IGNORED

Time for tires

It's time to order some new tires for the '05. Late last night I took a quick look but quickly got frustrated and decided I would deal with it later. It seems that every site I went to either had the front or the rear but not both. I had hoped that Dunlop would come out with the Elite 4's in our sizes but apparently that hasn't happened. I plan to stay with the 150 up front so that really limits our options. I have to look again but I THINK that Michelin makes the Commander II in our stock sizes. I hope so. I will take another look but I didn't see the Elite 3 in the 150 front.

Don,

I ran the E3s on my 07 and liked them a lot, good traction and good wear, I do not recall the exact number for the rear , but I do recall it being different than how you expect the size to be called out and I trusted the shop to order and install the correct one.

Dunlop has come out with an E4, but over on the Goldwing forum there have been reports of them being slippery on wet roads. As always one rider will complain while another will praise the same tire in the same conditions, but I never had a complaint about the E3s I ran.

For all its worth, I have been running Commander II's for the past 4 years and will stick with them as long as they make them. :cool10: They are not available in the 150 size for the front, so I run the 130. Improves low speed handling greatly with no ill effects at higher speeds. I get 2 seasons out of a set for about 20K KM's (12K miles). They are quiet, immune to snaking and work well in all conditions, except snow. :stirthepot: It would be great if they would come out with a wide white wall as I would prefer that. Maybee someday! :confused24:

Correction. Looks like they DO have the 150 front in the Elite 3 but are you guys that run the Elite 3 using the MV85B15 on the rear? That's the closest thing that I see.

LOL-I did a search of the site to confirm....that is the correct size dor the rear.

Well, I went with the Elite 3. Never used them before but willing to give them a try. Would have gone with the Michelin Commanders but I already have and like the leveling links and have not heard good things about mixing the leveling links with the smaller front tire.

They should be here on Thursday but I won't be home by then anyway and don't know when I will get around to installing them. May take them to the shop and have them mounted and balanced. I've just lost my desire to do it myself. We'll see.

Hi Freebird

Thats all I run on my RSV. I get about 17k-20K each set. I do use the MV85B15 on the rear. I ride a lot in some torrential rains and that tire has held true. Solid grip on dry pavement also and the bike feels planted to me with the E3's on. Except for the original manufacturers tire. Thats the only tires I ever had. The rear for E4 is scheduled for late spring of 17, at least thats what the rep told me at the bike show. When your tread is halfway through you will start to hear a little road noise in turns but thats about it. Its not aggrevating but when the tires are new they are whisper quiet. So you notice that little bit of noise.

Edited by orlean1

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting them changed. My old rear tire chunked out on my last ride last season. Old member here Ironmike had a BF Goodrich car tire all mounted up that he took off his RSV when he traded it off. I put it on, took one short ride and parked it for the winter. I might have given it a chance except that it probably sits at least an inch lower than it used to. Completely negated the leveling links that I have installed.

My front tire was getting near the end but I thought the rear was good. Still had a lot of tread on it. BUT...at LEAST I will be getting rid of the white walls. :)

Hey Don, are you going to ask us which brand of oil to use next???

LOL....I think I have that one down. :) These tires always turn out to be a pain. I ran the original Michelin Commanders and liked them except that they howled in the sweepers. They made it in the 150 front though. I would have liked to try the Commander II but not the 130 front with the leveling links.

I then started using Avon Venoms. Liked them except that I had the sidewall cracking problem on two sets. Won't use them again.

So I had heard good things about the Elite 3 but then they have that weird size for the rear. Why does it have to always be so confusing. :)

HEY...I'm getting OLD you know. But oil, no doubt about it. Crisco. I remember that one.

Well I know its too late but here is my .02 worth. When got my RSV it had Dunlap E-3 on it, I think the PO didnt check pressures much as it was worn weird. Then it got the growl in corners. And not just fast ones. Also in the wet, not real rain just wet they were slippery. I accredited it to no cross groves in tread pattern. The center has no cross groves. So then I went to the MC 2 and used the 130 up front. They were great wet or dry and got great mileage like 12-15k. Then went to a Shinko on the rear (MC 2 on front was fine) I think the Tourmaster 230 but not positive now.

So b rings me to the Vic Cross Country. Currently has the E-3 radial on it. Rear tire doing the same saw tooth thing and growls like crazy in corners. So you think you are limited on tire choices? Try finding a 180/60r16. Only 2 choices Dunlap or Avon, Shinko makes one in that size, but load rating is not high enough. So I decided to change both tires and went with Continental Milestones. Dont know it they make anything to fit the RSV. But the Shinkos are a good tire for the price for sure. Will they last as long as a MC 2? I dunno I only put about 5-7k on mine before I traded, but it looked like new.

And I once could claim ta be a biker. Still not sure what I'll put in it. Just cain't see that price for oil. Thing still only has about 5k on that oil. I'm 80 % sure something is going to come out of that garage this year. Doc says no because of trouble I'm having healing but she don't know ****!!! Didn't mean ta steal thread don't take much ta set me off lately.:backinmyday: I'll go to store one of these days and grab something off shelf and change that oil!!

85 with voyager??

86 with voyager???

99 with voyager??

83 with Voyager???

Tell Warden it ain't happening and RIDE!!!!

quit

I really don't think the oil is as big a deal as WE make it. Just use a good oil and change it as you should. That 4T Racing should be good for 6K but I cain't do it. It is sneaking up on 5k and that's more than I have ever ran. All I read it should be good for at least 6k??? Cain't find that in my book.

I really don't think the oil is as big a deal as WE make it.

Any maintenance is better than no maintenance. I don't stress the "brand" oil as much as I do regular oil changes & maintenance.

Then went to a Shinko on the rear (MC 2 on front was fine) I think the Tourmaster 230 but not positive now.

But the Shinkos are a good tire for the price for sure. Will they last as long as a MC 2? I dunno I only put about 5-7k on mine before I traded, but it looked like new.

I ran the Tourmaster 230 for about 9-10k miles; stuck like hell the whole time, pretty good in the rain and I think I purchased the tire for under $100.

It's time to order some new tires for the '05. Late last night I took a quick look but quickly got frustrated and decided I would deal with it later. It seems that every site I went to either had the front or the rear but not both. I had hoped that Dunlop would come out with the Elite 4's in our sizes but apparently that hasn't happened. I plan to stay with the 150 up front so that really limits our options. I have to look again but I THINK that Michelin makes the Commander II in our stock sizes. I hope so. I will take another look but I didn't see the Elite 3 in the 150 front.

For What It Is Worth, here a link to the Ventures site look at the tech section for tires and wheels the last post has a lot of good tire info, I can not post a link directly to that topic.

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002014&id=374

I was reading on the GL forum that folks on GLs have been complaining about Metzlers delaminating much like Venture riders have in the past, come to find out Metzler makes a special 888 for the Goldwing where they beefed up the carcass with extra layers to take the weight and stop the delaminating, to bad they did not do the same for the Venture, and no, the Goldwing tires are not the same size as the Venture tires.