IGNORED

BB Guns are Scary

uncledj

I saw this posting on Craigslist, and thought I'd share.

What's it like to fire a Daisy BB gun? Well it's an experience I'll never forget. Everybody knows BB guns are scary looking and ought to be banned, but I thought I would try to shoot one without any preconceived notions. What I encountered changed me forever.

I took a deep breath and determined to enter a Wal-Mart. A "greeter" met me with, "Howdy, welcome to Wal-Mart." I'm from the north. We don't say "Howdy". I sneer back at the microaggression and strain to hold back tears of rage. Barely controlling myself, I asked where I could find a BB gun. He directed me to "sporting goods," still smiling and gloating over his slyly delivered offense.

I go to the "sporting goods" section, a perfect charnel house where implements of sulfur, death, and destruction are openly and brazenly sold. I notice a BB gun just lying on a shelf. I reach for it as if it was a poisonous snake, wondering if it will go off when I pull it off the shelf. That's right, a shelf. Where anybody could get it.

I go to the counter and the death merchant asks me if I wanted BBs to go with it. He even had the audacity to offer me "Copperhead" brand BBs! How could this inbred hick not know that I see a therapist twice a week to treat my herpetophobia?

I buy the gun and the recommended BBs. I'm dizzy going out to the parking lot. A passing stranger, attired in a camouflage assault t-shirt, asks, "Sir, you okay?" "How dare you assume my gender!" I shout back. "Sorry, just checkin'," he said as if my health was any of his business. But the worst was yet to come.

I went to a wooded area to fire the BB gun, a Daisy 509 Buck, probably made by Bushmaster. I bruised my knuckles operating the cocking lever. Taking aim, I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth, and pulled the trigger. The sound of the spring loaded plunger going "boing" startled me. I became disoriented watching the BB arc towards its target. The "dink!" sound it made bouncing off a coke can was horribly loud. The recoil was horrendous, like a bazooka or some other recoilless weapon, and it dislocated my shoulder. I vomited and cried. I still have PTSD. Anxiety. Irritability. Nightmares. I may never again be the same.

But enough about me, at least for now. Worst of all, these weapons of mass destruction are available to the general public. It's time we stopped listening to the paid lobbyists of the National BB Gun Association who assure us that BB guns are hardly ever used in the commission of a crime. They scare me, they should scare you, and they ought to be banned.

Remembering when I was a kid - got my first BB Gun.. My dad teaching me gun safety and all that.. Did just fine till one day, probably after watching Little Joe Cartwright or Lucas Macain as The Rifle Man shoot a hard kicking rifle, I got to wondering if my little BB gun had any "kick" to it.. Went outside, cocked the lever on that little "Red Rider" - put the stock butt against my lip and pulled the trigger.. WOWZY - even the non-hurting end of a BB gun can hurt cha!! Even got a fat lip out of that one.. My Dad had a hard time keeping from laughing about it - looked at me and said "never thought about teaching ya not to do that" LOL..

Bottom line - I dont necessarily agree with the writers summation that BB guns are inherintly dangerous - at a minimum, they do serve the very practical service to mankind by insuring most of us gun toting Americans will probably not get our teeth knocked out by placing a loaded shotgun or rifle stock against our mouths and pulling the trigger to see how bad they kick..

The End

PS = good one Unc!!

I want to know where he bought this bb gun that has any kick, now days your lucky to put a dent in something, I remember the bb gun I got from my grandpa gave me I repaired it and wow. My Daisy got all but forgotten Granpa's had a kick to his and it would punch thru plywood!!! Mine would only put a dent and hole in a can. But his pierced the can!!!

I had a Daisy Red Ryder when I was a kid (8?)

I was roaming around the cabin shootin' at random stuff, and saw what looked like a piece of cardboard laying on the ground that I shot at, and was quite dissapointed that the bb didn't go through, but rather bounced off...Thinking that this armament I was deploying should be able to penetrate this cardboard, .....I moved closer and tried again....to no avail....so I moved closer and tried again, only to have the bb bounce back and stick in my eye....LOL....OMG...I shot my eye out !!!

I could still see out of that eye, and didn't realize the bb had stuck in it, but only knew that my eye was irritated, so I went down to the creek and rinsed my eye out with water. Didn't help much.

I went back to the cabin as if nothing happened, and Mom said my eye was all bloodshot...what happened...???

Of course I said.....nnnuuuuuttthhhiiinnnn.....

She looked closer, and saw the bb in there and freaked.....

She called Dad over, who promptly grabbed a pair of needle nosed pliers and was about to do a BB-ectomy, but Mom realised what was about to happen, she shot it down, and they took me on the 45 minute ride to a doctors office, where the doc pulled it out, put a bandage over the eye and told us to leave it there for 24hrs.

I didn't wait the 24 hrs. I pulled the bandage off the next morning and all was well.

I grabbed the BB gun, and after much apprehension and warning from Mom, I went back out in the woods with my trusty weapon.

Turns out the "cardboard" was actually plastic.

When the BB stuck in my eye, it actually stuck just in the corner, where the tear duct is. I was very lucky.

Wasn't the first time the Good Lord was looking out for me...and there've been many other such times since.

I just hope he keeps looking after me, 'cause Lord knows I need lookin' after.:2143:

Wasn't that a Mom's often used saying.... "You'll put someone's eye out with that"

Learned something the other day,

I always thought BB stood for ball bearing... wrong! Apparently it was the projectile size that fell between sizes BBB & B. How's about that?

I remember doing the red ryder at daisy here in town, we had to rework like 5 pallets of them because turkey put the wrong trigger spring in... I remember a pellet gun I also had you could get them sharp pellets for, couldn't do much with it tho. I think the sharp pellets were just for looks. I remember me and a friend playing with air pistols the type you put the cartridge in and we would shoot leaves with just the air in puddles in his dad's junk yard. Sometimes little frogs, ok more then sometimes it was fun killing frogs with an air pistol.....

Remembering when I was a kid - got my first BB Gun.. My dad teaching me gun safety and all that.. Did just fine till one day, probably after watching Little Joe Cartwright or Lucas Macain as The Rifle Man shoot a hard kicking rifle, I got to wondering if my little BB gun had any "kick" to it.. Went outside, cocked the lever on that little "Red Rider" - put the stock butt against my lip and pulled the trigger.. WOWZY - even the non-hurting end of a BB gun can hurt cha!! Even got a fat lip out of that one.. My Dad had a hard time keeping from laughing about it - looked at me and said "never thought about teaching ya not to do that" LOL..

Bottom line - I dont necessarily agree with the writers summation that BB guns are inherintly dangerous - at a minimum, they do serve the very practical service to mankind by insuring most of us gun toting Americans will probably not get our teeth knocked out by placing a loaded shotgun or rifle stock against our mouths and pulling the trigger to see how bad they kick..

The End

PS = good one Unc!!

Good grief Puc. Got a good laugh out of the kick-en BB gun story. A Dad cannot think of everything.:smile5:

I was outside with my lever action Daisy. I went to reload it after shooting and the pivot pin that attached the lever to the gun fell out. So naturally I thought my gun was broke and unrepairable. I went into the house, gun in one hand, lever in the other blubbering away. Mom asked me what was wrong. I held up the gun and the lever and all I could blurt out was "my cock fell off". She burst out laughing and it made me cry even more. I don't know how many times I've been reminded of that over the years... :)

When I was maybe 6 years old my older brother had a pump action bb gun. He was in the kitchen doing something at the sink and had the gun lying on the table. My other brother was behind the cellar door and was picking on me while I was trying to eat breakfast. I got mad and grabbed the gun, and turned to the door just as he was about to come out to hit me and I pulled the trigger and shot him between the eyes. My sister still has his school picture with the mark on his forehead. Needless to say that he got very mad and stuck it against my butt and shot me and the bb is still there.

When I was maybe 6 years old my older brother had a pump action bb gun. He was in the kitchen doing something at the sink and had the gun lying on the table. My other brother was behind the cellar door and was picking on me while I was trying to eat breakfast. I got mad and grabbed the gun, and turned to the door just as he was about to come out to hit me and I pulled the trigger and shot him between the eyes. My sister still has his school picture with the mark on his forehead. Needless to say that he got very mad and stuck it against my butt and shot me and the bb is still there.

and from that day forward every time Roller did a little "pffffft" and someone would look at em and say "you do that?" = Roller would respond - "it's my brothers fault - he shot a hole in my balloon back there and

How do you ever use all those in one year!!!

Had a blast collecting them,, ended up with over a thousand guns and all kinds of associated BB gun paraphanalia after a lifetime of it.. Had stuff dated all the way back into the late 1800's.. Dont know if you remember but the early 60's to mid 70's the major BB gun manufactures were really into cloning actual guns.. Got into collecting those pretty heavy.. Always loved doing actual gun shows and usually BB guns would show up there for cheap - always dragging something home with a couple real ones,, couple bucks here and there.. Also flea market and yard sale stuff.. Fun way to buy/sell "guns" without the hassle of getting a purchase permits plus the big dollar outlay..

After selling our bike business and moving into our house here, had to move the stuff in - told the wife,, wowzy - didnt know I had so many BB Guns (actually I did - just said that for an excuse LOL).. Time to simplify life.. Put a bunch of em on E-Bay,, sold great!! Most x10 and up of what I had into em.. Then one day I get a notice from E-Bay - gun violation (probably same person who wrote the Craigs ad Unc posted).. Wrote em back,, what da heck - they are antique BB guns for crying out loud... Read up in Ebay rules,,, NO FIREARMS!! Only non-lethals with "orange" tips allowed - oopss,, my bad.. Bought some orange tape - stuck em on there - back to selling BB guns.. Couple months later - notification one year suspention from E-bay!! My kids all laughed at me and called me a "gun runner".. Told all their friends about their outlaw dad busted for selling BB guns on E-Bay... :hihi:

Then found Gunbroker.com.. Same set up as Ebay actually but gun selling friendly.. Pretty neat place to check out if ya never have.. Sold bunch of em on there.. Problem was I found out how finicky gun buyers can be - even BB gun buyer.. Wayy to honest and kind hearted,, refunded money for a couple guns folks not happy with and never got em back :headache: - oh well.. Forget that idea.. Next trick - stuck em on AmericanAirguns.net = all for one money.. Guys from all over the world contacted me,, never knew air gun collecting was so popular.. Even shipped some off shore.. The pics you see in other post and here are final pics of the final sell off.. Some guys from out east came out with a van - bought everything I had left and paid me cash.. Was fun!!

sorry for yet another :hijacked: Unc = what do I owe = like a thousand or something :sign07:... :lightbulb:Come to a Puc's Meet, Greet and Eat Meat this year and I'll pay ya back in all ya can eat Hot Dogs!! :thumbsup::missingtooth::missingtooth:

DSCN7896.JPG

DSCN7862.JPG

DSCN7875.JPG

DSCN7854.JPG

DSCN8067.JPG

DSCN8054.JPG

DSCN8061.JPG

DSCN8058.JPG

I had an antique Sheridan 20 cal. that I listed on ebay. It lasted just long enough to acquire a dozen emails before it was shut down. As it turned out, I had a private auction via email and ended up selling the Sheridan for $1150.00 plus shipping to somewhere out west.

I did keep the second Sheridan and it might be as powerfull short range as a 22rf

The End

PS = good one Unc!!

http://www.trend-chaser.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/11/37628_1_large.jpg

Hey Unc,, just to show you it wasn't ol Pucster who wrote dat funky Craigslist ad!!

In one of my past lives I was known as psycho dad when I declared war on the squirrels. Just think how much damage I could've done iffin I had Puc's arsenal. Just think I could have exticnted the squirrel species for the betterment of mankind. Just think what a better place the world would've been.

I want to know where he bought this bb gun that has any kick, now days your lucky to put a dent in something, I remember the bb gun I got from my grandpa gave me I repaired it and wow. My Daisy got all but forgotten Granpa's had a kick to his and it would punch thru plywood!!! Mine would only put a dent and hole in a can. But his pierced the can!!!

I went to a wooded area to fire the BB gun, a Daisy 509 Buck, probably made by Bushmaster. I bruised my knuckles operating the cocking lever. Taking aim, I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth, and pulled the trigger. The sound of the spring loaded plunger going "boing" startled me. I became disoriented watching the BB arc towards its target. The "dink!" sound it made bouncing off a coke can was horribly loud. The recoil was horrendous, like a bazooka or some other recoilless weapon, and it dislocated my shoulder. I vomited and cried. I still have PTSD. Anxiety. Irritability. Nightmares. I may never again be the same.

Obviously the guy who who wrote this is poking fun at some of the antigun lobbyists. If you read closely the article is full of satire.

However I do remember as a Kid BB guns were readily available to any kid that wanted one and yes at times they were a danger in the wrong stupid hands. Things like cars being shot at, though not lethal in itself, a BB in the head through an open car window has caused accidents. But like anything, everything in the wrong hands is dangerous. I think the biggest danger of a BB gun is not to others but to the person carrying it due to today's gun related crime levels and there realistic look could put them in danger from some over zealous law officials.

I had an antique Sheridan 20 cal. that I listed on ebay. It lasted just long enough to acquire a dozen emails before it was shut down. As it turned out, I had a private auction via email and ended up selling the Sheridan for $1150.00 plus shipping to somewhere out west.

I did keep the second Sheridan and it might be as powerfull short range as a 22rf

Interesting.

I've an old Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm sittin' in the closet that I haven't shot in 20 years.:mo money: