IGNORED

So I went and bought a boat....

Condor

Had an I/O runabout boat that I did the carpentry and my sister did the vinyl work on years back. An I/O was not suited to the river at my mom's cottage and sold it a few years later for pretty close to what I had into it. Now its pontoon with and outboard...that might need a little loving on the vinyl seats over the next few years.

Good luck on the restoration. We deleted all the "cord-piping" on the seats and covers for ease of construction. I don't know if you plan to do the sewing or hiring a shop.

Had an I/O runabout boat that I did the carpentry and my sister did the vinyl work on years back. An I/O was not suited to the river at my mom's cottage and sold it a few years later for pretty close to what I had into it. Now its pontoon with and outboard...that might need a little loving on the vinyl seats over the next few years.

Good luck on the restoration. We deleted all the "cord-piping" on the seats and covers for ease of construction. I don't know if you plan to do the sewing or hiring a shop.

I'm going to pop for a new 'set' of lounge and jump seats. I can pick up a set from Overton's for around $500 on my door step. They mount easily. I'll round file the old ones. The side bolsters I'll probably recover. Just have to figure out how to get them off?? However, I'm not doing to do anything until we get the engine fired. 500hrs total. Lots of Sea Foam.. 35 gallon tank!! The floor carpet is decent. Just needs to be shampoo'd. Not quite sure if I want to redo the deck with Teak and Holly?? I have 2 4x8 sheets in the stash... BTW here's another pic of the boat. It's a '91 Four Winns 205 Sundowner with a 5.8 Cobra. Has a lot of potential. :mo money:

4winds.2.jpg

Edited by Condor

Well, refurbishing the boat should keep you out of the bars for a while. :) Should be a lot of fun!

We have a 98 18' Boston Whaler Ventura with a 99 Yamaha 150hp outboard. We rarely used it because of the hassle of pulling it to the ramps and launching and retrieving it with the crowds. Sooo, this summer we rented a wet slip. If we don't use it more this summer it will be sold! Painting the bottom with the anti-fouling paint while it was in the yard on the trailer is something I don't care to do again! Had to be done though since it will be sitting in salt water.

We sold our 26' Regal Ambassador last spring. We loved the boat but the only lake near us that was really large enough for the boat was Lake Erie. We really don't like Lake Erie at all. We towed it to Lake Cumberland once because we love it down there but it's just too far to get down there very often and this was a large boat to be towing that far. Summer before last, we finally broke down and rented a slip on Lake Erie. It cost us $2100.00 for the summer and I think that we actually took it out 2 times. We used it for a camper a few times but that's about it. For what we paid just for the slip for the summer, we can drive to Cumberland and rent a houseboat a couple of times a year and not have to worry about maintaining a boat. Here's the one that we sold. It was a nice boat. We loved that it had a fore and aft cabin.

This picture was taken at Lake Cumberland.

Cumberland1.jpg

Here it is on the way home from Cumberland. It weighed about 8,000 lbs. Quite a lot behind a 1/2 Avalanche.

Aviandboat.jpg

What's that old saying about the two best days in a guys life?

The Day he Buys his boat & the day he sells his boat!

Having said that I'd love one, especially around here in the Pacific NW/ SW Canada...but it ain't gonna happen $$$$ ;(

Enjoy 'em boys!

What's that old saying about the two best days in a guys life?

The Day he Buys his boat & the day he sells his boat!

Having said that I'd love one, especially around here in the Pacific NW/ SW Canada...but it ain't gonna happen $$$$ ;(

Enjoy 'em boys!

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand

We sold our 26' Regal Ambassador last spring. We loved the boat but the only lake near us that was really large enough for the boat was Lake Erie. We really don't like Lake Erie at all. We towed it to Lake Cumberland once because we love it down there but it's just too far to get down there very often and this was a large boat to be towing that far. Summer before last, we finally broke down and rented a slip on Lake Erie. It cost us $2100.00 for the summer and I think that we actually took it out 2 times. We used it for a camper a few times but that's about it. For what we paid just for the slip for the summer, we can drive to Cumberland and rent a houseboat a couple of times a year and not have to worry about maintaining a boat. Here's the one that we sold. It was a nice boat. We loved that it had a fore and aft cabin.

I hear you Don, and do undestand. In our case we have a fairly large lake/reservoir with 20 minutes of the house, and launching is not that much of a hassle. I've subletted a slip there in the past for about $100 a month. Probably a bit more today?? I kept the sailboat in a saltwater slip in SF Bay for over 6 years. Spent more on slip fees than I initially did for the boat. This boat is a little more user friendly. With the lake and being surrounded by the Ca Delta we shouldn't have a lack of nearby places to launch. It'll make a great little overnighter, or for chasing stripper and salmon on the Sacramento River... Besides the whole thing ran me $600 bucks!! Boat and trailer. I have room to play... :-)

Edited by Condor

The thing that drives me nuts about our boat is deciding where to go next. I could go over to Minnesota with the 10,000 lakes or stay in Wisconsin with over 12,000. Then the north border is Lake Superior (where I grew up, but makes my wife nervous) or the east with Lake Michigan, or the west with the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers.

I have not had ours out on lake Michigan, yet. Maybe that will be next. Might be easier to go see an old pal that runs a charter out of Sturgeon Bay, though. He would make it fun, for sure.

Bit of advice, though. Take the safety course if your state offers one. Good stuff in the class I took. Even though I had 6 years in the Navy, there was stuff I didn't even think about.

I hear you Don, and do undestand. In our case we have a fairly large lake/reservoir with 20 minutes of the house, and launching is not that much of a hassle. I've subletted a slip there in the past for about $100 a month in the past. Probably a bit more today?? I kept the sailboat in a saltwater slip in SF Bay for over 6 years. Spent more on slip fees than I initially did for the boat. This boat is a little more user friendly. With the lake and being surrounded by the Ca Delta we shouldn't have a lack of nearby places to launch. It'll make a great little overnighter, or for chasing stripper and salmon on the Sacramento River... Besides the whole thing ran me $600 bucks!! Boat and trailer. I have room to play... :-)

Yikes! The trailer is worth more than that!

Great find!

:banana:

I think it's an awesome project. I keep thinking boat/no boat. I just want something big enough to sleep on and fish from, one like yours would do the trick nicely. I hope to be relocating up to Devils Lake area this year so that might be the time.

I hope it runs nice and you get to take her out soon.

We had a boat a few years ago .... got caught in a wind storm on the Shuswap and this happened .....

Wife said "NO MORE BOATS!" .... hmmmmm does a kayak count? (coz we bought two of 'em LOL)

Bow Riders'll do that to ya. They make for a lot of room, but belong on a small lake. One of the reason's I like cuddy cabins...

I've got three boats if you count the Kayak & jon boat, and love the water. Here is a pic of my favorite. Its a 18 foot Bayliner with a 140 hp inboard. If I could be on the boat everyday I'd give up motorcycles.

Iphone pics 5.18 1716.jpg

Bow Riders'll do that to ya. They make for a lot of room, but belong on a small lake. One of the reason's I like cuddy cabins...

ya, and a deep-V hull would have been much better. We didn't get swamped while out on the lake ... we were trying to get to a dock but I got a bit past it and couldn't turn around due to the waves so all we could do was beach the boat. That's when it got filled with water. Bottom of the hull got chewed up a bit on the rocks to the tune of $1200. Everything else was salvageable ... .just needed cleaning and put back together. We used the boat half a dozen times after that in the same year. Then we moved to where we are now and sold it in the spring of 2015.

I've got three boats if you count the Kayak & jon boat, and love the water. Here is a pic of my favorite. Its a 18 foot Bayliner with a 140 hp inboard. If I could be on the boat everyday I'd give up motorcycles.

Looks good Jeff. I like boats but don't LOVE boats. I enjoy going out for a while but get bored with it pretty soon.

I agree with you Craig. We really enjoy our Waverunnners, just wish we had more time to use them. We too prefer the glass smooth waters, especially when we can find som scenic twisty rivers. That is our preference. Our best time was renting renting a houseboat on Lake Cumberland then towing the Waverunners behind it. Find a nice quiet cove to anchor the houseboat down and then use the Waverunners to explore.

Bit of advice, though. Take the safety course if your state offers one. Good stuff in the class I took. Even though I had 6 years in the Navy, there was stuff I didn't even think about.

Always sound advice... I've been sailing for over 60 years... Dang that's a long time :backinmyday:... so pretty familiar with all the regs...

Yikes! The trailer is worth more than that!

Great find!:banana:

That's what I kinda figured....

I got a 10 footer!! Even got ONE oar with it!!

An oar?? Better not tell the Warden... :)

Nice looking boat.... :thumbsup2:

ya, and a deep-V hull would have been much better. We didn't get swamped while out on the lake ... we were trying to get to a dock but I got a bit past it and couldn't turn around due to the waves so all we could do was beach the boat. That's when it got filled with water. Bottom of the hull got chewed up a bit on the rocks to the tune of $1200. Everything else was salvageable ... .just needed cleaning and put back together. We used the boat half a dozen times after that in the same year. Then we moved to where we are now and sold it in the spring of 2015.

Anytime the sea state starts to get nasty it's better to stay offshore. Waves will start breaking in shallow waters. Glad it cleaned up. Kinda thought that when I looked at the pics...

Boat, a hole in the water you pour money into. :fishin:

Randy

Motorcycle... A place between two wheels that keeps needing TLC....:mo money:

Anytime the sea state starts to get nasty it's better to stay offshore. Waves will start breaking in shallow waters. Glad it cleaned up. Kinda thought that when I looked at the pics...

I know 'dis ... but try and convince Nina ... noooooo she said, we can't keep going! Get to those docks over there! She was freakin coz she's not used to boats or for that matter, heavy waves ... so I did what I was told like a good boy should in that case. I really wanted to head for the calm side (we were out about middle of the lake) but she insisted we not go there (that side is uninhabited).

Oh well, it's all "water under the bridge" now (pun intended) LOL

As for me, I'd have another boat in a heart beat. Love to get out and fish, explore, water ski, tubing, or just floating/sunbathing/swimming out on the water somewhere ... ya, even at 70 I still want to water ski even though I don't have the strength or stamina I should have for that activity!