IGNORED

Problem

Sailor

'02 Venture. It is the panel just above the passengers floorboard on the right side. There are two fasteners. One came out easily and the other won't budge. I have tried WD 40, cooling it, heating it, and nothing works. I suspect there is a short in a wire behind it as when the ignition is on if I wiggle a wire the horn honks.

There's only one holding the side panel on. The one towards the front of the bike is a dummy. Just pull out on the front of the cover after removing the back screw.

Ya. That's a spare for your shift linkage

Sometimes just smacking down on the fastener while applying force in the loosening direction is enough to jar a stuck bolt or screw loose. It is a bit tricky when dealing with Allen head bolls or screws. If you have an Allen stock that is set in a 3/8 or 1/4 inch drive adapter, you could put it on a breaker bar, at maybe with a helper applying torque on the handle at 90 degrees in loosening direction, smack an the knuckle of the breaker bar so the shock load is transferred straight down to the screw head. Just be careful not to miss and hit the tin panel, then you be buying a new panel.

If it's Allen head I put an Allen socket on it and hit it straight in a couple raps before trying to loosen it. That shock usually breaks the bond of steel bolts in aluminum cases. Then turn them out with a ratchet. I'm talking good smart raps with a small hammer, not a sledge or something big enough to break cases.. If Phillips I use a flat punch and do the same thing before I ever put a screwdriver on them. Most back out without having to use an impact driver after that. An old transmission rebuilder taught me that probably 30 years ago.

Edited by RDawson

'02 Venture. It is the panel just above the passengers floorboard on the right side. There are two fasteners. One came out easily and the other won't budge. I have tried WD 40, cooling it, heating it, and nothing works. I suspect there is a short in a wire behind it as when the ignition is on if I wiggle a wire the horn honks.

Are you talking about the plastic one? If so I don't want to state the obvious but did you remove the Phillips screw first?