IGNORED

Turn up the volume...

Scifiman

...of the pipes that is.

Looks like my first upgrade to my 08 Venture will be exhaust, the stock pipes are just too quiet, looking for a little rumble, not so loud as to be annoying on long runs. After much searching here on the forum and elsewhere it looks like the Baron 4-2-4 is the way to go, any suggestions or recommendations before I lay out some cash would be welcomed.

Also if anyone has had any issue with the Baron's that would be good to know.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4-2-4's I've heard have been too loud for my liking, but everyone's tolerance for noise levels is different. I've had several different sets of pipes, from stock to Samson's, stock= too quiet, Samson's = TOO LOUD ! I now have 2013 HD Ultra pipes and they are just right for me unless I'm pulling the trailer then the reflected volume is a bit loud on long day's in the saddle.

I had 4-2-4's and they are loud. I liked them but they were too much for my wife. I sold them and switched to the Harley takeoffs which were free and I am happy with them. Just enough rumble and after making the bracket and purchasing a couple of chrome clamps were really easy to install.

I have the 424 pipes on mine and will not let them go. I like them. I had been looking for a set for a couple years and finally got them.

I am hoping I like them as well.

...of the pipes that is.

Looks like my first upgrade to my 08 Venture will be exhaust, the stock pipes are just too quiet, looking for a little rumble, not so loud as to be annoying on long runs. After much searching here on the forum and elsewhere it looks like the Baron 4-2-4 is the way to go, any suggestions or recommendations before I lay out some cash would be welcomed.

Also if anyone has had any issue with the Baron's that would be good to know.

Thanks

Should fit your bike..... I have LA Choppers slip ons, on my '09 RSTD & quite like the sound they make. Louder & growly rather than raucous. Not silly money either.

Straight through but with a perforated baffle that I wrapped with sound absorbent material. I like them & my wife says they are not too loud even on a long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Choppers-Slip-Exhausts-Yamaha-Royal/dp/B006RAACEG

Video here

You could also consider Vance & Hines Monster ovals

i actually just went through the same decision. I settled on the Vance & Hines Monster Ovals with a set of Smartpartz baffles. It produces just the right rumble, without waking the dead. that is unless you want to, and then, it's just an aggressive throttle twist away.

Here is a link to the Monster Ovals, and also to the baffles i installed on mine. :happy34:

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html

James

• 1 month later...

I am still trying to decide on a slip on, ran into another biker on the weekend with nasty boyz , I can understand why they are called nasty boys, little too loud for me.

Monster ovals sound nice but seem very expensive, like just about anything that us Canadians need shipped from the US.

Fortnine has Rush slipons for a nice price with good reviews, does anybody have a set of these on their Venture?

https://fortnine.ca/en/rush-performance-slip-on-exhaust

Thanks for the input folks.

I have had BUBs since nearly new and they have a deep resonance but not too load. And as they age they get better.

:farmer:

I like my bubs as well, but, my tips are flaking, I may try some high temp flat black spray paint

While I was riding through the Hills I really enjoyed the quiet, but something just enough to let out some of the music without being intrusive would be great. Looking at a set of 06 HD take-offs for $20, maybe I'll go back and get them. I sure wouldnt swap them over to save weight! I'm sure someone at MD will be wearing a set and can be heard.

Ultimately a 4-2-1 with a robust baffle would be an amazing choice.

I have gone through 3 different sets till I found a pair of screamin eagle pipes, they are nasty when you jump on it, nice sound when not. I tried roadking drilled, not quite what I was looking for. I tried 3.5" rush, still tinny. I'll post a video if anyone would like to hear the eagles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have gone through 3 different sets till I found a pair of screamin eagle pipes, they are nasty when you jump on it, nice sound when not.

I went to a HD swap meet and got pipes that were factory installed on '06-'08 Screaming Eagle touring bikes, I'm pretty sure they are the SE Catalog 98 db touring mufflers. They have a rearward slash cut that follow the line of the saddlebags nicely, have a burble at idle while also a very reasonable sound at 45-65 mph. The get a little bit of drone at 80mph but for $30 I can't complain.

I did not change anything in the carbs since I only changed the exhaust. If I did substantial intake mods (air in = air out) then a re-jet may have been necessary but an exhaust alone would not substantially affect CV carbs.

I did not change anything in the carbs since I only changed the exhaust. If I did substantial intake mods (air in = air out) then a re-jet may have been necessary but an exhaust alone would not substantially affect CV carbs.

I understand your logic, however rejetting the carbs is a common necessity after the exhaust is changed. An exhaust system which has less resistance to the flow of exhaust will require jetting which increases the amount of fuel entering the engine. I guess the best way to understand this is that the exhaust valves require time to open and close and during their closing period the intake valves are starting to open. For a split second there is a direct path between the intake and exhaust. If the pipes allow gases to flow freely, then the loss of intake charge is increased. It is extremely common that carbs need to be rejetted richer after changing to more open exhaust pipes. A big pain, but true. For most commercially available pipes there is an "accepted" rejetting suggested by other users. If you get into totally custom stuff, then it might be necessary to get an air/fuel sensor and gauge so that you can actually measure what is going on. Not trivial since it requires a threaded connection to be welded into the exhaust. I had to do that with my bike.

zag

Reducing the exhaust restriction increases the volume, the carb adjusts fuel for air volume (otherwise you'd need a different jet at 3,500 rpm vs 6,000 rpm). What a carb does not know is the density (or mass) of air coming into the system that varies with elevation changes. This is why modern cars have gone to Fuel Injection as it compensates via the Mass Air Sensor. Aftermarket exhausts change the volume of air through the engine but does not change the mass of the air through the engine. Removing a restriction on the intake side before the carburetor can increase the mass of the air going through the engine and the carburetor will need to be rejetted.

Edit: Granted carberation and jetting is a compromise across the engine speeds...but most anyones bike here is pretty well jetted from the factory where as (previously stated) a set of stock HD or even SE pipes would not throw us out of range.

Edited by BratmanXj

• 9 months later...
Finally got myself a set of Monster Ovals off Kijiji, great shape, nice price.

Now to scour the forum and track down the baffles, clamps, and brackets I am going to need to put these babies on.

Use these baffles. Gets rid of the obnoxious harmonics that will give you a headache. Nice rumble at idle and cruising. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html

At the end of this video, the guy shows how to make "easy" to make brackets. He shows a nut that he had welded on for the mount bolt. I just drilled the hole big enough for the stock mounting bolt and bought nuts to fit. Just use a piece of cardboard to make the templates.

You can use the stock clamps from the stock mufflers.

One question...

...I have found the templates in the tech section for both straight and L bracket to mount RK Slip-On, I am mounting Monster Ovals and have seen some posts that claim the mount on an RK is offset for the Monster Ovals. So question is will the templates in the tech section work for the Monster Ovals?

Is there a different template I need to track down?

Thanks guys