the M16 even though the Army required everybody to qualify annually I believe and paperwork was produced to show that we qualified while in S. Korea. I qualified "Expert" in basic training and when they randomly assigned everybody in the fake paperwork, they put me down as "Marksman" which was the lowest category. Didn't like that! The Army is a dictatorship and like all dictatorships, it is corrupt as heck.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: In my opinion the 14 was a rifle. The 16 a combat weapon. Never had any problems with the 16 but as stated if you Wanted to "Reach out and touch someone" 14 was the way to go.

An M16 is pretty darn accurate. I never had any problems hitting 300yd silhouettes with the iron sights. My current crop of 5.56mm AR15 carbines are all MOA guns. My eyesight needs a little help from Aimpoint these days but I'm confident out to 300 yds with any of them.

16 can't hold with 14 for longer shots.

Wonder if that's cause the 223 runs out of gas from being the smaller cartridge and not so much cause of the smaller caliber .. I had 22/250 bull barreled 700 Remington that was a real flat good shooter out to several hundred yards.. Seems like ballastically that thing had a muzzle velocity of 3100...

:scratchchin:,, didnt Colt put that bump handle device on the 16 as an anti jam device? Any jam issues like that with the 14? Is that one of the things you were referring to when you mentioned the 14 being the better rifle DanL?

14 never had jamming problem. 16 didn't either if you were old country boy that knew squirrel gun needed lubed & cleaned at least once every 10 yrs!! My 16 sang sweet and never jammed!!

While playing with Uncle Sam I qualified with,

M14- Expert

M16 - Expert

M79 Grenade Launcher- Expert

Colt 45 Grease Gun- Marksman

Colt 1911- Expert

M60 Machine Gun- Expert

M50 Machine Gun- Expert

John Law- Expert

308 Sniper rifle- Expert

So I can shoot a little:backinmyday: