IGNORED

No more Schreaming Eagle kits

slowrollwv

I saw this on another forum. I do not know how true it is.

H-D CEASES SALES OF PERFORMANCE DEVICES THAT ADD TO AIR POLLUTION

Without conceding, Harley-Davidson will pay $15 million in fines and penalties to settle a federal lawsuit brought by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) accusing the American motorcycle-maker of selling illegal performance devices that increase pollution.

Under terms of the settlement on Thursday, August 19, 2016 Harley is to stop selling its "Screamin' Eagle" Pro Super Tuners by August 23, and to buy back and destroy all such tuners in stock at its dealerships. H-D must also deny warranty claims if owners continue to use the "illegal devices."

The consent decree resolves government allegations that Harley-Davidson sold roughly 340,000 "super tuners" since 2008 that, once installed, cause motorcycles to emit higher amounts of certain air pollutants than what the Milwaukee-based manufacturer certified to the EPA. According to the EPA, the modified settings increase power and performance, but also increase the motorcycles’ emissions of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.

Harley did not admit liability, and said in a statement it disagrees with the government's position arguing that the devices were designed and sold to be used in "competition only." The Motor Company said the settlement represents "a good faith compromise with the EPA on areas of law we interpret differently, particularly EPA's assertion that it is illegal for anyone to modify a certified vehicle even if it will be used solely for off-road/closed-course competition."

An EPA spokesman said that the vast majority of these tuners were used on public roads, and the sale of such "defeat devices" violates the federal Clean Air Act. Harley was also accused of selling more than 12,600 motorcycles that were not covered by an EPA certification that ensures a vehicle meets federal clean air standards.

"Given Harley-Davidson’s prominence in the industry, this is a very significant step toward our goal of stopping the sale of illegal after-market defeat devices that cause harmful pollution on our roads and in our communities," said John Cruden, head of the Justice Department's environmental and natural resources division.

The EPA has been investigating after-market part emission issues for more than five years. In 2012, Suzuki Motor Corp paid an $885,000 fine to EPA for selling 25,458 ATVs and dirt bikes because they were built to allow for the installation of an after-market part that increased horsepower and emissions.

F'n gummerment drives me nuts, they're all over occasional use motorcycles but the POST OFFICE runs a HUGE fleet of crappy old ford 4 bangers that pollute 10 times what all those hardlys do and it runs them 7-8 hours a day 300 days a year. (more now, they deliver Amazon on Sundays too) Cause, whine, snivel, it would be expensive to replace them. BS turds.

This was a big news story locally, since Harley is located here. As it was reported locally, Harley must offer to by back every single unit that they ever sold, not just what the dealers have in stock.

I'm betting that in reality they will buy very few of them back.

I wonder if this was just a first step by the EPA to go after a small company in a niche market (compared to the auto industry, Harley is a fly on the wall) to set a precedent before they go after all of the automotive tuners that are out there.

Where the Auto market may escape is that it is not the auto makers that are selling a product that will raise emissions, it is all 3rd party devices.

I too was wondering about all the aftermarket tuners out there as well as exhausts. I never went with the Harley stuff on my Road Glide. I had a Dyno Power Vision and V&H mufflers. A quick read of the Harley forums will show that most go with aftermarket units.

Many also offer these tuners and etc. for other brands. Indian, Victory, etc. I even have Dyna3000 ignition module on my RSV.

The auto tuners like Superchips claim their tunes are emission legal. Don't know about that but I have a Superchips tune in my 2002 F150 and my 2005 Dodge Magnum Hemi. It added a guesstimated 20 hp to my F150 and they had a dyno chart on the Hemi that showed a 12hp peak increase and 15 ft lbs of torque throughout the rpm range. I like what they did to both vehicles. Improved the fuel economy in both vehicles.

" In 2012, Suzuki Motor Corp paid an $885,000 fine to EPA for selling 25,458 ATVs and dirt bikes because they were built to allow for the installation of an after-market part that increased horsepower and emissions. "

Yeah the makers will have to get rid of an easy to access electrical plug where the tuner chip circuit can be inserted.

I feel old carburated bikes will be grandfathered/ignored for a long time to come.

Guest Jamsie
Don't know much about them but if 1700 Isn't Big Bucks then I would hate to see them go higher...

since most parts for my RSV come from america and i have to pay as much if not more for postage , then import duty , i might try these. they are 19" long , but they do stainless extensions as well

http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/turnout-cruisers-36mm-44mm-19-inch.html

" In 2012, Suzuki Motor Corp paid an $885,000 fine to EPA for selling 25,458 ATVs and dirt bikes because they were built to allow for the installation of an after-market part that increased horsepower and emissions. "

Yeah the makers will have to get rid of an easy to access electrical plug where the tuner chip circuit can be inserted.

I feel old carburated bikes will be grandfathered/ignored for a long time to come.

You do realize we are talking about the Guderment right? But I tell you one thing, My 79 Pontiac Grand Prix had more Umph then My Tahoe. It was down on horsepower I would guess being a 301 C.I. motor. My Tahoe Has the 325 C.I. and it feels puny. Haven't tested it, but the Grand Prix would get away from me if I didn't watch the speedometer.

Lawsuits will be a flyin. I can see if HD gets busted for seeing or making this stuff its going to roll down hill. If I'm HD and get whacked for aftermarket stuff being illegal, I'm suing any company or feds that allow someone else say Dyna jet to make the same parts I just got fined for. Tons of the Victory guys are running, cam advance gears, timing controllers and aftermarket pipes/exhaust. So is Vance and Hines next on the extinction list? Cobra? I think the suits from HD beat this thing down and it all goes away quietly. As has been mentioned if they go after the motorcycle market, do you really think the truck aftermarket is far behind? Actually to me its kind of funny. My 96 Cummins makes better power stock than one that is like 5-6 yr newer.